3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Flat Subdivide only a specific area

ChrisJD

I've googled around looking for a way to do this but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. 

I am importing a model from reality capture (photogrammetry), the model has a very low poly back side (from the mesh being closed by reality capture) and a high poly front side. I wanted to cut some holes in the mesh to tidy up the iron section on the top. But that didn't seem to work very well as the back was only being cut sometimes. Some googling suggested I needed a higher poly count on the back. So I subdivided (twice) the back in the sculpt (surface) room and tried again and I was able to cut properly. See attached images for front, back and back subdivided.

The only issue is I don't want to smooth when I subdivide the back. But the only way I have found to do a flat subdivide is when importing, but that does the whole mesh which bumps the poly count by a huge amount at the front which I don't want or need.

So is there anway to do a flat subdivide to a specific area of a surface mode mesh?

Thanks.

Chris

back.PNG

divide.PNG

front.PNG

Have you tried deleting the polys in RC before exporting? That might solve this problem before you even get to 3DC. Assuming I understand correctly.

If you do want to subdivide in 3DC I usually use the Live Clay tool and then turn the strength all the way down. That will give more polys anywhere you brush.

I mentioned this in a tutorial recently. It's at 8:24 in the video.

I gave up on the surface modelling approach and converted to voxels in the end. The cut tool wasn't producing very reliable results in surface mode. I was able to paint in more subdivisions with the live clay tools though, so thanks for that.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Flat Subdivide only a specific area