3DCoat Forums

Finally Apple to release a new Mac Pro

• Advanced Member

005.jpg.f555de4dc5c08a2f3ae9fafa3601ad7c.jpg

https://wccftech.com/mac-pro-apple-intel-amd-launch/

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-11_42_42-PM-1480x772.thumb.png.30fa592e556b468bcbed846c257d644b.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-11_43.17-PM-1480x772.thumb.png.c9159153c3ab5aa16714668353b31502.png

GPU options for the MacPro start from AMD’s Radeon 580X and go all the way up to the Radeon Pro Vega II. The aforementioned 56 teraflops of output is achieved by equipping the Mac Pro with two APX modules, which allows two Vega IIs on the rig, for a combined output of 56 teraflops.

To expand the Mac Pro ecosystem, and to learn from the past, Apple also introduced its custom expansion card for the Mac Pro earlier today. This card, dubbed as ‘Afterburner’, is an FPGA ASIC that capable of decoding 6.3 billion pixels per second. It can also handle 12 streams of 4K video and 3 streams of 8K video.

The standard version of the Mac Pro will feature an eight core Intel Xeon processor that’s coupled with 256GB of SSD storage and 32GB of RAM at a $5,999 price tag. Thoughts? Let us know what you think in the comments section below and stay tuned. We’ll keep you updated on the latest.

• Advanced Member

Thoughts? This is my thought!

0713134_PE729282_S5.JPG

It's just ridiculous. My 7 years old i7  (not Xeon though) with 32GB of RAM and 3 x 256GB SSD was nowhere near even $2k.
And later it was updated with nvidia GTX1060 6GB (it's comparable with AMD’s Radeon 580X in price).

Edited by druh0o
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

This is why I've never bought a MAC or Apple product of any kind, and have no future plans to. Always overpriced. You're paying a premium just for the name, and always having to wait for newly released CG software to be offered for the OS. There always seems to be some "but we don't have that on the MAC, yet." I could never understand the appeal. I like building my own systems, especially the part where you can pick your own parts so it's exactly what you want...not what you had to settle for. I could build a Window or Linux system for less than half that.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, druh0o said:

Thoughts? This is my thought!

0713134_PE729282_S5.JPG

It's just ridiculous. My 7 years old i7  (not Xeon though) with 32GB of RAM and 3 x 256GB SSD was nowhere near even $2k.
And later it was updated with nvidia GTX1060 6GB (it's comparable with AMD’s Radeon 580X in price).

The thing that gets me is with their zillion dollars of cash warfund, and all the super high paid creative talent they've got in their super space age headquarters it takes them four years to come up with piece of junk like this  and charge more than double the price for it. Just what are they doing in there?

• Reputable Contributor
23 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

The thing that gets me is with their zillion dollars of cash warfund, and all the super high paid creative talent they've got in their super space age headquarters it takes them four years to come up with piece of junk like this  and charge more than double the price for it. Just what are they doing in there?

I agree. Not only is it price-gouging, but the design is stuck in the late 90's. The article claims they laid a rotten egg the last time, and it seems this is an encore.

• Advanced Member

Haha, I just looked through the comments in the article and found that i'm not only one with that picture :rofl:
But what makes me pissed off the most are those "legs"! Who did that?!

• Reputable Contributor
19 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

There's a lot more to this than I thought.

Wow. Just when you thought Intel was the greedy, price-gouging, evil corporation. Apple says "That's nothing. Let me show you how greed is done."

• Advanced Member

Just imagine any people buying expensive mac book pros mainly for watching movies, browsing internet, writing emails.  It looks cool when using mac books in cafes, starbucks or college campus.  These things can be done by using much cheaper laptops or even chromebooks. 

While some pros like to use mac/mac book pros,  these overpriced apple products probably don't aim for professional markets.

Edited by animk

• Advanced Member

Look. If Apple Pro Display XDR is really 10-bit, it should be compared with others 10-bit computer monitors. Compared in price and color performance.

Comparing computer monitor with video production reference monitors (like in that video) is not that correct. At least, it doesn't make sense.
In the real video (or film) production you can see a workstation that is connected to a several computer monitors AND to a reference monitor and this is a must for doing color-sensitive work!

Video production hardware is a completely different realm. And the prices there have always been high.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, druh0o said:

Look. If Apple Pro Display XDR is really 10-bit, it should be compared with others 10-bit computer monitors. Compared in price and color performance.

I agree with you but the problem with this one is how Apple marketed it.. As far as I know it's Apple's first venture in the true hardware "Pro" market and they went and released it during a consumer event. Also, Apple has used the Pro moniker before for their "Enthusiast" audience, it would be easy to think this would be another Apple consumer product.

It was the wrong venue for the release.

Now all that aside, the $1000 optional monitor stand is a pure money grab.. Borderline insulting.

• Advanced Member

Sure, they are trying to capture as much as possible. And everything is overpriced, because... just because. It's ridiculous.
Though some Eizo monitors and probably others are pretty close in price.

Edited by druh0o

• Advanced Member

Let's start by saving up for the stand and maybe one day we'll be able to afford the monitor.. For now I could place the stand in the middle of the dinner table as an expensive ornament, my guests could admire the stand while they eat. Hahaha.. Or I'll just pass ;)

• Like 1