3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 3D Coat 4-8-40 won't start - OpenCL.dll

I'm having trouble starting the 4-8-40 beta. I don't really understand what this means. Beta 4-8-39 works just fine, but is not installed at the moment. Has anyone seen this before ? Video drivers are current...

1557829696_3DCoat4-8-40dialog.jpg.fa8e9077f806beb5edcb26a327b22216.jpg

23 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Try rebooting your PC and see if that helps.

I tried rebooting after a fresh install...still no luck. I've got the same dialog as above again... Thank you for the suggestion though !!!

• Reputable Contributor
10 minutes ago, fingers said:

I tried rebooting after a fresh install...still no luck. I've got the same dialog as above again... Thank you for the suggestion though !!!

Uninstall it and try again. Something seems to have gotten corrupted during an install. It's been years since I've had a problem getting the app to install and open up properly. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 3:00 PM, AbnRanger said:

Uninstall it and try again. Something seems to have gotten corrupted during an install. It's been years since I've had a problem getting the app to install and open up properly. 

Yes, it’s been years and years for me too. I’ve downloaded .40 maybe 5 times. Before install, I’ve cleaned out everything related to 3D Coat. Each time during install, it seems to install properly. But, as soon as I try to start 3dc, I get the same dialog. I’ve rebooted after each removal, re-install... it just won’t work. So, I reinstall .39, and it works properly. Very strange. When I installed .40 on my Win10 laptop, it works just fine. Maybe, as Carlosan suggests, a fix will be in a future release. Thank you for your thoughts though, AbnRanger !!

Edited by fingers

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, fingers said:

Yes, it’s been years and years for me too. I’ve downloaded .40 maybe 5 times. Before install, I’ve cleaned out everything related to 3D Coat. Each time during install, it seems to install properly. But, as soon as I try to start 3dc, I get the same dialog. I’ve rebooted after each removal, re-install... it just won’t work. So, I reinstall .39, and it works properly. Very strange. When I installed .40 on my Win10 laptop, it works just fine. Maybe, as Carlosan suggests, a fix will be in a future release. Thank you for your thoughts though, AbnRanger !!

I think I ran into something like this a few years ago, and even reported it to Andrew, but because it worked on his end, he couldn't help. So, I thought "maybe something is causing my Anti-Virus app to block 3DCoat." I went into the EXCLUSION/EXCEPTION list and pointed to that file. Sure enough that fixed it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try this version please

12.07.2019 4.8.41

- CutOff in surface mode completely redone. Now the shape of cut is very uniform and accurate. Depth and back plane limitations produce accurate sharp cut. Soft booleans supported. This is how it looks - 

image.png
 - Better quality of the edge for curves filled inside with the polygons patch (in Coat tool).

- Much more stable and powerful Geometry->Close holes

- More stable autoretopology.

- Set of pose selection issues fixed.

- Text updater polished/ Press F2 to correct any text in 3D-Coat.

- Moving smart materials to other folder takes less space in RMB menu, it is consolidated into the single line wit submenu.

- Generally I developed new quadrangulation routine for arbitrary closed contours. Now it is used in RFill tool, later it will be used for wide variety of tools. 

Try this version please

12.07.2019 4.8.41

Hi Carlosan,
  I’ve tried both 4.8.41, and 4.8.42. They just won’t work under Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit for me. I still get the exact same dialog box as above if I try to start 3D Coat. I don’t think Win 7 is supported any longer due to file structure differences between it and more recent Win versions. So, 4.8.39 will be the last version for me.
  (Btw...the 4.8.42 download link directly under the Win logo was still leading to 4.8.40. It may be fixed now, I can’t tell as I’m on my iPad, and it’s been a few days since last checking)

19 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Yes, the last installation has changed the folder hierarchy.

Avoid to use old shortcuts.

I’ve tried using the both “exe’s”  (GL, and DX) directly within the installation folder, it just won’t work. Is there another entrance point location I’m unaware of ??? Now I’m wondering if I’m the last person running Windows 7-64bit Ultimate at this point, as I haven’t seen any others with problems of this nature.

4 hours ago, fingers said:

I’ve tried using the both “exe’s”  (GL, and DX) directly within the installation folder, it just won’t work. Is there another entrance point location I’m unaware of ??? Now I’m wondering if I’m the last person running Windows 7-64bit Ultimate at this point, as I haven’t seen any others with problems of this nature.

Hi, I'm running Windows 7-64bit Ultimate too (you're not the only one :) ).

3DCoat.4.8.42 runs ok , both DX/GL versions.

Unfortunately  I can't figure out what the problem is, but I think win7 are supported (even Vista) in the download page.

7 hours ago, Carlosan said:

3DCoat is not compatible con Intel HD Graphics. That error is common on any comp with non compatible display graphics cards.

My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce GTS 250 and has never had a problem with DX or GL 3DCoat before. Version 4.8.39 still installs and runs fine on my desktop computer...  every version above 4.8.40 through 4.8.42 has this error for me on Win 7 64bit Ultimate. 

My Windows 10 Laptop will run 4.8.42, but with my poor eyesight, it’s very hard to see. It also has an NVidia graphics card and has no problems with the latest beta versions.

Edited by fingers
Clarification of graphics cards

On 6/28/2019 at 9:00 PM, Carlosan said:

Version 4.8.40 have some stability issues.

Keep working on version 4.8.39 until next release.

sorry where are we getting version 4.8.39? all i can see is 4.8.37 which im using.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] 3D Coat 4-8-40 won't start
On 7/21/2019 at 10:40 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please drop this dll to installation folder, will it work for you?

OpenCL.dll

Thank you taking the time to look at this, Andrew !!! I’ve tried dropping the “OpenCL.dll” file into the 3DCoat root directory, after a fresh install of 4.8.44 and 4.9.01 (different installs, at different times, after a restart before install, and after install, and after removal, I still get the same exact error each time. Zbrush, Cinema4D, Hexagon, Daz Studio...etc are all working fine. And if I reinstall 3DCoat 4.8.39 it works fine also... I’m out of options here...I don’t know of anything else to try...

Mike C.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3D Coat 4-8-40 won't start - OpenCL.dll
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] 3D Coat 4-8-40 won't start - OpenCL.dll