3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

Another possible bug. When in select mode in retopo room, set to faces, and then press delete to get rid of faces, it flicks to edges mode. wasn't doing this ever before.

• Reputable Contributor
6 minutes ago, Lizbot said:

Another possible bug. When in select mode in retopo room, set to faces, and then press delete to get rid of faces, it flicks to edges mode. wasn't doing this ever before.

That's actually a new feature, it's listed in the notes.
it selects all the edges bordering the cut

It used to select random faces accross the mesh instead.

Edit : it was introduced in 4.8.44

20.07.2019 4.8.44

- Deleting selected faces in retopo room leads to boundary edges selection.

Edited by lesaint

Just now, lesaint said:

That's actually a new feature, it's listed in the notes.
it selects all the edges bordering the cut

It used to select random faces accross the mesh instead.

how do i turn it off.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Is that happening when you check the IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS option in the Import Dialog?

Yes. When I leave the "IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS" tick off, it imports fine with existing uv's, but then you only have one UV set....which is a problem.
My model has 19 uv tiles, so it is a problem.

The only workaround my good friend Tim found, was the following.
1. Import the fbx or obj into the retopo room.
2. Create all the new UDIM sets that is needed. (1001,1002,1003...ext)
3. Use the Retopo Objects layers one at a time to move them to the newly created sets by quick selecting with "Select all faces of this layer"
4. Bake to paintroom
5. Be happy. :)

Edited by Werner_Z

• Reputable Contributor
8 minutes ago, Werner_Z said:

Yes. When I leave the "IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS" tick off, it imports fine with existing uv's, but then you only have one UV set....which is a problem.

3. Use the Retopo Objects layers one at a time to move them to the newly created sets by quick selecting with "Select all faces of this layer"
4. Bake to paintroom

Please make sure to send this issue to Andrew (support@3dcoat.com) so he can get on it.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Werner_Z said:

4. Bake to paintroom

I have not installed new 4.9 version (suprised thanks!!,) so if udim import not work any-more,, I really hope up-date ^^;

but just test with 4.8.44 SL GL (windows 10) with paint room,, and UDIM mesh (1001 to 1008) import (FBX),  it work as same as before. 

with "IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS" (ON) , but not use "Treat materials as separate texture"

I set import dialogue option, like this.

importsetting.thumb.JPG.276d211cda74459c55d428c3c16dd617.JPG

then it can load UDIM tiles as separate UV sets.  (though all material name change as UDIM tile name,  it is how 3d coat work)

UDIMimproted.thumb.JPG.00598f28276aef08c2218cd036c2b9bd.JPG

Then,, before I could adjust each UVtile with old versions,, (can adjust each UV set texture size in import dialogue I believe. .  eg 1024 or 2048 , for each UDIM tile.

but current import dialogue only show one UV set as  uvset name,  with this setting I feel.  then not up-date them,  even though I change options.(so it not clear show each UV tile name )

before, ,it showed 1001 , 1002, 1003,,, each tile name and can change resolution separately,, is not it?

Though I can still use Edit>mesh and texture resolution menu. then can manage them,. (so it is not heavy issue,,)

Anyway  I may test with  4.9 then report again. (a little bit scared,,)    manage UDIM (and material group) is important future for me too.

• Advanced Member

I only download 4.9.01 SL version, then do same thing, (use same FBX with UDIM) , it could load as separate UV sets (1001 to 1008 UV tiles)

so I afraid you may need to offer FBX which cause issue, to re-produce bug .(I know there are many case which depend on each user setting when report problems)

and thanks 3d coat team, you keep up-date often without any addotional payi :) 

I do not hesitate to buy again, if there will be  5.0  in this year. 3d coat price is reasoanble for me.. (it is only my view ,,)

• Contributor

Hey everyone,

I haven't used much 3D-Coat 4.9 yet, but it seems that this version has many bugs or issues.

Is it my impression or is the 3d-coat 4.8.44 SL version more stable than 3d-coat 4.9.01 SL?

I am a little afraid to use 3d-coat 4.9.01 SL in my project that I am sculpting for 3d printing.

So far, do you think 3d-coat 4.9.01 SL is better than version 4.8.44 SL?

• Reputable Contributor

in 4.9.01SL I can't assign keys in the customize navigation window by clicking on the Assign Keys button.
The text that tells you to press key combinations appears and just remains there, nothing happens whatever I press.

I can still assign hotkeys elsewhere by using the end key.

Anyone has the same problem ?

Hi everybody in the 3dcoat-team and congrats to the new release. Everything but one thing works fine here. The 'one thing' is the blob-command.

It does not do anything at least on my machine. I test-started with a simple sphere and developed an object, then copied the layer and merged them after

changing the position of the new object. I occurs to me, that this is may well be a 'twisted normal-bug'. 

I'm on Win 10 pro 64 bit, running the OpenGL-Version of 4.9.1. With the predecessor the 'blob-command' worked fine. Can you please have a look?

Thanks for this piece of art (3d-coat) anyway !    

Best Regards from Germany,  Klaus

26.07.2019 4.9.02

- Retopo commands like shell/extrude/etc... will not follow mouse movements, all extrusions will be commited only with the gizmo manipulations.
- Navigation keys assignment fixed.
- Painted metallicity is not destroyed by cutoff.
- Fixed different problems related to attached smart materials.
- Essentially faster switching between smart materials.
- CTRL in paint mode works like eraser if smart material enabled.
- better quality of brushing along drawn curve (especially if curve has not much points).
- Removed duplicate messages about layers locking

• Like 3

26.07.2019 4.9.02 :

- CTRL in paint mode works like eraser if smart material enabled.

Well, this is a good question!

I think everyone has in mind that CTRL is used for  "inverse" sculpting/painting , so I can't understand why change such a thing...

First of all, I find that this approach  breaks the consistence between sculpting and painting, which is not so wise, unless there is a good reason (always personal opinion).

Personally I haven't installed 4.9.02 yet, so I don't know which is the equivalent for CTRL  in paint mode.

Uff, that is going to really destroy the current workflow. What is the thinking behind overriding CTRL for inverse with this new erase function? Any other key would work just as fine.

In the meantime has anyone found the replacement key for inverting (if one exists)?

14 hours ago, Javis said:

Uff, that is going to really destroy the current workflow. What is the thinking behind overriding CTRL for inverse with this new erase function? Any other key would work just as fine.

I second that!

I mean, any key as a sticky one can be assigned to erase tool, why use a modifier key and break the standard workflow? 

I hope CTRL will restored as inverse function in the next build.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

This issue was reported.

thank you very much.

• Advanced Member

Though it depend each user work-flow, but I hope when up-date, it offer option for invert about bump(normal), color, roughness, metalness,

with check box.  then user can modify, how ctrl work. 

(there are many ways to improve, eg,, use another modifier key (eg use alt+  then assgin it for color invert only ,,, at current shift + assgin smooth,

but maybe offer with check box, which user can full customize for invert, may be best solution .( it not mater how default work,  if we can edit it easy)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I test with 4.9.02 SL

I do not know if I miss usage, but I can not freeze, or erase with stencil and  FIll tool options, what I need to .

1. generate or import cube in paint room.

2. on layer 1. Fill color as you like. (I activate color only) 

3. on layer 1 . select stencil texture,  then  set Fill tool option as Fill w eraser.

4. click" Layer" in Fill tool option to erase all layer with stencil texture.

and hide layer 0.   it not work as it should be. stencil can not count to erase at all. 

5 if I click on surface with brush, stencil seems work but, the stencil  arrange distorted strange way.

it not matter which mapping option I choosed.

This is  drop box link of movie (mp4)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13cy0hef6fk29z8/coattest2.mp4?dl=0

stencil.thumb.JPG.b8cdd936d24d32b65a7775d027625787.JPG

Then if I just color with use same brush setting, (fill tool) then click on surface, it work as it should be. (view port image and painted 

arrangement is same)

justcolorstencil.thumb.JPG.948c289f8613721faf73f297a95502af.JPG

And I can fill color with stencil just click (Layer, or surface Mat, or object) option button, in Tool options, it work.

so erase and freeze option seems break somehow, with use FIll and stencil .

Edited by tokikake
add movie link of drop box