3DCoat Forums

GL version: Reference Mesh Textures & UV Issue

I'm working on a retopology project converting high res mesh and textured photogrammetry buildings into game assets.

I've previously used this workflow but I'm now having weird errors with it. Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm on a tight deadline!

I'm importing Reference Models using the standard import options on the File menu which has worked fine previously. I'm trying with a variety of different mesh resolutions from 50k up to 2 million and different textures from 2k unto 8k

With the lower mesh res imports the UVs appear to be all messed up (see 50k Reference Model picture) but when performing retop on the model and baking it, the resulting textures are fine on the baked retop model - still messed up on the Reference Mesh though. Importing the 250k and above ones there is no texture on the mesh and baking doesn't have a texture. I can't find a way to add the missing texture to the Reference Mesh - tried the various texture imports but I'm guessing they're not related to the Reference Mesh.

I've also attached an image of what the same 50k model looks like in Cheetah 3D - also imports fine into Unity3D.

The meshes have all come from Zephyr. If I process them first in Cheetah they also loose their textures as obj and fbx.

Is there a specific process to take photogrammetry models into 3D Coat I'm missing? (These are not solid models).

50k Model in cheetah 3D.jpg

2 Million Reference Model.jpg

250k Reference Model.jpg

50k Reference Model.jpg

Hello, please try this steps

1) Go to the Sculpt Room.

2) Select the Import Tool.

3) Turn on "Import without Voxelization".

4) Select your mesh with the file browser.

5) A preview of your mesh will be generated. If you can't see the mesh, most likely you will need to scale it up with the Transform Gizmo. As you scale it up you will see the "Estimated Poly Count" go up (shown in the middle of the Tool Options panel), but that number doesn't mean anything if you are importing without voxelization. Therefore in this case you can safely ignore the "Estimated Poly Count".

6) Once your mesh fits into the viewport nicely, then click on Apply and your mesh will finally be imported into 3D-Coat. The import preview however still remains, so you need to switch to a different tool to get rid of the preview.

import.JPG

keep scale.JPG

• Reputable Contributor

Version 4.8.41SL

I was having the same messed up uv map that Mediapod was having using import reference mesh with texture. 

How to fix the problem. Vertically flip the image externally. Then the texture is imported correctly. 

This is not a bug but how some software saves images, You use to have to flip Zbrush images in some applications though I do not know now if that is still the case for Zbrush exported images.

• Reputable Contributor

I see I did not look to close at your problem. My answer does not relate to you specific problem. 

You created the mask. Filled the mask with a texture but upon export the masked filled area is not exported in the final uv texture map. Is this correct. Can you share the 3DC file so I can look at it.

Try using latest version please

osxicon.pngmacOS Mojave [4.8.41]: 

http://www.pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoat/3DCoat-4.8.41.dmg

Ensure to check "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > click the "lock" > select "App Store and identified developers" (when only "App Store" is selected error message is displayed "3DCoat" can't be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store)

• Carlosan changed the title to GL version: Reference Mesh Textures & UV Issue