3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Could developers put a warning window for users not to close the program while the program is in the save period (even after the program has saved)?

So .. after all, each time autosave appears, a red text appears in the center of the screen that autosave will be soon.

I actually requested that warning because the auto-save freezes the program for a couple seconds. The red text was added and I was happy to have it but still I wish it was something more obvious since I still don't notice this text most of the time.

13 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

The entire period between releases are generally BETA. Prior to a release, Andrew spends weeks doing nothing else but bugfixing. That is when you can expect the most stable versions.

I do not use  BETA's at all. I am talking about " STABLE RELEASES " Just as my post requested. I know you are a long time user, but do you really think People would blame every update from Windows or other Drivers because 3DCoat is unstable?

I am sure aware of minor Problems that can occur when Microsoft releases a change in some line that messes with interactions etc.. Yet that is not my point. I am talking only about " STABLES RELEASES " that are made for the  RL People who bought 3DCOAT that do not want to be apart of a BETA. Those are not STABLE releases not one that has been released since the past 3 Years was really Stable. This is not my first Message with this request to build a Proper Release you should know that because you already almost typed the same thing last time. Don't go AUTOPILOT on me/us..

All I want is a Stable Release that doesn't have flaw Code. Betas Should not be given to the Public to test they should be closed Betas where only a hand full of people should be testing them and not just sending it one to be a Stable Download right after.

Good for you that you have so much knowledge about updating you still lack the understanding that People who don't want to use a unstable Program as a STABLE release.

Also why even post Beta tools on the YouTube channel. That is false Promotion because they do not work and most people who look that those videos believe that that's how it works. After that they fall into the " Great Deal Trap "  Its called False Advertisement doing so.

3DCoat added Renderman for no reason for maybe 5% would even really use that Program. There are Far better Renderes out there.  Cut the biased attitude. being blind that 3DCoat has a lot of bugs that have not been fixed yet so many new tools have been release is just pure arrogant to the hole situation. Before adding new tools Fix the bugs.

3DCoat should be a top Program, yet still lacks things that you cant just ignore.  " this whole : we have a mask tool too " is complete BS " So many things are just missing why add more if you can't even fix the bugs that are at hand. It would be like " Skipping a RED Light " and deep inside you would be like " I should pay the fine, but f*ck it I'll pass time to skip the next. If you ignore all the Bugs that are inside of 3DCoat it just means that " The DEVS " have gotten lazy and started skipping way to many... These Pile up. btw Nobody asked for a new UI and yet it was still made. ( Looks Honorable, and we can't change it to a Legacy option ) This is just pure Autopilot.

This is why 3DCoat will always be last in the choice of usage. Substance, Zbrush, Heck even Blender is getting really really good.

Do you understand?

Perfect!:dash2:

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
5 hours ago, lesaint said:

So I try not to take saving for granted. I tend so save incrementally, so as to not lose everything.

However, you don't really know until you have tried reopening the files, and I remember at least once when quite a few of my incremental saves were corrupt, and so were the autosaves.

Of course, the user always has to save the project in different versions...

It is rare that I have closed the program after I clicked the Save button.

I am completely in favor of Developers putting a Warning Window not allowing users to close the program until the Save process has already been successfully done Or something like that ...
That way you could avoid problems when the user saves, reopens the project, and finds something went wrong, losing work.

Sometimes users think that just pressing Save... will save you from anything bad that might happen. I thought so ... but now, I will be much more aware when saving anything in 3D-Coat, especially in professional and personal projects.

• Reputable Contributor
26 minutes ago, Rygaard said:

It is rare that I have closed the program after I clicked the Save button.

I just remembered something that is in contradiction to this problem every occuring anymore.
You said that you had saved your file with ghosted volumes.
However, since quite a few releases now, whenever I save or there is autosave, all my ghosted volumes become visible !
(maybe this happens only when I am in the sculpt room though)

so, either you don't have this "bug" (is it a bug?)
or you saved while you were in the paint room maybe ?

• Contributor
1 hour ago, lesaint said:

I just remembered something that is in contradiction to this problem every occuring anymore.
You said that you had saved your file with ghosted volumes.
However, since quite a few releases now, whenever I save or there is autosave, all my ghosted volumes become visible !
(maybe this happens only when I am in the sculpt room though)

so, either you don't have this "bug" (is it a bug?)
or you saved while you were in the paint room maybe ?

I had saved it by making the geometries invisible through the Visibility button (an eye icon like photoshop).
I didn't use the Ghost Mode button (ball icon).

Another important thing I would like to warn everyone about:
Take great care when saving your projects by leaving their geometries in Proxy Mode (to make the file lighter).

If you save your projects, with VoxTree Layers in the PROXY MODE state, you will be at great risk of having a serious problem with the geometry in Proxy.
When I saved a project that had several Layers in VoxTree converted to Proxy Mode, I closed the program, and after I opened the project again in 3D-Coat, I had lost all the layers that were in Proxy Mode.

Currently, I prefer to save to 3D-Coat as follows:
1) All Voxtree Layers are visible (Surface Mode or Voxels Mode).
2) No Layer in Proxy Mode.

I know it will generate a heavy file, but I know that I will have less chance of having serious problems with the file being corrupted or the geometry of the layer erased or with serious problems.

-----------

I haven't tested the Ghost button yet ... but I will test! If I present what you said I will report.

All my projects are saved while I'm in Sculpt Room. But I will pay more attention to that.

6 hours ago, sprayer said:

But it also was change ui, no?

But you are right, too much bugs, hard to learn features if they works not right, and hard to understand management with bugs, no roadmap etc

I do not use Blender as much as I would like to, but they have changed a lot and it has become a very important Software that can handle almost anything the Industry uses. One big Bonus about Blender it is Open Source  and FREE.. Also Epic Games gave them a huge Chunk of Money that opens a hole lot of new Opportunity's. Not to mention All the Plugins that help Big time for a faster Workflow. :)

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, Speike-Styles said:

I do not use Blender as much as I would like to, but they have changed a lot and it has become a very important Software that can handle almost anything the Industry uses. One big Bonus about Blender it is Open Source  and FREE.. Also Epic Games gave them a huge Chunk of Money that opens a hole lot of new Opportunity's. Not to mention All the Plugins that help Big time for a faster Workflow. :)

I mean they change too much recently what pro software never will do this. For example 3ds max have options to keep old design for dialogs of edit poly tools. And as blender have bonus of free, it is also big minus, because of that blender will never have vray or corona (devs told this about some problems and connections). Though it is nice to see how China gives money to Epics, and Epics gives money for Blender and megascans with twinmotion. =) I hope they will give money to 3d coat too :rofl:

• Advanced Member

Vox hide tool doesnt have the border options anymore. 

.05: Border Options 

.17 and .19: Nope. Nada. 

was just feeling inspired to work with 3dCoat this morning. Instead had to uninstall, reinstall other versions, delete folders etc to make sure :(

I agree about4.9.05 being the most stable version around (for me) I also want to level up in 3dCoat and maximize the apps potential, I'm not giving up anytime soon, but would also like to experience the stability others crave in newest releases. It will happen I'm sure.

19.1.20 4.9.20

- BaseBrush as new universal mechanism to create custom brushes.

Completely new Alphas creation mechanism.

- Possibility to bypass dialogs in Autopo menu

- Removed old-style gizmos from Curve/Text tools.

- Fixed disappearing mode selector in Pose tool.

- Fixed voxelization with auto-closing holes problem (mesh destruction in some cases)

- Fixed problem with double undo after "Remove stretching"

- Clone and Degrade under VoxTree restored.

- Fixed overlapping VoxTree UI elements in some cases.

- Better support of multiselection in AUTOPO.

- Fixed problem of unresponsive retopo layers

- RFill and seams problem fixed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Contributor
7 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- BaseBrush as new universal mechanism to create custom brushes.

Completely new Alphas creation mechanism.

@Andrew Shpagin , Is this new brush system compatible with presets?
I would like to know this so as not to lose my presets ...
Can I install this version of the Brush New system on top of the latest version without having problems with my Brushes?

Thank you very much

2 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

I cant found any trouble but better to backup creating extensions.

extension.jpg

sidenote:

BaseBrush is amazing ! Thx for hard work !

Any info you can share about BaseBrush? I can't test it as the Mac version isn't up to date yet :) 

Is it a universal brush system that works between both Voxel and Surface mode etc?

• Advanced Member

Whoa, this universal brush engine looks pretty cool!

Only just starting testing it, but I can see a lot of potential for some very powerful new brushes.  The alpha generator is pretty awesome too.  I don't know if I've ever seen anything like this before.

Will it be possible to add in new effect types?  Is that something you could expose through scripting?  That way people could add gravity effects, fracture effects and the like...Also, for the rotate effect, it would be nice to define the axis(x,y,z,custom) and position (xyz position relative to the centre of the brush) of the rotation effect

• Like 2

• Contributor

Base Brush - Alpha:

It seems that when you load a texture a bug happens.
This texture was a TIF, but I haven't tested it with other image formats yet.

image.thumb.png.a98c74af722491ed85493940b4e4b878.png

Below the real texture:
image.png.03d83e6b12f2eaeb297b6eeee948bed1.png

• Advanced Member
22 minutes ago, Rygaard said:

Base Brush - Alpha:

It seems that when you load a texture a bug happens.
This texture was a TIF, but I haven't tested it with other image formats yet.

image.thumb.png.a98c74af722491ed85493940b4e4b878.png

Below the real texture:
image.png.03d83e6b12f2eaeb297b6eeee948bed1.png

I haven't tried with an alpha yet, but did you try with turning on the different falloffs?  I'll check too to see if I get similar results.

• Contributor
40 minutes ago, gbball said:

I haven't tried with an alpha yet, but did you try with turning on the different falloffs?  I'll check too to see if I get similar results.

Now, I tried with FallOff enabled.
The same bug continued, but with falloff applied to the bug.

image.thumb.png.b8c74d3308eabcbbaf257be5592128ad.png

• Contributor

Clone Tool - Bug

I tried using the Clone Tool to copy the texture already applied to the mesh surface and then I just clicked a single button in the empty area beside it.
After I clicked on the empty area, 3D-Coat went to "Not Responding", and after a long time (many minutes), the result was a noise that looked like I dragged the mouse across the mesh surface.

image.thumb.png.6945521ca030483297de669c9fe5bde9.png

9 hours ago, Rygaard said:

@Andrew Shpagin , Is this new brush system compatible with presets?
I would like to know this so as not to lose my presets ...
Can I install this version of the Brush New system on top of the latest version without having problems with my Brushes?

Thank you very much

BaseBrush is independent on current system, should not break it.

Regarding presets - curves/text/snake/spike/muscle related presets may be broken (tools moved to other principles of registration). If that sort of presets are important for anyone, please tell me.

• Advanced Member

@Rygaard The brush alphas worked for me, but I used png, not tiff.

Also, I encountered a bug where the brush effects I tried to add to the CTRL modifier were all applied to the regular brush function.

Edited by gbball

6 hours ago, gbball said:

Whoa, this universal brush engine looks pretty cool!

Only just starting testing it, but I can see a lot of potential for some very powerful new brushes.  The alpha generator is pretty awesome too.  I don't know if I've ever seen anything like this before.

Will it be possible to add in new effect types?  Is that something you could expose through scripting?  That way people could add gravity effects, fracture effects and the like...Also, for the rotate effect, it would be nice to define the axis(x,y,z,custom) and position (xyz position relative to the centre of the brush) of the rotation effect

I may add any effects. Also, a bit later you will be able to add own effects using formulas (c++, used with OpenCL). 

• Like 2

• Contributor
22 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

BaseBrush is independent on current system, should not break it.

Regarding presets - curves/text/snake/spike/muscle related presets may be broken (tools moved to other principles of registration). If that sort of presets are important for anyone, please tell me.

I think that all presets are valuable. Please, If you can prevent the Presets from breaking, it will be very important...

I sent you email about Plane Offset:
I would like to know about the function of BaseBrush's Plane Offset. I did not understand how it works.
I thought it would work like the video I showed you.

• Contributor
29 minutes ago, gbball said:

Also, I encountered a bug where the brush effects I tried to add to the CTRL modifier were all applied to the regular brush function.

I tested it.
When you select the CTRL Modifier, and add "effects or brushes" automatically what was added will appear in Regular and in CTRL Modifier nothing will appear.
I don't know if the behavior would have independent effects for Regular and Ctrl, or if you have to press the Copy button from Regular in order for the CTRL Modifier to work.

BUG:

A strange thing that happened to me was the following:
I just added the Brush "Average...", then I went to Ctrl Modifier and I pressed the button to Copy from Regular. The result was that... there were a lot of brushes in the listing and duplicates (for both Regular and Ctrl Modifier).

*** Bug:
The alpha of the TIF format I was using for testing was DELETED from the folder, leaving only the .mclp and .xml formats.

image.png.c59918865a84565481a6a0ac526b4c8e.png