3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Werner_Z said:

Great work guys.

I am missing the dropdown options in the pose tool. Did I miss something or is this a bug?

3dc_pose.gif

You might have to delete the OPTIONS.XML file (from MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT 4.9 folder) and restart. It might have gotten corrupted, somehow, because the list menu works properly on my end (Windows)

• Advanced Member
56 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

You might have to delete the OPTIONS.XML file (from MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT 4.9 folder) and restart. It might have gotten corrupted, somehow, because the list menu works properly on my end (Windows)

That worked. Thanks AbnRanger.

There are other areas that is still broken. like missing  curves in Voxel mode. They are available only in Surface mode at the moment.3DC_curves.thumb.jpg.df0c2945af634487c03222f3995ac573.jpg

3DC_curves_05.jpg

• Contributor

Adding to the displacement artifacts from UV creation, here is the typical glitches I've been seen and was confirmed by Carlosan. This has been going on for over a year! i don't know how people are able to sell what they create, I haven't been able to finish any work because of this and although i love 3DCoat in concept and design I keep wondering if I should move on to a different paint program to do this task.

image.thumb.png.4f28a547db9c68d2b65fcc558898813a.png

• Contributor
4 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Adding to the displacement artifacts from UV creation, here is the typical glitches I've been seen and was confirmed by Carlosan. This has been going on for over a year! i don't know how people are able to sell what they create, I haven't been able to finish any work because of this and although i love 3DCoat in concept and design I keep wondering if I should move on to a different paint program to do this task.

image.thumb.png.4f28a547db9c68d2b65fcc558898813a.png

This image shows what they look like  after ambient occlusion is generated.. this is using the default light count.

image.thumb.png.ac97ecd1d0b2b49a0f3c1467753ea1e9.png

Usually increasing the light count or using anti-aliasing option reduces the artifacts on the AO side but displacement glitches show as spikes like the image below

image.thumb.png.9aa577494f0c18ef1e3bffd139334173.png

Edited by Ascensi
update

• Advanced Member

Hey guys, can someone tell how to set alpha channel in render room, to render object without background? Also, is there option to set custom render image size? I don't see this option in 4.9.06A.

Edited by Mihu83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mihu83 said:

Hey guys, can someone tell how to set alpha channel in render room, to render object without background? Also, is there option to set custom render image size? I don't see this option in 4.9.06A.

image.png

All settings that do not require instant feedback display of changes in the preview window are transferred to a separate window which is called up by the "Settings" button.  

Most of the settings are now initially hidden, they are displayed only when other options are turned on, in the kit with which they may have some value

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lesaint said:

I was hoping the light bakijng tool might have been updated to bake reflections, but no :'(

However, I noticed this small display bug :

unknown.png.19b4eba987a8b6a98dec0b5dc47d3530.png

Reflections cannot be baked correctly, because their position changes depending on the angle at which you look at the model. Perhaps in the next version we will do some imitation of baked reflections.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Hi Andrew, having a lot of crashes baking AO in a 16k project. i have 32 GB ram, over 60 gb of HD, using an i7, RTX 2080Ti with NVidia studio drivers, nothing loaded except 3Dcoat..

PPP mode,  windows 10/64 using OpenGL Coat. One bug was emailed.. I was aiming to see if the 16k UV bug was neutralized but 3Dcoat keeps crashing -used double the default light count.. started with 16x anti-aliasing then 4x.. I was always able to do 4x AA with double light count but not anymore. When 3DCoat recovers it retains a new locked AO layer but setting this to modulate 2x stays at the same default brightness.. is that normal? Setting a high quality baked AO map set to emission helps me see if the generated UVs contain seams like it has shown me in past builds.

Thank you for your work!!

Thanks, I will test it.

• Reputable Contributor
43 minutes ago, carrots said:

Reflections cannot be baked correctly, because their position changes depending on the angle at which you look at the model. Perhaps in the next version we will do some imitation of baked reflections.

Hello Carrots,
Thank you for your reply.

"some imitation" would be good enough. At present I use SP for it (google Substance painter light baking). it is the only thing I use SP for. Then I take the baked light map back into 3dc and paint over it when needed.
Apart from using it for cases when there is no PBR, it is also a good starting point for hand painting, and I think there is a lot of that being done.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, carrots said:

All settings that do not require instant feedback display of changes in the preview window are transferred to a separate window which is called up by the "Settings" button.  

Most of the settings are now initially hidden, they are displayed only when other options are turned on, in the kit with which they may have some value

Thanks for clarification.

Two more things:

- is there any way to set custom size of render image, like in previous builds? It was entire screen or custom size if I remember correctly.

- render passes - is there something like clown pass or maybe I still need to make this in paint room, manually?

Edited by Mihu83
  • Like 1

• Contributor
2 hours ago, carrots said:

Thanks, I will test it.

I've updated my original post with additional images that show spikes along the seams using displacement whereas other areas are painted fine with displacement.. and without painting displacement it's visually obvious with an AO layer especially if you set that AO layer to Emissive with the scene lighting and background dark.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mihu83 said:

Thanks for clarification.

Two more things:

- is there any way to set custom size of render image, like in previous builds? It was entire screen or custom size if I remember correctly.

- render passes - is there something like clown pass or maybe I still need to make this in paint room, manually?

Thank!

- There is no Clown pass yet, but the idea of adding it is a good one.

- Yes, you're right, I will return custom size in the next build.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@Werner_Z Some tools have access to curves, others no. Try changing tools.

Does this mean that the vox hide will no longer work with lasso / curves? Vox hide is one of the most powerful tools for a concept artist, but without a lasso it is useless.

I miss, option to align pivot to the center of the object in transform tool too.

In VoxTree I can't find the option to collapse the tree.

Also it hard to use scale control (green box) from side view now, because it's blocked with blue rotation control.

Скриншот 2019-10-23 14.49.53.jpg

Edited by g0ss

49 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

My pop up tool tips do not appear to work in the .6 beta ,this includes my shaders and objects etc. They are checked in the prefs.

I had this problem, i deleted all the options .xml from the 3dcoat49 folder in documents. Then ran 3d coat and it was fine. However i`ve just reinstalled on another pc the 4.9.06A version and that was fine from installation.

16 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

Thanks, I tried deleting "options xml"  but just that one, which did not work. Should I just delete everthing that has "xml" next to it . I dont much about all this stuff Im wary of breaking something.:wacko:

I just created a backup folder, and copied them all into there and re-ran 3d coat. Try all of them first,if it fixes it you could always copy them back out of the backup folder until the culprit is found. 

Edited by pr1970

• Reputable Contributor
35 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

Thanks, I tried deleting "options xml"  but just that one, which did not work. Should I just delete everthing that has "xml" next to it . I dont much about all this stuff Im wary of breaking something.:wacko:

xml.PNG

Andrew is probably going to release a fix build soon. He said there were like 20 things he was working on fixing. Maybe just wait and use the previous build until then

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the info and help.

I think I found  that the tool tip pop ups dont work when I have a floating menu/tab thingy which in my case is my presets tab, if I close it my tool tips work. Maybe I could just dock it for now.( that thought just occured as I was writing this..doh)

Hopefully the next beta will fix it.

( I really like the gizmo options ...begone those giant opaque squares that always get in the way....^_^)

• Reputable Contributor

I get a lot of empty floating panels when opening old scenes. it's not really a big deal.

But yes having even one floating window disables tooltips, and that is a problem.

As for the customizable Gizmo, what would be really useful for me would be the ability to disable (not hide) the three axis lines.
countless times I try to grab one of the controls and end up moving my object along one axis because I misclicked on those lines instead.
the arrows are better for this for me.
Please, a checkbox to disable them ? :)
(Those lines make it difficult to grab the "screen space movement circle")

image.png.5332d18fab0c7d47f4908bd7e5e02bd2.png

Also, when the gizmo is inside an object, the tools become barely visible, which makes them difficult to use image.png.683e92d6af2059112966acdc0e769ea4.png

Edited by lesaint
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

So Im happy with docking my tab etc etc

So I tried a quick render.. disaster, something bad is lurking here. Think Im gonna go back to .3 version for now.

The nice render compared to the not so nice.

( ps. Dont want to sound like Im moaning about everthing two  minutes after ive installed , Andrew and the gang are doing a fantastic job.)

good.PNG

bad.PNG

Edited by stusutcliffe
added
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

So Im happy with docking my tab etc etc

So I tried a quick render.. disaster, something bad is lurking here. Think Im gonna go back to .3 version for now.

The nice render compared to the not so nice.

( ps. Dont want to sound like Im moaning about everthing two  minutes after ive installed , Andrew and the gang are doing a fantastic job.)

Please explain in more detail how you got such a result, on which version of 3D Coat and under what conditions the upper picture was rendered and on which version the lower one was rendered. Earlier during testing, we had no such problems.
What shaders did you use? What is your graphics card?

• Advanced Member

Hi, 

Most of my shaders  behave strangely in .6 plus the real time renderer is weird and indescribable..the nice render was in the .2 beta.

Graphics card is gtx1050 ti

The bottom image does look like its got a toon shader on it dosnt it, its not supposed to is there a special setting I might have activated by mistake?

Why have you posted those toon shaders ?