3DCoat Forums

WIP Stylized Skeletor

Hey all, Still getting the hang of the program and sculpting as a whole, I'm fairly happy with the look of my character (aside from his hands, but those are the bane of my existence in 2D why wouldn't it be in 3D??) I'll still probably tweak things a bit more, but I was wondering what would be the best next step to take it more into a posable figure. Is it best to do repo work, then paint, and then just take to another program (for me Cinema4D) to give him (real) bones (comedy!) and pose and render in there? Any workflow suggestions would be great, and if there's any tutorials to follow for bits feel free to suggest.

Thanks!

skeletor.png

• Advanced Member

Nice character there Mr Monkey.

If he were mine at that stage my process would be , vertex paint him , pose him using the pose tool, export to Marmoset to render. Done ( does Cinema 4d have vertex colours?)

( of course if you are animating him or doing loads of poses go the retopo way. But for a couple of nice posed renders just pose him as is, dont forget to save your neutral pose of course. I used to do all that retopo mularkey, but now I dont .)

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, ButtonsTheMonkey said:

I don't think I'd go about animating it, just would like to do a fun pose and probably "call it a day". Currently I have multiple layers of voxel/surface objects, think it's best to keep them or merge them all into one to pose?

A man after my own heart... 

i would keep everything as separate objects and even consider separating the arms and legs then you could duplicate them and have one set hidden whilst you pose the other ones .

Also ( for my workflow in Marmoset Toolbag) separate objects can  have different surface properties, but not if they are all combined . ( vertex paint method only contains colour info not spec but image mapped objects can have both. But I find that little drawback is far outweighed by not having to retopo and bake. I can always do a spec render then comp in photoshop. But generally dont even bother these days.)

So on Skellator , what I would do is paint him in 3dcoat ( vertex paint), pose him,  export the scene as OBJ ( whilst in the Sculpt room.) Open in Marmoset and play with the surface properties - maybe a slightly shiny skull, and for the cape there is a sort of fuzz shader to apply.

Another note, I would be quite happy rendering in 3dcoat , all I find its missing for my purposes is bounced colour and refractive glass.

Just remember there is no real set way of doing it right and wrong , it is whatever is a good fit for you

I ended up splitting the legs at least, figured I had to when they wouldn't move independently. I think I'm finished with this guy for now, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and didn't want to leave it undone. It was my actual attempt into actually learning the program, I tried a few times but just got overwhelmed and frustrated, but I really wanted to push passed all that with this one. Now I know more and think I can move onto something different now that I know more, do things smarter.

Thanks for all your input all!

skeletor2.thumb.png.6f4823530242577e96908659f6953a9d.png

• Like 4