3DCoat Forums

sculpt to retopo

majora

Hey!   i am a bit stuck here.

i have a scanned guy and want to replace parts of the scan with fitted basemesh geometry.

1721568437_Screenshot2019-04-2112_18_52.thumb.png.81455604541cbc6e6b3cade21c08ed9e.png

just quickly connected the face and import this to 3DC

416355226_Screenshot2019-04-2112_15_22.thumb.png.adf3329e17d132cdfbc37f25182db36a.png

now in 3DC i would like to smooth the geometry a bit, and then fix the uv seams and unwrap again.

738240939_Screenshot2019-04-2112_21_18.thumb.png.facbe2fe918b13a2505bcfab713b3366.png

here in the retopo room it seems like i have all tools i need. 

there is UV to mark the seams, and a unwrap button in commands.

also a brush tool in tweak, which works.. but its smoothing with "shift" does not seem to have any effect. (?)

the question is, can i go to sculpt and do a bit of geometry smoothing there ??

200506243_Screenshot2019-04-2112_21_49.thumb.png.57bad73b1b839cd8b927dad307fb0b69.png

this is with the geometry smoothed a bit along the area where the face is connected to the scan.

but when i export this, it does not have UV anymore.

how can i get this back to retopo room or uv room  ?.. (for cleaning up the uvs)

any hint would be highly appreciated.

do i need any kind of baking operation to get this smoothed polygons onto the mesh with the existing UV ?

thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks carlosan and abnRanger!

i still have a hard time understanding the supposed workflow for 3dc..  regarding my tasks.

usually i would think i could import a lowpoly (20k) 3d scan of a person and then just work on it.. 

- remove the floor under the feet

- delete the old uvs and mark new seems and do a new unwrap

- remove and re-arrange edges and polygons 

- smooth and brush other polygons.

- maybe even to partially retopo.. to rebuild pieces of the mesh.

all while staying in polygon mode and not fundamentaly changing the mesh.

with my current abilities in 3dc i keep exporting and importing the obj to the different rooms to do my steps.

but i strongly feel like doing it wrong.

right now. when i have the obj in uv room, and then change to retopo, i can see the object, but i can not do anything on it, (except starting a new thing with building new polygons)

here for example:    the mesh is mostly fine and done... so i imported it to uv room to mark seams and unwrap.

but along the way i found these 2 bugs.

1096867069_Screenshot2019-05-0115_37_20.thumb.jpg.b58984e61f2bc614dfa3e7f76a1a1263.jpg

would it even be possible to just jump over to the retopo room and fix those 2 things,

and then go back to the uv room and continue my seams ?

or do i need a better more structured workflow, where i do not go back and forth different tasks ?

or is this not even the right task for this program ?

• Contributor

"with my current abilities in 3dc i keep exporting and importing the obj to the different rooms to do my steps" increases the danger of errors.  Best to import to Sculpt >Retopo/Bake>Paint. If is important for you to save the original mesh,  import to Retopo to get the mesh and save it as a .mesh. Then you can snap it to your sculpted object in Retopo.

The 'object' in the UV room is baked, so no changes (in Retopo) will be allowed. If you wish to retopologize something, you must delete the baked  version (Paint Object).