3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Is there a way to import displacement map in sculpt room ?

polynut

• Advanced Member

Hi guy's

Just trying to see if it is possible to import a displacement map to deform an object in the sculpt room, i know you can use alpha but what i was looking for more like in mudbox where you can use an image to deform the geometry via import .

This kind of workflow is pretty handy when you want to try various displacement map to deform said object.

• Reputable Contributor

What you want to do is BAKE the Displacement to a higher res mesh. To do that in 3DCoat, currently the only way is to import the mesh into the Paint Room in Micro-Vertex mode > IMPORT Menu > Import Displacement Map > make any tweaks needed while in the Paint room via depth painting > FILE MENU > EXPORT > EXPORT LARGE MESH.

That will bake the displacement to a mesh. That file can then be exported into the Sculpt Workspace

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

What you want to do is BAKE the Displacement to a higher res mesh. To do that in 3DCoat, currently the only way is to import the mesh into the Paint Room in Micro-Vertex mode > IMPORT Menu > Import Displacement Map > make any tweaks needed while in the Paint room via depth painting > FILE MENU > EXPORT > EXPORT LARGE MESH.

That will bake the displacement to a mesh. That file can then be exported into the Sculpt Workspace

Thank AbnRanger that's what i initially thought but was wondering if possible without switching room for quick iterations.

• Advanced Member
On 6/3/2019 at 9:14 PM, digman said:

In the sculpt room...

You could create your own shader using a converted displacement map to a normal map. In the shader control you can adjust the intensity of the normal map.  The shader uses cube mapping. 

The real displacement created on the sculpt room object by the normal map can be baked to the paint room. You can test several normal maps this way.

The above might not meet your need but it is a way.

Thank Digman i will give it a try.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Is there a way to import displacement map in sculpt room ?