3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Severe loss of resolution in sculpt room

jima

Since first using 3dc I have been struggling with resolution in the sculpt room. I can look at a model in other tools and the lines and edges are crisp and sharp.  I can import that same model into the paint room and it stills looks correct. Opening 3dc in sculpt room  and then importing the model there starts with  the model in a severely lower resolution. Why can't the sculpt room import and display these models correctly? Edges and lines of the model can be jagged. I increase resolution and use subdivision and this helps some. I don't see others complaining about this, so it appears to be some mistake I am making. It really hinders my enjoyment of the product. Thank you all.

• Advanced Member

I think the shader smooths those edges.  Try edit the  setting of the shader that is applied to the object, check flat shading.

It would be nice if 3d-coat has option to flat shade or keep edges on the import menu.

Edited by animk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flat shading was the solution. I've been living with this for 4 years. I wrote to Andrew early on and he advised increasing the resolution several times.  It seems like a majority of folks in the community are well experienced in voxel and surface modeling - all of my experience is in Rhino nurbs modeling. The video above was excellent (as usual).I'm having a related problem, but I will create a new thread.

It seems like there are a lot of videos on youtube and other places. I really wish there was a standard orientation. I guess I would advise others to "pipe up" with problems and get answers from those more experienced. It always feels like I am complaining, but I can't think of another way.

I will go ahead say that I am willing to pay money for tutoring in 3dc. I'd be glad to have it recorded and posted for all to learn from. Thanks to AbnRanger, especially, for his many videos.

Also animk, your status shows as neophyte, but you know more than me.  Sometimes a group of people who are new to a subject is the best source for discovering problem areas that could use more explanation. Thank you for your insight.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Severe loss of resolution in sculpt room