3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Contributor

When you add a new Preset based on BASE BRUSH, the Degree Graph Curve called: EditEffectDegreeOnPressure is not being saved.

image.png.5f870c1d3a7e5cc4425b1ef82a3aa806.png
Every time, with the preset saved and updating the preset again, the curve returns to the program's Default Curve (/).

image.png.4a2b9a0b0f8191880f58a0c1812a3a98.png

• Contributor

In the Presets palette, I have brushes with hotkeys in the Default folder.
I added a new folder in the Presets palette called My_Brushes with other brushes.

The problem is that when I am in the My_Brushes folder and I try to access a Brush from the Default folder via Hotkey, it is not working.

In short, if you are in one folder and try to access the brushes in the other folder via their respective Hotkeys, they will not work. Only Hotkeys work, if the brushes are in the same folder.

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, Speike-Styles said:

So I am happy that you have noticed this. I have proven my point then.

This is the only reason why I am asking you to fix this issue. It just doesn't make sense and the " Marketing team " should be aware of this and fix it right away = False Advertising.

I am always happy to test a Beta. Also Most of us are aware not to use a BETA for true Work. So the people out there trying to act as if nothing was happening.. you guys really need to wake up. Nobody is claiming here anything else. All we would like to have is one Professional SOLID STABLE Version. And not try to release it as STABLE ASAP just because you can put it on "SALE" That is unprofessional and dishonest to the costumers and People who actually are awake and do care for " Professional Programs  such as the few I have named. "

Each release that has been sent out.. keeps getting better and better.. And yet still to this day some bugs just stay the same and only new bugs have been introduced. This is wrong in so many ways to ignore the People who actually do care that have reported these issues.

- UI is Annoying and irritating.. ( Give as at least the option to go back to the Original Theme Icons. ) ( Really Hate the new ones )

- Matcaps should really come back ( they were really good )

-Symmetry Still Snaps.. Curved mode?.. ( Why hasn't this been fixed already?

-Smudge Tool still behaves as if it were on some lucid effect. 

If some People think that some are Trolling. It just proves ignorance to you to ignore the truth and justify it as if it were so.

There is no need to SHRUG OFF requests here just because you do not have a proper answer.

I have seen Request on Trello / MantisBT that are still on that waiting list  even if they have been up-voted. Yet till this day only very few have been respected and Professionally dealt with. And more features have been added that are rather cool, but all you are doing is adding more tasks to a already overload of Bugs that need fixing.  / Please stop ignoring them /

( I am not speaking to only one person.  This is a General Comment to the people who believe that everything is Perfectly fine! )

Thank you.

FALSE ADVERTISING? Really? Andrew just said he thought it was stable, based on the information he had available at the time. Furthermore, FALSE ADVERTISING is making a claim in a PROMOTIONAL. Many software companies, including Mega corporations like Autodesk, release a new version and have to quickly include an important patch shortly afterward. Are they FALSE ADVERTISING?

I understand the frustrations, here. I have to deal with it, too, but we need to take the inflammatory language down a notch and be a little more constructive with our criticisms. Andrew isn't trying to cheat you or anyone else. It was an honest mistake and we should leave it at that. Developers are people, too and they have feelings just like you do.

• Like 3

29.01.20 4.9.22 [beta]

- Fixed surface corruption in voxel mode when the user switches from surface deformation to the move tool.

- Fixed zero-ing eraser degree problem with hotkey.

- Possibility to provide icon for custom tool (Brush engine)

- Curves editor window tweaked a bit - better control over points, snapping with SHIFT.

- Correct saving loading of cached volumes in case of huge scene.

- More predictable curve points moving in curve editor window.

- Several problems related to hotheys fixed.

- Material texture correct preview (for planar mapping) in viewport after drag and drop of material.

- Slicing tool in new curves toolset.

- Principally fixed problems of "UI control loosing"

I very hope this will be stable build or very close to. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

FALSE ADVERTISING? Really? Andrew just said he thought it was stable, based on the information he had available at the time. Furthermore, FALSE ADVERTISING is making a claim in a PROMOTIONAL. Many software companies, including Mega corporations like Autodesk, release a new version and have to quickly include an important patch shortly afterward. Are they FALSE ADVERTISING?

I understand the frustrations, here. I have to deal with it, too, but we need to take the inflammatory language down a notch and be a little more constructive with our criticisms. Andrew isn't trying to cheat you or anyone else. It was an honest mistake and we should leave it at that. Developers are people, too and they have feelings just like you do.

If you would have read everything you would have understood that there was no attack nor accusation to harm nor any kind of rudeness brought forth.

The request was rather simple  " Please release a Create a rather Bug free Version, Please do not haste, Please bring back some features and lastly (x2) please release a rather bug free Version.

If you read anything else then thats on you. the False advertising caught your attention..  yet in the wrong Perspective to the whole request.

I'll give you a tip Try reading it again.

Again I am happy to see 3DCoat Progress and I am happy that Pilgway has created such a amazing software and I am glad that the mistake has been finally taken into awareness of the Marketing team ( that apparently still needs some Practice. .. Keep up the great work :)   )

Also please do not put words in your mind and throw them out there to put a false Perspective. As if they were mine. There is no need to defend something that apparently you sir do not want to understand. My Concern applies to " Pilgway " Only.

PS:: You are the only one mentioning " CHEATING " here :( not so cool.

Thank you for the non bias answer. I totally agree with the " lets tone it down" Perspective just try not to presume something that hasn't been written..

Thank you! have a great one!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

- Fixed surface corruption in voxel mode when the user switches from surface deformation to the move tool.
Wow, that was quick. 

Thanks Andrew, you guys are doing an amazing job. Keep up the good work.
I tested RES+ and Resample in the latest version, and it is much quicker. It still takes a long time to go above the 30mil mark, but sculpting is smooth as butter.

• Contributor

- Remove Stretching option:
   Using the Base Brush and enabling the Remove Stretching option:

The Remove Stretching function is not working correctly.... the polygons still remain stretched.

image.thumb.png.275d6739560ca2f024704e3f4129228e.png

• Contributor
12 hours ago, Rygaard said:

In the Presets palette, I have brushes with hotkeys in the Default folder.
I added a new folder in the Presets palette called My_Brushes with other brushes.

The problem is that when I am in the My_Brushes folder and I try to access a Brush from the Default folder via Hotkey, it is not working.

In short, if you are in one folder and try to access the brushes in the other folder via their respective Hotkeys, they will not work. Only Hotkeys work, if the brushes are in the same folder.

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

29.01.20 4.9.22 [beta]

This Hotkey problem between folders / tabs of the Palette Presets still remains. Here in my tests, I can't access my brushes that have a hotkey in other Preset folders.

• Contributor

General Clay:
Every brush stroke with the General Brush (LiveClays Brushes) is causing strange noises on the mesh surface.
It's like I applied a Noise effect.

I am using a normal Rectangular Alpha.... Strange "noise" deformations in geometry.

image.thumb.png.6174b694a65828614f31891cf1bf6187.png

Thank you for fixing the bugs I posted about regarding the BaseBrush. So much nicer to use now.

I think I found 2 other issues:

1. BaseBrush>Add brush modifier>Clay Brush>CTRL Action>Copy settings from Regular = the Degree parameter won't convert to a negative number

2. BaseBrush>Add brush modifier>Vertex Normal Extrude (I haven't tested all the modifiers, but the few I did test had the same problem)>Adjust Depth Curve>CTRL Action>Copy settings from Regular>Press Ok>Test brush by pressing CTRL and drawing on object = Crash

I sent in the bug report.

Edit: I just got an undelivered mail message, so you may not have received my Bug report:

Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to domain's 550-5.7.26 DMARC policy
Edited by SilverCity
New information

• Reputable Contributor

I'm still on 4.9.21 but I don't think there was anything about shaders in .22 so this is probably still relevant.

Quite a few problems with shaders.

* Create a new shader, give it a name, then delete it.
- Create a new shader in a different folder, with the same name as the deleted one.
- Move the newly created shader to the folder where there deleted one was.
   >your new shader has vanished, being replaced by the deleted one.

* Create a new shader and add textures, then click OK
- Right click vox layer > edit permanent shaders settings
- Change a texture.
   >You get a placeholder texture instead of the one you added
   >if you edit permanent shaders settings again and click ok, the new textures appear, but the normals are all wrong on the object
   >if you edit one more time and click ok, the shader now displays correctly

* Create a new shader and go though the steps above until your shader displays correctly
-change Bumpiness to a very high value.
    >A sharp line appears at the texture's edges
image.thumb.png.ce47802f323e05b67eabb93dd2384d15.png

• Contributor
21 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I think that is too extreme of a case for that tool. You will probably need to try a technique like this:

I try another test with little holes on sphere....
and the Fill Holes are not working at all.

By the way, thanks for the video! :)

image.thumb.png.55c028f7b5413b04b492e003a015b520.png

Edited by Rygaard

• Contributor
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

Are you clicking on the edge of the hole?

Yes. I have used this tool several times before presenting this problem.
Are you able to use the tool normally?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Rygaard said:

I found CLOSE HOLE worked properly, but FILL HOLES did not. So, you are right about that specific tool

• Reputable Contributor

...my guess is a LOT of these tools that worked before the refactoring, but stopped working afterward, were probably rushed through and had important code omitted during the refactoring.

• Reputable Contributor

...just tested FILL HOLES in 4.9.05. Works perfectly. So, yeah, that's the source of most of these bugs. The refactoring work done. It left a mess of broken tools.

• Contributor
59 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

found CLOSE HOLE worked properly, but FILL HOLES did not. So, you are right about that specific tool

Yes, Close Holes is working.
So, if you use Poly Remove with the Remesh Cut Area option enabled (It will work for large holes, including the image of the huge hole I posted about Fill Close that didn't work. The filling was not so good , but closed the hole.)

image.png.e1e0723be14da7624ffa626e15b60ebb.png

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

...my guess is a LOT of these tools that worked before the refactoring, but stopped working afterward, were probably rushed through and had important code omitted during the refactoring.

56 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

..just tested FILL HOLES in 4.9.05. Works perfectly. So, yeah, that's the source of most of these bugs. The refactoring work done. It left a mess of broken tools.

You're absolutely right! With "refactoring" this problem may have happened with many tools, features and program interface.
But as time goes on, I'm sure that all these problems will be resolved by the developers.

In my opinion, fixes for many problems are being resolved quickly along with several important implementations and I am very grateful to Andrew and the developers for this.

• Contributor
6 hours ago, SilverCity said:

BaseBrush: I'm crashing 3D-Coat when I try to Copy/Paste alpha's in the Brush editor.

I just tested it and this is causing a critical error to happen that closes the 3d-coat.
Before, if I'm not mistaken, when I tested Copy and Paste Alpha, these operations were not working. But now, the 3d-coat crash happens.

image.thumb.png.5f63d2a5bb01316f6e47c51521cbe066.png

• Advanced Member
50 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

I was testing this issue, if the stroke velocity is slow (very slow) GralBrush + Strips works fine.

But if brush strokes are fast, sculpt details are erratic.

In my experience it's not effect to speed, more to mesh and angle of brush movement.
Here slow moving example

• Advanced Member
On 1/25/2020 at 2:00 AM, Carlosan said:

I want to be clear on this: all the versions that you can find in this thread are BETA.
When they refer to stable, they found no notable crashes before the release.

There are more stable beta versions and less stable beta versions. But ALL are BETA.
They should NOT be used in production.

They only serve to see and test future new tools, which are currently in development stage and can be changed or modified.

Apparently you are not in the know.
Stable versions including are laid out in this branch.
According to your words, this program cannot be used at all, because it is in eternal beta.

I will respond in general to avoid personal discussions about what we think.

Due to the continuous technological changes, all programs are in beta status.

All the programs that we buy use or know, are in beta status.

That is why new versions or service packs always appear.

Software with more specific solutions are easier to maintain than the most complex, the oldest software on the market can work on long-term developments, etc.

That is why the development team made the decision to perform a code refactoring.

And that is what matters, knowing that the source code is not expired, that it is being modernized to improve development and maintenance, and above all that it is preparing to create a solid code base for future developments.