3DCoat Forums

Merging Symmetric UVs

gundabutcha

First post, so let me know if I'm breaking any rules here:

So I have a symmetric character with unwrapped UVs. I can manually copy and paste them onto their mirrored UV and effectively turn them into a single UV; however, this process gets very tedious when I have a lot of UVs. Is there a tool that does this for me automatically?

I'm new to the world of 3d modelling as well, so let me know if I'm doing something silly. I've added images to give you an idea of what I'm doing.

UVs.PNG

model.PNG

I  understand what you're trying to do, mirroring the UVs, I know a lot of game designers do it. I've never done it for my own projects though so I can't help with that.

On a side note though. I wonder if there's a reason why the clothes have SO many polys. Unless there's a special reason I would probably have a quarter of the poly count on the clothes.

Oh I see. I wouldn't decimate, you would end up with all triangles. It might take some time but you could just delete every other edge. You can hold shift with Delete Edges to select the whole edge loop. Usually for a character you want to keep the poly count low in order to have better deformations (bending).

• Advanced Member

symmetry as in left is the same to right?

Try and see  if the following helps :

1) delete the other half side,

2) seam and unwrap

3) select all faces

4) enable symmetry (select Y if your object is facing X red)

5) " move selected face to current layer " icon (at the bottom of the retopo room near the trash can icon)

6) bake

• Like 1