3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

With Sculpt Layers option active:

Create a Sphere in Sculpt workspace - > Surface mode.

Switch to Paint workspace to vertex paint it.

Select any Smart Material and paint over using 3 channels.

Result: Model geometry is destroyed.

• Contributor
10 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

All you have to do is create a preset in the Export dialog > save it (as an iClone preset) > (may have to close and re-open 3DCoat, first) go to FILE > CREATE EXTENSION > scroll toward the bottom to the EXPORT PRESETS > check the one you just created > hit OK. Then, send Andrew that extension and ask him to add it to the default Export Presets (support@3dcoat.com).

Thanks, I know how to create a preset but the problem is knowing what the compatible settings are.  Recently I was looking over a paid tutorial's documentation working with zbrush, it states that the format should be OpenEXR 32 bits with a red monochrome map. It's a grey area for me because I'm working with 16k and sending it to iClone and more specifically 16k  is not utilized by many and therefore bugs on either side may be inhibiting proper function either from export or within  iClone as an import bug, maybe it doesn't import 1.05 GB exr I don't know.. i don't know if the  compatible exr file should create 1.05 GB files when generating 16k maps!

I've just finished testing exr at half resolution.. it loads into iclone but it only works like a normal map increasing bump detail.. I can increase the displacement level but it just seems to adjust the overall size.  However generating EXR from Zbrush seems to work fine @Andrew Shpagin  maybe EXR is not generating properly? the EXR for iClone needs to be a red monochrome map, I've opened them in photoshop and they  look greyscale. 

image.png

Edited by Ascensi
update

• Advanced Member

I encountered some issue in painting room with clipping mask layer option with folders. After saving file and reopening, clipping mask of folders is reset to none, after selecting clip mask layer back, changes are not reflected on layers in it, and its not working unless I delete that folder and create a new one.

17.11.2019 4.9.10 [beta]

- Corrected EXR export using export constructor. Correct support of mono (R) export.

- Correct direction of alpha with stamp mode, stamp works if the pen is on empty space as well.

- Fixed 16k AO and light baking.

- Correct Windows->Store/restore workspace.

- Navigation within the image color picker restored.

- Mark seams with SHIFT corrected.

- Fixed .HDR panoramag import problem, it was importing as greyscale.

- a lot of small bugs fixed.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks for fixing the smart materials/assigned to layers in 4.9.10. One thing i`m noticing though is that the material pop-up when using a pen is very sensitive , could it be adjust to be more forgiving if you move the mouse pointer.
Also, if you can add a search function to smart materials/stencils etc that would be a massive help to increasing workflow.
Thanks

3dcoat_smartmats.thumb.gif.deb56461fe873652f7f7eb2a50e437de.gif

• Advanced Member

I have a problem with some of my custom shaders - in Sculpt room viewport everything looks fine, but in Render room I get filled with black look, something like silhouette.

Any idea where the problem lays or some workaround?

Edited by Mihu83

• Reputable Contributor
52 minutes ago, Mihu83 said:

I have a problem with some of my custom shaders - in Sculpt room viewport everything looks fine, but in Render room I get filled with black look, something like silhouette.

Are they PBR Shaders? If they are old ones (created before PBR shaders) that is probably why.

• Contributor

The texture baking tool is also missing 16k export. It seems like it needs updating for PBR output as well. I've got older projects that were almost completely painted until I discovered  topology glitches , surface not compatible with tessellation/displacement that was created outside 3DCoat and from non ideal mesh import settings.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, Mihu83 said:

Just replace these attachments in your shaders in the folder "MyDocuments\3D-CoatV49\Shaders\PbrShaders\#A Stuart Folder\A Base Shader."

Your shadel comes from very old templates, you need to replace the mcubes.glsl and mcubes.hlsl files with new ones

mcubes.zip

• Like 1

• Contributor
On 11/17/2019 at 1:58 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

17.11.2019 4.9.10 [beta]

- Corrected EXR export using export constructor. Correct support of mono (R) export.

@carrots I wasn't working with the export constructor initially and when I realized that's what the fix was for, I tried it and the EXR export came out to 1.2 mb for 16k texture output -didn't work.  I used a preset and added displacement output 32 bit EXR "zero is grey,normalized" which does work but isn't the correct type (doesn't scale correctly). 32 Bit EXR Grey-based, not normalized seems like the correct one - I tried 16 Bit tif using grey-based,not normalized and it seems correct in scale but is missing the detail to displace all areas, especially the seams (pics sent in pm)  Because the 16 bit grey based was scaling correctly I then tried 32 Bit EXR grey based and it scaled correctly in parts and other areas it was erratic and I noticed the texture was a mix of blue and red! i imported it into photoshop, initially it looked black with some small red parts. I then increased the levels and sure enough there was a blue background. 

I sent some images in a pm to you to show what it looks like.. I don't know if that particular EXR grey based is supposed to have blue in it but anyways I hope you can force a RED monochrome from the Grey Based option or make a new on for it. When I sent you a pm I was having difficulty trying to explain it so i hope you bare with me.;)

• Contributor

It seems baking a multi mesh with AO goes on infinitely (16K) + default AO settings.  -past 100%  and beyond 2000%

Multi mesh subdivide + smoothing also doesn't work in 4.9.11

Thank you for updating/adding 16k to the texture baking Tool!

Edited by Ascensi
update

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Multi mesh subdivide + smoothing also doesn't work in 4.9.11

Multi mesh subdivide + smoothing also doesn't work in 4.9.11 - it skips it and loads fast..    A 3rd party program caused that problem (importing and exporting.. 3DCoat works fine for smoothing.

• Contributor

I'm not heavily stressing  the latest build..but I don't seem to get crashes so far doing what I do 

In that sense it feels stable.

on another topic:

Is there any plan to bring back Antialiasing in new Render engine? 

• Advanced Member
On 8/20/2019 at 6:24 PM, druh0o said:

Probably I've found a bug.

v4.9.05 DX and GL (also v4.8.38). Windows 7. Tested on two computers, so...

1) In Retopo room with the Strokes tool active (let's say after Autopo)

2) zoom in to your retopo mesh (this is important too!  let's say with Shift+A or with Alt + <mouse>  ) so the retopo mesh occupies a significant part of the viewport.

3) activate Transform and move your retopo mesh somehow

4) Ctr+Z - doesn't work (actually i noticed that 3d-coat kinda "counts" vertices of retopo mesh, so i started to hit Ctrl+Z many times - like ALOT, then suddenly it can undo Transform, but after A LOT of Ctrl+z)

If the Strokes tool is not active, looks like there is no undo Transform bug.

If you zoom out of the retopo mesh, so it's occupies a small part of viewport, looks like there is no undo Transform bug, even if the Strokes tool is active (or at least that bug is very rare, i don't know all of reasons of that bug).

UPD: tried in v4.7.24 -  it doesn't have this bug.

4.9.11 has the same bug.

• Contributor
21 minutes ago, druh0o said:

4.9.11 has the same bug.

With Painting, it does this as well. I have to undo about 3 times before the program realizes that's what I want to do, but I've always thought that's how the program works, that it somehow needs to allocate memory or something before it can work.

Edited by Ascensi

• Reputable Contributor
4 minutes ago, Ascensi said:

With Painting, it does this as well. I have to undo about 3 times before the program realizes that's what I want to do, but I've always thought that's how the program works, that it somehow needs to allocate memory or something before it can work.

Some of that may be the fact that it stores things in UNDO history that you might not expect...like hiding a layer or selecting one, etc. I find the most common time UNDO fails is right after AUTO-SAVE. I absolutely hate that and brought it up to Andrew. Maybe he isn't able to immediately re-produce it, but it certainly happens.