3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Am I the only one who misses the "decrease resolution" button ?

I didn't know there was such a button, if there was I would definitely use it.  Right now I have to go through three steps to decrease resolution.  Even if it was hotkeyed it'd still be two steps.

• Reputable Contributor
40 minutes ago, Falconius said:

I didn't know there was such a button, if there was I would definitely use it.  Right now I have to go through three steps to decrease resolution.  Even if it was hotkeyed it'd still be two steps.

Well, there is still this thing that is one button, but I never use it because it changes the scale of your object image.png.4b8b0e965fbb5d4907be5814c5fddba5.png

The button that decreased resolution was at the bottom of the voxtree. It was also not just one step though : It created a copy of the vox layer at a lower resolution.
so you had to delete the original as an extra step, and if you wanted to decrease more than once you had several copies to delete.
Nevertheless, it was quite useful.

Now there are other solutions, but...
one solution is to right click vox layer > resample but if you do that you don't get a resolution that will match other layers precisely (you might end up with something like 0.7 instead of 1 for example)

The method I use at present without the button is to create a new vox layer at the resolution I want, and then I right click it > merge visible

The problem (besides being several steps) is that you cannot go below resolution 1

Edited by lesaint

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Now there are other solutions, but...
one solution is to right click vox layer > resample but if you do that you don't get a resolution that will match other layers precisely (you might end up with something like 0.7 instead of 1 for example)

Yeah that's what I use, I never thought of your second method, but now that I know about it if I'm working on something important I'd probably use that.

• Reputable Contributor
14 minutes ago, Falconius said:

Yeah that's what I use, I never thought of your second method, but now that I know about it if I'm working on something important I'd probably use that.

The problem when you use resample and don't get an even number like 1 is that when you later increase resolution, instead of getting 2, 4, 8, etc, you will get to other numbers like 3, 6, etc...

Issues with shortcuts I have with the latest build:

- Cannot assign a shortcut to vertex normal direction when using the build tool.

- Shortcuts assigned to Reset Axis and Align in the Transform Tool and Pose Tool do not stack and sometimes just flat out disappear. I have to constantly remap those.

• Contributor

Some Possible Bugs:

3D-Coat - PALLETES:
When you drag a layer from Voxtree to the Model Palette so that you can save a model, a very strange thing is happening.

The Model Preview saved in Models Pallet is appearing as an X image instead of the saved geometry (object) preview image.
I think this behavior is happening for all palettes when you save/export (dragging to the palette) a model, curve and etc ...

image.thumb.png.f60f6ae79e07d1522c0c0e21e6e9eda3.png

• Contributor

Snake Tool:
When you use Snake Tool, in surface mode, small or large holes occur on the surface of the mesh and the Boolean process does not happen correctly either and as a result intersections between the geometries happen.
Sometimes boolean operations happen and it works as expected, but sometimes these boolean operations don't work and weird things happen.
Some tests I did happened some bridges or explosions within the geometry.

snake_tool.thumb.jpg.d04c8b83e3aa267696e52adc96109ed9.jpg

• Contributor

Maybe some problem with Warp Tool and Merge Sub-Tree:

When you use Warp Tool in surface mode, the operation is performed normally and multiple copies of the object appear in Voxtree according to the number of copy settings I set in Warp Tool.

After that, I right-clicked the Parent Layer on Voxtree, the Menu appears, and I chose Merge Sub-tree.
The boolean process is forever in Not Responding mode and when it can calculate, the message that failed to perform the boolean procedure appears.

merge_subtree.jpg.8332eb6cd89a123e252a71dbedf46de0.jpg

Then 3D-Coat cancels the procedure and only one copy appears with the warp layer (in sculpt layers).
image.png.66b69a5251de5f57c8ff6112a2811436.png

• Contributor

Curves Tool (surface Mode)
When you use Curves Tool, in surface mode, in the options of this tool would appear an option that the user could transform all points of Curves Tool at the same time to better position, now I am not seeing that option anymore.
I have to move each point separately if I use transform to position the points.

image.thumb.png.7b5f32afed102f4553ff15ab29e61a79.png

• Contributor

Curves Tool (surface Mode)
- After I apply the Curves Tool to generate the new geometry, sometimes it happens that geometry appears with holes.
image.thumb.png.66b470d119023edf66848fd8cc696e32.png

• Contributor

Copy Tool - Surface Mode:

When you use Copy Tool in surface mode, this great tool that has existed in 3d-coat for many years no longer works.

Before Copy Tool worked with many errors and bugs.

Now, the Copy Tool does not work by copying with mouse circle cursor or by copying through Freeze Tool. And of course, Save and Load should not work.

The copy tool not only copies details from one mesh surface area to other areas, but also works "similar to a Vector Displacement" that lets you select (freeze tool) a particular area (a character's ear) and then you can paste this geometry into any place on the surface of the mesh.

:(:(:(Too sad to have such a unique tool like Copy Tool that inspired ZBrush 2020 to make one "almost like 3D-Coat", and in 3D-Coat... Copy Tool no longer works.

copy_tool.thumb.jpg.c779a34568210485a0d09405c58823ca.jpg

• Contributor

Problems with setting Shortcuts:

- I'm not able to shortcut a brush with the sequence:
CTRL + SHIFT + 0 (zero)

I already tried restarting the program (using DX OR GL), the computer and it really doesn't work.

image.png.40a9c84bc7c8bf4d474bb42e5336496a.png

I always have to cancel the command to set my shortcut when I try CTRL + SHIFT + 0

• Contributor

Fill Tool:
In Paint Room, using the Fill Tool, with a Sculpt Room Surface mode geometry, when you select Depth only, the texture preview does not appear.

However, when you select Color Opacity, the texture appears in the Preview.

Would that be a bug or would the Fill Tool work with texture preview only when choosing Color Opacity?

fill_tool_paint_room.thumb.jpg.343f97845f9c88c01e3c3745d0adf30b.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, Rygaard said:

Fill Tool:
In Paint Room, using the Fill Tool, with a Sculpt Room Surface mode geometry, when you select Depth only, the texture preview does not appear.

However, when you select Color Opacity, the texture appears in the Preview.

Would that be a bug or would the Fill Tool work with texture preview only when choosing Color Opacity?

fill_tool_paint_room.thumb.jpg.343f97845f9c88c01e3c3745d0adf30b.jpg

That's probably an element of Sculpt Layers that hasn't yet been implemented. 

• Contributor
10 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

That's probably an element of Sculpt Layers that hasn't yet been implemented. 

I also thought it would be something that developers would still be adjusting for the future, good to know it's not a bug.
It's just that I wasn't so sure if there was a preview with Depth enabled earlier.
Thanks for telling me!

• Contributor

--> Fill Holes Tool (Surface Mode): Not working....

I did the same test with 3D-Coat DX and GL version:

- I made holes using Poly Remove Tool, and then I chose the Fill Holes Tool (using default settings: select = automatic).
I clicked the edge of the hole, because in previous versions there was a green selection around the edge of the hole automatically, and now nothing appears.
I've clicked around all the way, but the Fill Holes Tool doesn't select and it doesn't work.

image.png.ed7971147d7f02b6d54b13bbc6d5a56c.png

• Contributor
39 minutes ago, sprayer said:

It may be not a holes, i was notice sometimes it drawing holes but they may disappear if you restart program or change something 

Sure enough, I purposely made holes in the surface because I used the Poly Remove Tool.
Just after I created holes... I tried using the Fill Holes Tool, but it didn't work.

I agree with you that a strange display may happen on the screen.

It was even good of you to comment on these supposed screen errors because it gives me a chance to comment on one more screen display error in relation to using the Freeze Tool / Pose Tool that use "selections" of areas.

This kind of behavior ("fake displays") happens to me every once in a while when I use Freeze Tool / Pose Tool.
So when you think that there is a Freeze (mask) painted region, it's just an on-screen display error that remains of the freeze tool or another tool that uses this type of selection on the mesh surface.
Strangely enough, when you use the Unfreeze All function, this tool display error does not go away.

Sometimes, to fix this, you need to repaint with the Freeze Tool over the "false selection" so that the previous selection disappears and only then use the Unfreeze All function.

I use the Enter key to resample my mesh in Surface mode. When "Remove Stretching" is enabled on the Surface brushes, I noticed that I would get mesh corruption when undo is used. I haven't seen this problem when the Resample command is used, but I find it easier to just hit the Enter key if I want to remesh my object. Not sure what the difference is between the 2 functions or why we have 2 commands that do basically the same thing.

Remove Stretching-Undo-Resample Bug.jpg

• Advanced Member

Guys, just a quick question about UI - is there a way to change spacing in top toolbar elements? I've set a shortcut to toggle Invert tool and the shortcut is visible and overlaping Innvert tool.

Also a little sugestion... give us a option to move left tool panel to the right side.

• Contributor

--> Curve Tool:

Two things are happening:

1. When you press SHIFT key to Move, Rotate or Climb child Curves nothing happens. It is as if there is no such function. Just like with the CTRL key to snap.

2. There was an option that you enabled and could move, rotate and scale the entire curve as a whole using the Transform Tool.
This option no longer exists.
If I'm not mistaken, this option was positioned below, one of the last in the Curve Tool options.

image.thumb.png.6cd7638f78a3bbd82f5635c84bd0f089.png

• Contributor
5 minutes ago, Rygaard said:

1. When you press SHIFT key to Move, Rotate or Climb child Curves nothing happens. It is as if there is no such function. Just like with the CTRL key to snap.

Sorry ... let me fix what I said above ...
Now, the shortcut key is no longer SHIFT as described tip using the Curve Tool.

Now if the user wants to ROTATE child curves ... have to press the CTRL key.

Move and Scale does nothing in relation to child curves...
The SHIFT hotkey does nothing.

Edited by Rygaard

• Contributor

Pose Tool:

image.png.88642b31bcab8358a26eee91f6ced835.png

One strange thing that happened to me is that in Pose Tool, after I chose transpose "PAINT" mode from the tool's function submenu, and then I wanted to switch to transpose Line mode, the Transpose Mode submenu disappeared.
image.png.bf025fdee89c167bc1e2a69bf278ecc5.png
I tried changing tools or brush, went back to Pose Tool and the transpose mode was still gone.
I tried to resize the Pose Tool palette to see if the problem was a palette bug, but nothing happened and Transpose Mode was still missing.

When I restarted 3d-coat, transpose mode came back. I do not know what that was.
I tested more often to see if the Pose Tool's Transpose Mode function would disappear again and it happened ....

If you choose Transpose Mode: PAINT, AUTOMATICALLY the transpose Mode submenu will disappear and will no longer allow you to choose any Transpose Mode function.
I tried switching to another tool or brush, but when you return to Pose Tool the transpose mode is still gone and locked in the PAINT option.

The solution for anyone who wants to choose another Pose Tool Transpose Mode option is to RESTART 3D-Coat.

• Advanced Member

I just tested Res+ in 4.9.19, and I don't see any speed improvements. It takes incredibly long to upres if you are in the 5mil range going up.
I am talking about many minutes, which makes this way to slow for film work.