3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

Hi, This problem persists still: When using Old School Paint, the color doesn't appear AT ALL, but when going over the same region with a different material the color will then appear around the edges of the stroke. I can't be the only one experiencing this, can I?

I've deleted everything and started over with a new install and no change, btw

image.png.b9c897042fe7cd2ecaa780bbbc4e4cc2.png

Edited by Hdharris

• Advanced Member

Found another critical crash that repros 100% in latest build:

1) Create a new paint uv mapped mesh (per pixel) scene

2) Choose any of the default models (or your own) and set the texture width and height to anything other than a square uv (for example 4096x2048)

3) Attempt to calculate curvature OR occlusion.

The program will crash in the middle of calculation without fail every time from what I have seen so far. I have to have the texture width and height the same exact dimension to avoid the crash.

On a side note, if you have a model with different UV dimensions for width and height in the 2d paint window your brush circle will be very skewed too.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, Rela-x said:

....Also wondering how to fix shading in render room. :blush:

shading.jpg.5b4f3809871e31565395fe992740ac82.jpg

I have the same shading problem in render room. Every time  faceted renders, even though in paint room the object looks smooth. This happens with objects I retopo inside 3DCoat (haven't noticed something with objects I import in paint room for pixel paint and then render). If you'll find a solution please share.. (latest build)

• Like 1

• Contributor
On 12/7/2019 at 10:11 AM, Mystical said:

Found another critical crash that repros 100% in latest build:

1) Create a new paint uv mapped mesh (per pixel) scene

2) Choose any of the default models (or your own) and set the texture width and height to anything other than a square uv (for example 4096x2048)

3) Attempt to calculate curvature OR occlusion.

The program will crash in the middle of calculation without fail every time from what I have seen so far. I have to have the texture width and height the same exact dimension to avoid the crash.

On a side note, if you have a model with different UV dimensions for width and height in the 2d paint window your brush circle will be very skewed too.

It's a mess..it will specifically crash on using anti-aliasing at 4096 or higher as well on 8-16k projects.

• Like 1

8.12.2019 4.9.14 (stable)

- Fixed crash during curvature calculations for non-square texture.

- The selection bar to indicate the current element in different items lists.

- Invert selected in retopo streamlined. Separate buttons to invert all selected and invert selected in the current group. Invert selected in the current group does not touch selected in other groups.

- Primitives history window fixed.

- Bend/Twist/Warp tools introduced in voxels/surface. All of them compatible with sculpting layers, all changes will be gathered into sculpt layers.

- Stability fixed using automated bug reports.

• Like 5

On 12/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, Hdharris said:

Hi, This problem persists still: When using Old School Paint, the color doesn't appear AT ALL, but when going over the same region with a different material the color will then appear around the edges of the stroke. I can't be the only one experiencing this, can I?

I've deleted everything and started over with a new install and no change, btw

image.png.b9c897042fe7cd2ecaa780bbbc4e4cc2.png

What is "Old School Paint"?

• Reputable Contributor
16 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

What is "Old School Paint"?

I believe it is one of the default smart materials in the default folder, (but it might have been removed in recent builds ? then you'd only have it if you kept it from old buids)

image.png.8d9b28bfc3123c79161363d79ac0ed46.png

Edited by lesaint

• Advanced Member

Probably a BUG

1) Bake any mesh from Retopo room to the Paint room (with or without the normal map)

2) Right-click on an empty layer and choose Fill Entire Layer -> crash

Tested in 4.9.14 and 4.9.12BF4 on two computers

4.9.05 - ok

Edited by druh0o

On 12/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, lesaint said:

I believe it is one of the default smart materials in the default folder, (but it might have been removed in recent builds ? then you'd only have it if you kept it from old buids)

image.png.8d9b28bfc3123c79161363d79ac0ed46.png

yes this exactly, it's one of the default materials

• Reputable Contributor
15 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

On my side it works. Please provide steps.

So I kept trying, since you said it works. and it does, sort of.
That is, if I keep pressing the hotkey, it eventually picks the colour. Never on first attempt.
If I pick anywhere else, like in the background, or on on another software, it picks on first try.

Steps to reproduce, simply turn sculpt mesh to surface mode, go to paint room, start painting and try to pick color.

For further clarification:

this is happening with '0_oldschool_paint'

a stroke with a normal pbr material causes no issues, but using this one causes the brush to behave strangely and not express the color channel. (the depth channel behaves oddly, but the spec channel works fine) when going over the same area as when using oldschool, the pbr stroke will appear, and it will be surrounded by the color that didn't appear before, as if the two are blending together, shown inside the red rectangle below.

it has persisted in all editions beyond 4.9.5 as far as I can tell

image.thumb.png.b3a9db135131750e03907302641530dc.png

22 hours ago, lewis2e said:

When I adjust the light intensity with this control, it doesn't seem to affect the mesh.

I can see that it affects the background, but the lighting on the mesh remains the same intensity.

I have isolated the problem.

This is an issue for me with the GL version of 3D Coat only. If I use the DX version, it works as expected.

image.png.e256a87df1917426ff6976b9bdf47e25.png

Confirmed using GL version on Windows too.

//edit

* Solved on 4.9.14

• Like 1

• Contributor

In the smart materials within PPP mode, any added layers above the base layer seem to add to displacement and bump.. I keep having to to paint with the base color and then turn on additional layers in the ao and disable the global depth layer so it doesn't paint depth over the depth added by the base color layer.

Currently using DX version.

@Andrew Shpagin I noticed 4.9.14 grey normalized and zero level is grey, normalized output results have been switched since  4.9.12  I'm going to assume that you've investigated the output profiles and are now producing the correct output?  if not they are now reversed  - grey based, not normalized is now the high contrast and the zero level level is grey is now the softer one... They both work, even the high contrast one is no longer producing artifacts/spikes along the seams although since the switch the softer output is more compatible with iclone.

7 hours ago, Dmitry Bedrik said:

I am happy with the new version. Thanks. Please stop testing raw versions on users. It does not cause anything other than negativity. 

It's up to you to download the beta version or not. You don't have to help if you don't want to.

• Like 6

12.12.2019 4.9.15 (stable)

- Bend/Warp tools are creating new layer with bending result if baking to layers enabled.

- Much faster turning to proxy for huge scenes.

- Fixed several issues related to the smart materials painting - attached materials/painting materials in UV window etc.

- Fixed crash in "Fill entire layer" and other similar. This is important stability fix.

- Fixed crash in occlusion calculation for non-square textures.

• Like 5

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 4.9 Open Beta testing thread
  • Advanced Member

The second time in a row, all objects (layers) in the scene are deleted from me. This happens under unclear circumstances. Once I wanted to delete one layer, it was not deleted, I clicked on the trash icon several times, and as a result all my ~ 60 layers were destroyed. Now I just clicked the button a step back and got the same result above. 

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Dmitry Bedrik said:

The second time in a row, all objects (layers) in the scene are deleted from me. This happens under unclear circumstances. Once I wanted to delete one layer, it was not deleted, I clicked on the trash icon several times, and as a result all my ~ 60 layers were destroyed. Now I just clicked the button a step back and got the same result above. 

did you at least retrieve your file from saved copy, or autosave ?

If not you can still get it from autosave it is probably not too late. if you wait it will be too late.

Edited by lesaint

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Dmitry Bedrik said:

Similar case happens to me.  Occasionally  undoing deletes some of the voxel layers.