3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Z Direction Up

riuthamus

So, recently I wanted to make my models in Maya using Z direction up. This makes for importing into UE4 much easier, however when I do this and I try to import into 3dcoat I am no longer able to paint the model properly. It is like the normals or something get jacked. Has anybody else had this issue?

This is the import settings:

image.thumb.png.877da65b35e527ca3e854f7a563873c2.png

This is the result
image.thumb.png.1c915fad01d0ecce6386c308ac3c5b47.png

This is what it looks like in Maya when I export it

image.thumb.png.3732e09bf7fd8680d8f618bd6b2d3c78.png

Edited by riuthamus

@Emi not sure if you watched the video or not but clearly that wasnt the problem. The face issue was related to the normals and importing normals from Maya over. It works flawlessly when I do not import with Z axis up. So, there is an issue with computation of normals upon import of only when exporting using Z axis from maya. I will check to see if there is something I missed on export of the FBX but the stuff mentioned doesnt seem to be linked at all.

I looked and it was not set to Y, changed it now and will be testing, results to be posted shortly.

image.thumb.png.ba1e8b7665e025ad850b904abe891a9b.png

Edited by riuthamus

40 minutes ago, riuthamus said:

@Emi not sure if you watched the video or not but clearly that wasnt the problem. The face issue was related to the normals and importing normals from Maya over. It works flawlessly when I do not import with Z axis up. So, there is an issue with computation of normals upon import of only when exporting using Z axis from maya. I will check to see if there is something I missed on export of the FBX but the stuff mentioned doesnt seem to be linked at all.

I looked and it was not set to Y, changed it now and will be testing, results to be posted shortly.

image.thumb.png.ba1e8b7665e025ad850b904abe891a9b.png

I watched it and I tested it, I have installed 4.8.38 and it works fine here, I tested with Y and Z-Up, with locking and not locking normals, with bad UVs, automap and UVs like yours, which were only seen on the video.

Locking the normals worked fine, 3DCoat even exports the same normals I sent to 3DCoat on the FBX, vertex normals look the same in Maya in both files before 3DCoat and after 3DCoat, so nothing gets recalculated unless I don't lock the normals, I even tested with a Maya 2015+ preset like you have set, which I never use because presets ignore whatever is on 3DCoat's preferences and do whatever a tiny XML says, reason why I always use Unknown because that's the one that take into account what preferences say and does depend on hidden settings in a XML file. I even used 3DCoats UV room and all to see if that changed anything or not, everything worked as expected.

So, the locking normals works, the painting works, and everything works as expected. The Z-up works as expected, but like I said, which you clearly didn't know, was that it had to be done at export time from Maya, not the workspace used in Maya (which shouldn't be needed by most softwares, but it has to be done for 3DCoat so whatever)  But thanks to that I even found out that the mesh has to be exported as Y-up from 3DCoat if I want my model to have the same orientation that I see in 3DCoat viewport in other software like S. Painter, Marmoset and Maya Y and Z workspace, because those programs automatically orient the FBX file properly.

So probably my issue is I didn't get any issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Z Direction Up