3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, allanmrtn said:

Thank you! What is the difference between the SL and the normal version?

SL includes Sculpt Layers, which is an experimental feature (at least for 4.9.05)

Hi devs

I am currently using 4.9.19 ver and off the bat i've noticed one serious problem with importing huge reference meshes using Voxel Sculpting option ( welcome screen ). Prior to this version It was possible to import really high ref meshes usually aroun 15 to 20 Mil poly's, but now this option is not possible anymore and If I try to import really low reference mesh, lets say 1 Mil 3DCoat will crash every time, no exceptions. :( I kinda hoped that with new updates 3DCoat would be able to handle even bigger reference object then 20 Mil, not loose this option in the process. Can anyone confirm this, any similar issues with heavy object handling ? 

thank you

11 hours ago, Rygaard said:

Base Brush - Alpha:

It seems that when you load a texture a bug happens.
This texture was a TIF, but I haven't tested it with other image formats yet.

image.thumb.png.a98c74af722491ed85493940b4e4b878.png

Below the real texture:
image.png.03d83e6b12f2eaeb297b6eeee948bed1.png

I tried using that same alpha and it seemed to work OK here. Also though I don't see the texture on the model when I use the brush.

base_brush.png

• Advanced Member

In version 4.9.17 (marked as "stable") I can’t find the cube for zooming on the z axis, everything was fine in 4.9.05. What am I doing wrong? 

It. Highly. It’s strange. I restarted the program and a square appeared. This seems to be some kind of error when the scaling square appears at a certain viewing angle (it seems that the viewing angle is too large).

Edited by Dmitry Bedrik

• Advanced Member

2 other longstanding bugs that I should mention.

1 - in the retopo room, when using the point, faces tool.  If you assign delete polygons, delete edges, or collapse to the CTRL or CTRL+SHIFT action, it will perform the action of that tool, but it does so as though you're pressing CTRL.  This isn't usually the desired outcome.  For example, if i want to delete one or two polygons, I will have to swith tools instead of using the modifier because the modifier will delete everything.

2 - If I do a smooth all immediately after extruding, the extrusion will be lost and the smooth all will happen on the un-extruded version of the mesh.

In ver 4.9.19 which I am currently testing out Ive noticed a really strange problem with layers within retopo room, both sculpttree and retopo objects layers are buged, and what I mean by that is if you try to hide / show particular layer in both of these panels they will hide every other layer ( NOT connected to them by any hierarchy, meaning this selected object that I am trying to hide is not parent to others, its single mesh totally unrelated ) . If you switch then all your layers in the panel on OR off several times 3dcoat will not hide selected layer sometimes, sometimes it will rename ALL existing layer with the same name as the layer you selected last...just, i cannot even explain the scope of these glitches, they are all random and they all have to do with hiding, naming and positioning of the existing layers, in other words....it's bad :(

Edited by tritochke
Possible solution for this issue : Do NOT dock your sculpt tree or retopo objects panels, leave them floating and reopen them every time you reopen your scene, I find that this completely removes the issue mentioned above. Just a temp workaround

BaseBrush: I'm having some issues with the Curve controls that affect depth.

1.  The command to "Copy settings from the Regular" doesn't transfer a custom depth curve.

2.  I can't get my custom depth curves to stick on any of my BaseBrush presets. I reinstalled 4.9.20 and it still is a problem. "Update Preset" also doesn't work .

• Advanced Member

this is my friend's report.

He has 3D mouse. but his 3D-coat FPS  lag When he disconnect 3D mouse from PC.

do you know how to fix this problem?

• Advanced Member

I use .05 and .17 versions of the program. The first was marked as stable at one time, as well as .17 now. Both have one huge problem.

Each time (absolutely, there have never been exceptions) when my computer is in standby mode after inactivity ("turns off" and then turns on with a password), the computer starts to work very strange and wild. Everything starts to slow down, including 3D coat.

Moreover, it works stably for the first five minutes, and then hangs and other problems begin. The same thing starts with Google Chrome and other programs. Even the task manager starts extremely (10 minutes) for a long time.

I believe that on a computer with a processor and i7 6800k, gtx 1080 ti, and 32 GB of RAM, licensed Windows 10 , this is very, very strange.

Despite the fact that in all other applications, whether it’s a blender or games on ultra-settings, I have never seen such problems.

In the end, the only way out of this situation is to restart the computer using the button, since even turning off using the start turns into a set of glitches.

I repeat, with no other application, after the standby mode, I have never experienced such problems.

• Contributor
2 hours ago, lesaint said:

I can't use models from the models panel either, in the sculpt room. clicking has no effect

Yes... me too. Not working models from the Models Pallete...

• Reputable Contributor

every time I switch to the smooth tool whether it is in Voxel mode or surface, 3d-Coat hangs for maybe 1 to 3 seconds. I think it started in 4.9.19 but maybe less noticeable.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the smart materials editor, I think someone said they were not able to reproduce my initial issue a while back : can't click on the balls at the left to access the texture editor.
I finally figured out that you have to right click on the textures to access it, but... that is not intuitive at all...

Also, finally found the controls to move a layer up/down (and even duplicate, didn't remember that one!). Again, a right click on the layer, not intuitive at all :(
Buttons fow new people, please :)

Also, when I plug in a new texture, it does not refresh in the editor.
I have to save, right click the smart material and refresh preview for the textures to register inside the editor.

Edited by lesaint
forgot something

• Reputable Contributor

Edit>reset settings helped some, but not all

Selecting smooth tool still causes a pause

ball icon in smart material editor now works.
textures refresh if I click on a texture and use the browser to select a new one.

However, if I drag and drop a texture from my desktop to the slot directly, it still does not refresh in the smart material editor.

If I drag and drop a texture from my desktop to the slot directly, it refresh in the smart material editor... if another layer was created before

If not, you need to switch on/off eye icon (hide-unhide layer) to refresh mat preview.

on-off.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

new curve tool snap to X axis  When I move the camera to other side. 

and, I want to know how to make the curve flat with new gizmo. :)

curvesym.gif

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Mihu83 said:

Maybe you have symmetry snap enabled in tool settings?

response thank you.

I don't use Symmetry snap.

curvesym2.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Contributor

Edit Brush Shapes:

1. When the user uses positive values in the Texture Scale option, the texture is repeated. The problem is that the greater the number of repetitions, the greater the formation of peaks (mountains).
image.thumb.png.6efe5e74e27531ee4b7b5e6d227f2064.png

2. - Sometimes, when creating a new Alpha with textures in the Edit Brush Shape, as soon as the user chooses the new Alpha in the Alphas Palette to use, the texture does not appear (empty alpha).
The user has to keep opening the same texture several times until the newly created alpha is saved correctly. And even saving, the same problem can happen that the texture doesn't load and needs to open the texture again and save.

image.thumb.png.6bec6e6b8496910a48eb6923fcbd714c.png

• Advanced Member

the new version is getting better even if a new issue happen.

it would be difficult to fix all software bug .

I appreciate for your work, Mr Andrew and great developers.

I will continue to use 3D-coat. :D

• Haha 1

19.1.20 4.9.21 (beta)

- BrushEngine multiple fixed and corrections.

- Curves tool multiple fixes: scale/rotate with new gizmo, correct symmetry support.

- Drag&Drop image to smart material refreshes material preview.

- Up/Down arrows in material editor.

- Tiff correct support (4.1.0), including Zip compression.

- Fixed different problems of models/splines/retopo models palette.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2