3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin I installed 3D-Coat 4.9.21 and I can't open the program to work (both DX or GL) ...
I downloaded 3D-Coat on both of the two available links ... and none of the links worked during installation!
I don't understand much, but maybe, some problem with compiling the program?

Is anyone else not able to open the new version of 3D-Coat?

Edited by Rygaard

• Contributor

@sprayer,

I thought I was alone in this problem ...

I tried to see if windows 10 was blocking 3D-Coat 4.9.21 from opening, but I didn't see anything unusual. Everything is normal.

I just downloaded 3D-Coat 4.9.21 again and installed it again, but unfortunately the program does not open ( DX or GL version).

I am waiting for a solution.

I want to be clear on this: all the versions that you can find in this thread are BETA.
When they refer to stable, they found no notable crashes before the release.

There are more stable beta versions and less stable beta versions. But ALL are BETA.
They should NOT be used in production.

They only serve to see and test future new tools, which are currently in development stage and can be changed or modified.

• Like 2

And further note for you Dmitry, it is clearly marked as beta. So saying the team is lying is a lie itself. Find yourself in the corner. Don't post like this anymore. Final warning I'll ever give you.

Regarding stability and lying. I am trying to get to a stable state day and night, but after so big changes it is not easy. Some builds were marked as stable because there were no obvious problems during testing for several days but in longer-range there were problems...

But without all that changes long-term development is impossible. I understand the frustration when some work lost, but I am trying even more than I usually may...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You're doing a great job Andrew. Don't let one troll get to you. He's got nothing better to do with his time. Positive vibes and keep on doing what you do best, making rad tools. :brush::wizard:

• Like 3

Agree with Jarvis. Andrews doing an incredible job improving this software and allowing us to beta test new features as they go along. I personally love seeing new versions every week to try out. I wish more companies did this.

I don't quite understand why people are trying to use the beta version for any major work. If I have to use 3d coat for work I go back to the release version from months back. I just experiment with the beta versions.

Keep up the good work Andrew and team.

• Reputable Contributor
15 minutes ago, pr1970 said:

I don't quite understand why people are trying to use the beta version for any major work. If I have to use 3d coat for work I go back to the release version from months back. I just experiment with the beta versions.

IMHO the only true test for a build is to use it all the time, not just playing with it for five minutes doing random stuff.

You just have to be careful, Never overwrite an old file. Save incrementally, test the saves, and if it is really important, even export parts, or save them to models/retopo objects panels, and test open the incremental saves.
also test open the auto saves if you want to be extra careful.
And always wait a few seconds after saving before closing.

And also when a new build fixes an annoying/crippling bug, you just don't want to go back to an older version that still has it :)
And to be fair to the bad tempered people, I can't find any older build that doesn't have one big problem or another. So, it's really a matter of compromise.

Edited by lesaint

I didn't say anything about 5 minutes of playing. I've spent hours on the beta versions only for it to crash. But I have lots of beta versions of applications but I don't throw my toys out of the pram if they crash on me which they often do.

Beta means just that, expect it to be very unstable and use full releases for production work.

Edited by pr1970

• Reputable Contributor

4.9.21 Thank you so much for the Smart material editor fixes and additions !!!

A problem remains with drag and drop : the preview on model doesn't appear until you save the smart material.
It is true for cube mapping too, but here I show it with "from camera" to make it more obvious.

Also maybe tooltip could indicate that you can actually drag and drop textures, instead of browse. Drag and drop is so useful for many things in 3d-Coat, but I wonder if it is documented anywhere, and are people aware of it ?

image.thumb.png.f52d9cb984fd1abd75f578cef4fc8af3.png

image.png

Edited by lesaint

• Contributor
10 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Regarding stability and lying. I am trying to get to a stable state day and night, but after so big changes it is not easy. Some builds were marked as stable because there were no obvious problems during testing for several days but in longer-range there were problems...

But without all that changes long-term development is impossible. I understand the frustration when some work lost, but I am trying even more than I usually may...

A direct message to you @Andrew Shpagin , please, I ask you... NOT to be "shaken" by random comments (especially when are not constructives).
Your work is unquestionable and certainly an award winner!

I can't get enough of saying, whenever I can...
how much I admire and congratulate you for the daily MAGIC you do together with your team to be able to provide all of us with a unique and fantastic program that is 3D-Coat!
Bugs happen in any program!
Please keep doing your MAGIC!

Congratulations!

Tip of the day:
--> Please, when working on any project, save interactions (File / Save as ...).
Anyone would be at great risk in ANY PROGRAM (whether BETA or NOT) if you work on the same file all the time.

• Contributor

I don't know if that would be normal behavior. But I think there is a problem.

When you use geometry from the Retopo Room to the Sculpt Room, the mesh structure of the polygons generated by the Retopo Room is having problems with the appearance of noise in each brush stroke of the Clay Brush.

After that I tested converting the type of structure of the polygon mesh of Retopo Room by pressing the Enter key, defined the same approximate amount of polygons and the behavior of the Brush brush stroke returned to what I expected it to be, that means that each brush stroke was smooth without any noise.

In short: Problem with sculpting the structure of the mesh of polygons generated in the Retopo Room that cause strange noise brushstrokes.

image.thumb.png.7d5de007e55b4696ea6cb2c46342a4fc.png

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Javis said:

it is clearly marked as beta.

Excuse me, but

Screenshot_2.thumb.jpg.e663d5e4e2ab210732c9f0115a33fc6d.jpg

and

Screenshot_3.thumb.jpg.f3bbb51c56002ea4b8238cd42dd43252.jpg

Oh, and 4.9.05 is now marked as beta in this thread?! Really confusing.

Edited by druh0o
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, druh0o said:

But i'm kinda lost. What was the latest stable release?

This is a problem. Initially, we were sure that 4.9.17 is more stable than 4.9.05. But after several weeks of testing seems that 4.9.05 is more stable. 4.9.17 is generally very different from 4.9.05, a lot, lot of announced functionality included (several months of the job), but it seems it is less stable than 4.9.05. We can't set it back to 4.9.05 (that is a bit more stable) because of scenes compatibility.

The only solution that I actually see is to get really stable build as soon as possible.

But 4.9.05 is not so much better than 4.9.17. They have some common problems. Some of 4.9.05 problems fixed in 4.9.17. Some new problems appeared in 4.9.17. For example, lack of some UI elements in material editor.

For example caching problem present in both of them, it generally exists since the origin of caching. Only now I understood when it happens. And fixed it in 4.9.22.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, druh0o said:

1 hour ago, druh0o said:

Excuse me, but

and

Oh, and 4.9.05 is now marked as beta in this thread?! Really confusing.

I stand half corrected. Thanks. :) I never visit that site, only the forum where it is labeled correctly. Thanks for passing that along.

On 1/20/2020 at 8:11 PM, SilverCity said:

BaseBrush: I'm having some issues with the Curve controls that affect depth.

1.  The command to "Copy settings from the Regular" doesn't transfer a custom depth curve.

2.  I can't get my custom depth curves to stick on any of my BaseBrush presets. I reinstalled 4.9.20 and it still is a problem. "Update Preset" also doesn't work .

Both of these bugs are still present in this latest build.

Also two other issues:

1. Moving these 2 points in the Edit Brush Shape window is hard because of the small area the cursor must be positioned.

2. Renaming a preset causes the Curve parameters to change.

BB-EditBrushShape.jpg

BB-Rename.jpg

On 1/25/2020 at 7:45 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

This is a problem. Initially, we were sure that 4.9.17 is more stable than 4.9.05. But after several weeks of testing seems that 4.9.05 is more stable. 4.9.17 is generally very different from 4.9.05, a lot, lot of announced functionality included (several months of the job), but it seems it is less stable than 4.9.05. We can't set it back to 4.9.05 (that is a bit more stable) because of scenes compatibility.

The only solution that I actually see is to get really stable build as soon as possible.

But 4.9.05 is not so much better than 4.9.17. They have some common problems. Some of 4.9.05 problems fixed in 4.9.17. Some new problems appeared in 4.9.17. For example, lack of some UI elements in material editor.

For example caching problem present in both of them, it generally exists since the origin of caching. Only now I understood when it happens. And fixed it in 4.9.22.

So I am happy that you have noticed this. I have proven my point then.

This is the only reason why I am asking you to fix this issue. It just doesn't make sense and the " Marketing team " should be aware of this and fix it right away = False Advertising.

I am always happy to test a Beta. Also Most of us are aware not to use a BETA for true Work. So the people out there trying to act as if nothing was happening.. you guys really need to wake up. Nobody is claiming here anything else. All we would like to have is one Professional SOLID STABLE Version. And not try to release it as STABLE ASAP just because you can put it on "SALE" That is unprofessional and dishonest to the costumers and People who actually are awake and do care for " Professional Programs  such as the few I have named. "

Each release that has been sent out.. keeps getting better and better.. And yet still to this day some bugs just stay the same and only new bugs have been introduced. This is wrong in so many ways to ignore the People who actually do care that have reported these issues.

- UI is Annoying and irritating.. ( Give as at least the option to go back to the Original Theme Icons. ) ( Really Hate the new ones )

- Matcaps should really come back ( they were really good )

-Symmetry Still Snaps.. Curved mode?.. ( Why hasn't this been fixed already?

-Smudge Tool still behaves as if it were on some lucid effect. 

If some People think that some are Trolling. It just proves ignorance to you to ignore the truth and justify it as if it were so.

There is no need to SHRUG OFF requests here just because you do not have a proper answer.

I have seen Request on Trello / MantisBT that are still on that waiting list  even if they have been up-voted. Yet till this day only very few have been respected and Professionally dealt with. And more features have been added that are rather cool, but all you are doing is adding more tasks to a already overload of Bugs that need fixing.  / Please stop ignoring them /

( I am not speaking to only one person.  This is a General Comment to the people who believe that everything is Perfectly fine! )

Thank you.

• Like 1