3DCoat Forums

i cant get it to bake

Lizbot

I am getting a lot of issues with this program its becoming impossible to know whether its part of the program and i have done something wrong or if its just a bug. In any case I am frustrated and wasted over 70 hours on projects in the last three weeks that end up having to be trashed because i cant get it to bake, or the normal map shows seams in the bake, but the same process worked properly before, Im so annoyed. I even updated to the new release and still happening.

18 minutes ago, Lizbot said:

I am getting a lot of issues with this program its becoming impossible to know whether its part of the program and i have done something wrong or if its just a bug. In any case I am frustrated and wasted over 70 hours on projects in the last three weeks that end up having to be trashed because i cant get it to bake, or the normal map shows seams in the bake, but the same process worked properly before, Im so annoyed. I even updated to the new release and still happening.

I already replied to you on your thread about having problems with 3DCoat and SL workflow. I already told you the problems I encountered with 3DCoat exporting to SL with Collada files. You never even provided a video to explain exactly what the problems were and the only problem I found was Collada export didn't work well with UVsets. Carlosan reported the bug and someday Andrew should fix it, so I said that the best way to do it is to export it as OBJ and and then re-export as Collada in Blender or Maya or a 3D software you have available, because OBJ loads textures just fine but Collada is just a mess.
I did the whole workflow to and even used the SL beta grid to make the test uploading models and all. But you never replied so I thought all your problems were gone. 

If you are getting seams in your model it is either, problems with UVs, like having totally different texel density between objects and UVsets and all that, not enough padding and stuff like that. if you mean you are getting seams in SL or another software is because you have the wrong type of normal map, For example: SL uses OpenGL +Y style, UE4 uses -Y, and it is just about flipping the green channel so you could fix it in any image editor.
3DCoat can be unstable like attaching smart materials to layers and stuff like that, and can get bugs from time to time, but for a workflow like sculpting, retopo UVs and painting, it should work, like I said, if it is about SL, I made the tests and it was okay the way 3DCoat does things as long as you dont use the collada export, but seams or a bad bake = user error.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emi said:

I already replied to you on your thread about having problems with 3DCoat and SL workflow. I already told you the problems I encountered with 3DCoat exporting to SL with Collada files. You never even provided a video to explain exactly what the problems were and the only problem I found was Collada export didn't work well with UVsets. Carlosan reported the bug and someday Andrew should fix it, so I said that the best way to do it is to export it as OBJ and and then re-export as Collada in Blender or Maya or a 3D software you have available, because OBJ loads textures just fine but Collada is just a mess.
I did the whole workflow to and even used the SL beta grid to make the test uploading models and all. But you never replied so I thought all your problems were gone. 

If you are getting seams in your model it is either, problems with UVs, like having totally different texel density between objects and UVsets and all that, not enough padding and stuff like that. if you mean you are getting seams in SL or another software is because you have the wrong type of normal map, For example: SL uses OpenGL +Y style, UE4 uses -Y, and it is just about flipping the green channel so you could fix it in any image editor.
3DCoat can be unstable like attaching smart materials to layers and stuff like that, and can get bugs from time to time, but for a workflow like sculpting, retopo UVs and painting, it should work, like I said, if it is about SL, I made the tests and it was okay the way 3DCoat does things as long as you dont use the collada export, but seams or a bad bake = user error.

You guys might be all pros but i am a beginner. 1. I dont know how to upload a video of this. 2. There is not a lot of tutorials for 3dcoat and zero for using it in SL. the issue im talking about now is a separate one from the wallotext answer you kindly gave me last issue. I scrapped that project because i have two weeks left before i have surgery and wont be able to touch anything for 6 weeks. and ive wasted 4 with files being corrupted etc. In retopo room... my entire high res sculpt and retopo layer totally disappears for no reason intermittently... ive just updated my graphics driver as carlosan suggested and hopefully that will sort it.

What is texel density between object and uvset

how much padding should i have

how do i flip the green channel (or even find it) I know SL uses OpenGL but thats then end of my knowledge about it.

In the paint room i am using smart materials on layers and painting, i must be doing this wrong or something. i thank you for the answers youve given and sorry for not responding i got overwhelmed.

20 minutes ago, Lizbot said:

You guys might be all pros but i am a beginner. 1. I dont know how to upload a video of this. 2. There is not a lot of tutorials for 3dcoat and zero for using it in SL. the issue im talking about now is a separate one from the wallotext answer you kindly gave me last issue. I scrapped that project because i have two weeks left before i have surgery and wont be able to touch anything for 6 weeks. and ive wasted 4 with files being corrupted etc. In retopo room... my entire high res sculpt and retopo layer totally disappears for no reason intermittently... ive just updated my graphics driver as carlosan suggested and hopefully that will sort it.

What is texel density between object and uvset

how much padding should i have

how do i flip the green channel (or even find it) I know SL uses OpenGL but thats then end of my knowledge about it.

In the paint room i am using smart materials on layers and painting, i must be doing this wrong or something. i thank you for the answers youve given and sorry for not responding i got overwhelmed.

It's not about being a Pro, but I always get curious about it, didn't touch SL for 5 years and I only installed it becuase I wanted to see what issues you might enconter when using 3DCoat. It's been a while since I heard someone working on SL and I would never thought I would see it on 3DCoat forum to be honest. So I got curious but 3DCoat seemed to do a fairly decent job, the only problem was Collada.

And video would make things easier, people use free OBS for video or you could also get ShareX which supports screenshots and video. A video makes it easy to replicate and see if an option is turned on that shouldn't be turned on or something and understand better an issue you might get. If you want you can always create a thread, or send me a PM here or on SL. if you need help. it worked for me on the SL beta grid, and I ended up uploading normal maps and all to see how it looked and it was fairly decent workflow with 3DCoat.

Answering your questions, the padding is relative to the size of the texture size, I usually use 16px, you know, some decent amount space between UV islands. 3DCoat I think does it automatically, like depending on the texture you set and all that so you shouldn't worry about this, as long as the UVs are unwrapped and arrange well on the UVset.

About texel density, this explains in detail what it is exactly https://youtu.be/5e6zvJqVqlA  but basically it is needed to make the textures look good between objects and UV islands, like objects and faces need to have similar texel density because if one of your UV island in one UVset is so much bigger in density compared to another UV island in another UVset, then the texture might look off, since one texture will have a better texture or will show more details and stuff than the other one that might look more pixelated or blurried so you would get issues like that. And this would play a big role especially if you are putting like connected faces from the same object in different UVsets or have different objects on different UVsets and anything like that. You know, to make it look uniform and nice, instead of better texture on one side of an object and blurry texture on the other one.

About flipping the green channel, if you are in Photoshop or some program where you can have access to the channels, you can just invert the green channel with ctrl + i, you could also use curves, like I do in Photoline because the software is kind of weird, but with curves you only go to green channel and the curve will look like like / so you just move the points to make it look the opposite \. But in 3DCoat settings if you are using Unknown preset, you have to set the normal map export as Maya, Blender. I only always use the unknown preset since choosing a specific preset will ignore what's on settings get the settings from some XML files, so to have more control I always use Unknown. and by default 3dcoat is set to 3dsmax, LW.

about things disappearing, well, it shouldn't happen. I have been using decently 3DCoat baker and it always does a decent job. So hope updating the graphics card solved the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1