3DCoat Forums

Has Blender 2.8 surpassed Maya (and a lot of other modeling rendering programs)?

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Sorry I posted this thread at all. 

You didn't do anything wrong by making this thread in the first place. It is inevitable there will be discussions and analysis of the tools (and their developer) that are part of this field. These software solutions are all in competition with eachother to a varying degree. The contention regarding "vs" threads is that it promotes the idea that you have to play sides, like a sports team. At some point it becomes more about defending your "team" rather than discussing the neutrally, the software itself. This is less a problem with the software and more a problem with users themselves defaulting into such behavior.

With that out of the way, it is important to discuss what 2.8 brings to the table. Whether we like it or not, Blender has become disruptive software, meaning it as a free alternative to the commercial options is highly disruptive. Knowing this, its possible to simply discuss the cause and effect it can have, as well as where it sits in comparison to the competition at this point in time.

No worries L'Ancien! I'm going to quote Raben here 

4 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

The contention regarding "vs" threads is that it promotes the idea that you have to play sides, like a sports team. At some point it becomes more about defending your "team" rather than discussing the neutrally, the software itself. This is less a problem with the software and more a problem with users themselves defaulting into such behavior.

This is exactly right. It's generally aimed but meant for specific people (ie, not you two for sure). You've got no worries. Carry on. :good2:

• Advanced Member
On 9/11/2019 at 7:51 PM, Dmitry Bedrik said:

True? How, then, without any problems, was I able to create this two years ago? (2.79 version)

YUV926-UWCw.jpg

Why do people who see something different from the Maya or 3DS Max interface go crazy saying that the blender is something uncomfortable and incomprehensible, while the blender seems to be the second, after zbrash, to go along the path of combining tools into tabs, instead of copying the interface of the word or calculator, creating an elegant and understandable menu? The problem is not the blender interface, the problem is people who experience duckling syndrome.

At the same time, the current version of the blender, having just pulled off half of the interface, ceased to be convenient and original, adding a bunch of empty and unnecessary places, instead hiding a bunch of familiar buttons that you could get right away in a bunch of other submenus that still need to be expanded and searched them there. The official blender forum is quite clogged with topics that are ignored or even blocked at the same time as no one asked users where to develop further. Perhaps it was a kind of closed ballot, what was the point then? Who gives the donate more, he offers?

As for the Eevee render, it will not be a discovery for anyone that there is a marmoset, which at the moment in some cases is simply more convenient and faster, does not require any baking or anything else. There was such a renderer, an Blender Internal, the actual difference between an Eevee and this Blender Internal is real-time lighting (preview). The essence remains the same, it is still necessary, as in game engines, to bake lighting, adjust reflections and other things.

Undoubtedly, such a render is also a cool thing for free, but not everyone needs plastic renderings without realistic lighting. Nevertheless, the render is not something for which it’s worth redoing everything so that “it would be like in Maya”.

Two years ago? I was talking about 6 to 10 years ago. Two years ago Blender had plenty of awesome modeling plug ins to do the kind of work you posted.  

• Advanced Member

Two years ago Blender had plenty of awesome modeling plug ins to do the kind of work you posted.  

Well, does Max or Maya have no addon? Given that more than half of the cool plug-ins for the blender are free - you can assume that they come with the blender by default.

And what's the point of saying that there were five, or, even "better", ten years ago? It's like comparing Pentuim 4 and Core i7. 

Ten years ago there was a blender version 2.49, and it was actually in the same condition in which its development was abandoned, and this was around 2002. 

Edited by Dmitry Bedrik

• 2 weeks later...

wow, ive been using blender for long, even before 2.8 (design was kinda ugly, but now its great) but that model on the video is really perfectly made. i doubt i can do anything similar.

as if whether blender is better than maya or not, i dont know but blender received huge 1million funding recently from epic games for no particular reason. it will only continue to grow. for me its 100% enough though

• 3 weeks later...

Source...

On 4/12/2014 at 4:29 AM, Javis said:

Forum Conduct
- No "versus" threads - Direct comparisons of one software over another are not allowed. Discussions about tools, workflows or development implementation is fine, but absolutely no "app vs app", or derogatory statements about an app. These bring needless debate that too often becomes contentious.

Let's keep the forums a fun, productive, and positive place for everyone. As a reminder, it's our practice to first privately warn users of any violations. If the user continues to push their bounds then we'll either follow with a second warning or temporary ban.