3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

On 10/26/2019 at 1:47 AM, lesaint said:

Saving a file after setting the (colour) opacity of the layer that contains vertex colour information for a sculpt object destroys all colour data from the layer.

When you reopen the file, the layer's opacity is back to 100 and all colour is lost.

-------

I wonder, should I continue giving my feedback ? there is no acknoledgement, confirmation, noone says if they can or can't reproduce these things, etc...

Yes, I am reading and fixing [almost] everything from this thread. At least problems that I may reproduce. Thanks for feedback!

• Like 4

• Reputable Contributor
37 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Yes, I am reading and fixing [almost] everything from this thread. At least problems that I may reproduce. Thanks for feedback!

Thank you, Andrew.

Someone mentioned crashes with reference images.
I can confirm it does happen, but not systematically.
Open a file > Drag an image from desktop > use as reference image >>>>> sometimes crash, sometimes not.

In retopo room there is some instability too. Sometimes touching the retopo objects panel (first time you click on a layer to select it), 3dc will crash. Sometimes not.

• Reputable Contributor
7 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

I notice the "down-res" button is no longer on the VoxTree layers. Is that on purpose? I can use the resolution slider but it was a little hard to tell if I was really all the way back to full res without that icon.

What's the resolution slider ?

By the way, I often click on "downgrade" by mistake. Because I often work with high resolution objects, it often means waiting long minutes until the action is performed,
It says "press Esc to cancel", but... that has never, ever worked.
I wish there was a way to "lock" that button, so as to not click it by mistake.

4 hours ago, lesaint said:

What's the resolution slider ?

In the Sculpt room look at Popups > Proxyslider. I forgot the official name before. It let's you slide left and right to choose the density level of the mesh. I've docked it right above the VoxTree.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
4 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I removed because I was sure that no one uses it. Is it useful?

To me yes, but I can do it another way.
(create new layer at lower resolution > right click > merge visible)

I did use the button though. What I didn't like about it was that it kept the original and left you with the two layers selected (original and copy).

As a matter of fact I don't like the new behaviour of the "New layer" button; It used to create a layer in voxel mode; Now it creates a layer in surface mode if you have a layer in surface mode selected, and in voxels if you have a vox layer in voxels mode selected.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

..and maybe reduce the size of those vertical lines 50% or so.

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

...and maybe reduce the size of those vertical lines 50% or so. 

Another good thing would be the user set the decimation number without getting stuck in 2X, 4x ... etc.
Let's say you want to decimate to a number of polygons between 2X and 4X. You can't, you will always stay at the predetermined numbers. Something similar to Decimate from the Geometry menu, where the user can set exactly desired value by draging the slide .

Maybe, this would also help with the size of the slide width, usually I have to make the ProxySlider Palette wide to be able to correctly manipulate and visualize what I need to do.
Just a little suggestion.... ;)
image.png.d327e013e9358b80d417f36ae42d3e4d.png

7 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Moving Proxy Visualization to the bottom of the Sculpt Tree, any chance ?

proxy.jpg

Are you sure it will be better?
All the same, if the ProxySlider and the object tree are on different tabs it allows you to better customize the interface, you can hide the ProxySlider, but leave the object tree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carrots said:

Are you sure it will be better?
All the same, if the ProxySlider and the object tree are on different tabs it allows you to better customize the interface, you can hide the ProxySlider, but leave the object tree.

Sorry but at this time, better customize the interface better is something relative since we cannot use a second display, we cannot even take any menu out of the first display and detach any windows panel from 3DC main window. 

So much customization is non-productive because currently the commands corresponding to each tool are disseminated through different menus without following a workflow, a logical workflow.

To optimize the user must travel as little as possible the visual space and mouse distance to use the tool as fast as possible.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
29 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry but at this time, better customize the interface better is something relative since we cannot use a second display, we cannot even take any menu out of the first display and detach any windows panel from 3DC main window. 

So much customization is non-productive because currently the commands corresponding to each tool are disseminated through different menus without following a workflow, a logical workflow.

To optimize the user must travel as little as possible the visual space and mouse distance to use the tool as fast as possible.

Yeah, I'm in favor of CONSOLIDATION more than Customization. Too many panels as it is, and hard to fit them all on one screen. I have long asked about moving all the TOOL parameters in the Toolbar, to the TOOL OPTIONS panel. That way, all the parameters are in one place...not scattered all across the UI.

post-1118-0-67197500-1375301351.jpg

2.png

post-1118-0-82510700-1375301385.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...same thing regarding the WORKSPACE Tabs. Right now, there is no visible separation between them and they are not logically sorted. It makes training for new users a nightmare, for both the author and the viewer. It's one major reason why the PAINT MESH and the RETOPO MESH need to consolidated into one mesh type...not separate ones. There should only be a LOW POLY MESH and a HIGH POLY MESH/VOXEL OBJECT. 

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_Current.jpg

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_03.jpg

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_04.jpg

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_05.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I disagree about the top bar. Those options get used all the time, regardless of what tab you're in or which tool is being used. So if my Tool Options is currently not visible I still have access to the top bar.

I am sure Andrew would make it an option to leave the toolbar as it is, but I would prefer to have all parameters located in one place. I think he was copying how Photoshop does it, though, when he created the V3 UI

May be... paint Mesh and UV mesh need to consolidate (as you can found on Mari) IF we can detach UV editor to second monitor. So UV editor on Paint room will be the new UV room, but no retopo mesh. -1.

Think about stages and stage modifications. 

In the creation process we go through stages and almost always those stages receive revisions and request for changes and modifications in which we must go back to move forward.