3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

On 4/22/2020 at 9:36 AM, tcwik said:

move tool bug :/

Hi tcwick, I've had a similar issue not long ago.
It mostly happened after an undo when the tool was still active.

A clean un-installation and re-installation of 3D Coat solved the issue in my case.
I'm not sure if it was related to my config files or else.

Back up your presets, preferences etc. and try to start afresh.

Hope that helps.

• Sad 1

27.04.20 4.9.41 (beta, close to stable)

- 3D-printing friendly mode in start thumbnail.

- Catmull-Clark subdivision in retopo room. Two different commands - "Subdivide selected" and "Subdivide whole group". Enable in preferences, Beta tools.

- Edit->Preferences reorganized, Beta section moved to own tab.

- Optional "Factures" room - may be turned ON in Edit->Prefs->Beta

- Possibility to set a special folder just for textures in the export dialog.

- Smooth, SHIFT, CTRL+SHIFT smoothing options supported in Voxel mode in the surface section.

- Click on Downgrade/Restore will not cache/uncache immediately to avoid unintended action.

- SHIFT and CTRL+SHIFT mechanism changed in Sculpt room to prevent incorrect CTRL+SHIFT action.

- Fixed "Geometry->Weld vertices". Not it does not corrupt meshes even if mesh structure is wrong. It allows to use this command as "mesh healer" if mesh becomes corrupt.

- Speed-up for the "Remove strenching" lag at the end of stroke.

- Fixed brushing in surface mode over transformed volumes.

- Correct displacement painting (in paint room) for transformed volumes.

- Previewing (and other visual) problems of Tapering tool solved.

- No pen controls in Primitives/Transform/Bas-relief/Undercuts tools (was distracting and unnecessary)

- Constructor tool UI problems solved (too big icons).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2016 at 4:09 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Factures are sort of big "easter egg" in 3D-Coat. Actually it is very powerful way to make super-detalized objects. For example you have landscape and want to cover it with grass, rock, sand etc textures. Of course direct painting over uv-ed mesh is bad idea there - huge textures will be required. Putting tiled texture is bad idea as well - tiling is well visible, edge between different textures is visible too. Factures is good solution for this. It is per-vertex textuing. UV coordinate assigned to vertex, textures are assigned per-vertex as well, if different vertices has different textures - they will be blended between each other and no seams will appear. But there are several problems:

1) Export. Engine/3d-package should support per-vertex color/alpha channel to use FBX exported from Coat. Usualy need to setup nodes to use exported result correctly.

2) Still unfinished a bit. No good textures, no defaul library of textures. No shaders included. I will include shaders in next build.

That technology may be amazing and revolutionary, but still unfinished. But we are slowly moving it to useable state, it is not fast process. Some help may be really helpful - need license-free textures for factures. Grass, rocks, sand, etc with color, gloss and normalmaps.

• Thanks 2

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Catmull-Clark subdivision in retopo room. Two different commands - "Subdivide selected" and "Subdivide whole group". Enable in preferences, Beta tools.

it is good news:D. but I don't find increase/decrease Slider.

Is that function irreversible?

if... if increase/decrease "reversible" catmull-clark , I think more wonderful.

• Like 3

@Silas Merlin

- ArtOfSoulburn
Map is only as detailed as the amount of vertices in your mesh. So you need lots of geometry to get detail

- robinb
Vertex colours are tremendously useful in game engines. We use them for all sorts of data. What specifically they’re used for will depend on the game engine and the shader on the object.

At the most basic level, they can be used to tint objects so you don’t need multiple textures for different colours. This is also why they were originally used to hold lighting values. Baked lighting per vertex is very very cheap, albeit low res.

They can be used to blend textures for terrains. Especially useful here as textures will need to tile over large areas, but not look tiley. You can use a huge mask texture, but vertex colours are much cheaper and you don’t need to set up a second Uv channel with all unique uvs.

They can even hold values for things like how much to move if an object is dynamic cloth, or be affected by wind, like trees swaying.

If you think of them as four values per vertex (RGB and alpha), there’s all sorts of things you can use them for.

source...

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, jene said:

it is good news:D. but I don't find increase/decrease Slider.

Is that function irreversible?

if... if increase/decrease "reversible" catmull-clark , I think more wonderful.

In the retopo room, subdivision is not in levels that you can step up and down in, or with a modifier that you can switch on and off. At least not at this point. It would be nice to have that kind of option. 

• Like 2

[4.39.41 Gl/Dx] ..Pointing [by shortcut in Voxel room] still not work correctly  plus 'split with' [Voxel Boolean action] have the same bug with selection, like 'subtract from' [Voxel Boolean action] couple numbers earlier ;]

splitw.JPG

ee.JPG

• Advanced Member

my friend says,  3D mouse can not use in v4.9  .

he says, "I was able to use 3D mouse until V4.8.40. but  I can not use it since V4.9".

his PC is macOS catalina. he uses 3D connextion mouse.

does anyone has same issue?

• Advanced Member

hello, carlosan, Abnranger.

reply thank you.

I will wait a future request. thank you.

• Advanced Member

This "Factures" tool seems indeed really powerful (or at least extremely interesting especially for accurate terrain/environment mesh vtx painting). Cool news !

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/30/2020 at 4:14 AM, jene said:

my friend says,  3D mouse can not use in v4.9  .

he says, "I was able to use 3D mouse until V4.8.40. but  I can not use it since V4.9".

his PC is macOS catalina. he uses 3D connextion mouse.

does anyone has same issue?

I'm using a Spacemouse everyday in the newest 4.9 builds. Windows 10

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I am still on 4.9.39, so, some of these may be fixed now ?
Anyway, here are some bugs/problems I noticed lately :

---

Drag and drop a jpg image with the .jpeg extension to the stencil panel : no stencil gets created and you get a tiny popup that says just "ca".
Rename the file to the .jpg extension and now you can drag and drop to create a stencil.

---

Paint room.
Paint an area with freeze tool.
In Freeze menu, click "Show/hide freeze".
Press 2 or View menu > Flat shade :
the frozen pixels become visible in black. (expected behavior being that they remain not visible)

Press 5 for smooth shade : the frozen pixels are still black, but you can now use "show/hide freeze" once more.

---

Create a mesh with two surface materials with connected islands texture size 2048
In paint room, Freeze menu > freeze surface material (choose one)
Freeze menu > smooth freezing
>>> 3dc starts spinning, computer heats up, have to end process in task manager.

In this situation the freezing occurs for other items in that menu too, like expand frozen area and such.

---

When you do Objectify Hidden, the new layer_hidden becomes the active layer.
My expectation is that the hidden geometry has beeen MOVED to this new layer.
HOWEVER, it has not been moved, it has been DUPLICATED. The hidden voxels are still on the original layer.
BECASUSE the new layer has become active, it is easy to forget that the hidden voxels are still there, on the original layer.

Later, you find yourself working on the original layer and forgot about this. If you hide new voxels, and objectify them.... it objectifies the voxels you thought were deleted, along with the new ones.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:02 PM, Silas Merlin said:

I am still on 4.9.39, so, some of these may be fixed now ?
Anyway, here are some bugs/problems I noticed lately :

---

Drag and drop a jpg image with the .jpeg extension to the stencil panel : no stencil gets created and you get a tiny popup that says just "ca".
Rename the file to the .jpg extension and now you can drag and drop to create a stencil.

---

Paint room.
Paint an area with freeze tool.
In Freeze menu, click "Show/hide freeze".
Press 2 or View menu > Flat shade :
the frozen pixels become visible in black. (expected behavior being that they remain not visible)

Press 5 for smooth shade : the frozen pixels are still black, but you can now use "show/hide freeze" once more.

---

Create a mesh with two surface materials with connected islands texture size 2048
In paint room, Freeze menu > freeze surface material (choose one)
Freeze menu > smooth freezing
>>> 3dc starts spinning, computer heats up, have to end process in task manager.

In this situation the freezing occurs for other items in that menu too, like expand frozen area and such.

---

When you do Objectify Hidden, the new layer_hidden becomes the active layer.
My expectation is that the hidden geometry has beeen MOVED to this new layer.
HOWEVER, it has not been moved, it has been DUPLICATED. The hidden voxels are still on the original layer.
BECASUSE the new layer has become active, it is easy to forget that the hidden voxels are still there, on the original layer.

Later, you find yourself working on the original layer and forgot about this. If you hide new voxels, and objectify them.... it objectifies the voxels you thought were deleted, along with the new ones.

Thanks for reporting, fixed most of..., but freeze not reproduced. Could be good to get example scene to andrewshpaging@gmail.com

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Thanks for reporting, fixed most of..., but freeze not reproduced. Could be good to get example scene to andrewshpaging@gmail.com

Thanks.
email sent.
I could post the file here too for others to try to reproduce, it's a cc-by mesh from web.

• Reputable Contributor

Additional small problems, still 4.9.39 :

-------

Shift+LMB no longer smoothes the mesh with Move tool.

-------

Retopo room :
Uv tools
Once a preview of a newly created island exists, moving the vertices (holding RMB) does not result in a new updated preview (you have to delete a seam and then add it again to get a new preview)

• Advanced Member

h

On 4/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, Carlosan said:

Vertex colours are tremendously useful in game engines. We use them for all sorts of data. What specifically they’re used for will depend on the game engine and the shader on the object.

At the most basic level, they can be used to tint objects so you don’t need multiple textures for different colours. This is also why they were originally used to hold lighting values. Baked lighting per vertex is very very cheap, albeit low res.

They can be used to blend textures for terrains. Especially useful here as textures will need to tile over large areas, but not look tiley. You can use a huge mask texture, but vertex colours are much cheaper and you don’t need to set up a second Uv channel with all unique uvs.

They can even hold values for things like how much to move if an object is dynamic cloth, or be affected by wind, like trees swaying.

If you think of them as four values per vertex (RGB and alpha), there’s all sorts of things you can use them for.

So 3D coat is bringing multi material painting using vertex colors.

Let's do a reverse usage on painted model below

From a model painted with a material doing erosion and scrathes, could 3D be able to extract the tiling textures and correct Vertex paitning values ?

- blue metal paint tiling texture

- erosion metal tiling texture

- vertex colour map

Similar to some Substance Designer materials, this would decrease a lot textures size as instead of 4K texture painting and baking, we could use two small tiling textures and a vertex color map for that model.

3-Dcoat-Baking.png

Edited by Ratchet

• Reputable Contributor

@Carlosan I get this : when trying to fill.
some areas are not painted at all.

This is right after baking with normal map on  4.9.42 :
-I select layer 1 (layer 0 is selected by default after bake for some reason ?)

-pick a smart material and fill tool. click on the mesh : nothing happens
-switch to paint brush and paint : it paints;
-swith to fill tool again, click on the mesh, I get this :
image.thumb.png.5963a13c3ab5aa970febe8b72caa32ab.png

-Now I save the file.
-Reopen
-select smart material and fill tool again, then click on the mesh.
I get this : image.thumb.png.636b3b8f3d3a4c4625535ae20d07a680.png

image.thumb.png.f23125c665c420c73b8303620c60e40b.png

-Now, I do Texture > calculate curvature
-then I fill again :
image.thumb.png.27da578d0c334917976dee9c493f092f.png

No more artifacts at the seams                
Test file (which won't produce artifacts) : test.zip

• Like 2