3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

12.05.20 4.9.43 (beta, close to stable)

- "Factures" renamed to "VerTextures" because it is exactly what factures are - Vertex Texturing

- After baking, we finish at Layer1, not Layer0.

- Possibility to import Quixel materials as VerTextures.

- Baking Curvature improved, the better quality of smoothed part of the curvature.

- Correct refresh of the Color Swatches window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
44 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

12.05.20 4.9.43 (beta, close to stable)

- "Factures" renamed to "VerTextures" because it is exactly what factures are - Vertex Texturing

- After baking, we finish at Layer1, not Layer0.

- Possibility to import Quixel materials as VerTextures.

- Baking Curvature improved, the better quality of smoothed part of the curvature.

- Correct refresh of the Color Swatches window.

Has the CTRL ACTION menu issues been fixed?

After fill surface mesh with any Smart Material (Paint rooom) any depth stroke on VerTexture or cut mesh or make transparency holes.

- Only one Surface tool type to select for depth paint ?

If Surface mode mesh is Parent on hierarchy class, and we can paint with color, roughness, metal, normal over the mesh... 

- Could VerTexture and Sculpt room be mixed ?

For my pov, VerTexture is another Tool option for Sculpt. As Surface Paint is.

Note:

Go to Paint Room, select any Smart MAterial and keep it open.

Switch to VerTexture, select fill mode, turn off any Vertext, fill... is not clear how every operation is affect the other... a bit unintuitive for me.

Name change suggestion: VerTexture -> Vertext

Vertex2.jpg

Vertex.jpg

It took me a while to understand the difference between vertex paint with smartmaterial and VerTextures until I used the scale rotation commands ... and I saw that the texture could be modified after being painted, really amazing and lots of potential. Thx Andrew.

note: what are these spots that appear sometimes?

Spot.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I don't know if it is intentional or a bug in 4.9.43, but this is really nice.

It is no longer necessary to use virtual mirror to be able to get 3dc to stack islands automatically.

Simply doing Retopo > Apply symmetry to current layer stacks the islands on top of each other nicely !
(it remains possible to unstack them by simply moving them or unwrapping again)

So I'd say it's a nice new feature to have, but I don't recall seiing this in any of the release notes, so I guess it is unintentional ?

---------

Another subject, a question :
Is the (in)ability to export only a selection of paint objects and not all going to be tackled anytime soon ? (Ideally 3dc would export only visible paint objects)

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I don't know if it is intentional or a bug in 4.9.43, but this is really nice.

It is no longer necessary to use virtual mirror to be able to get 3dc to stack islands automatically.

Simply doing Retopo > Apply symmetry to current layer stacks the islands on top of each other nicely !
(it remains possible to unstack them by simply moving them or unwrapping again)

So I'd say it's a nice new feature to have, but I don't recall seiing this in any of the release notes, so I guess it is unintentional ?

---------

Another subject, a question :
Is the (in)ability to export only a selection of paint objects and not all going to be tackled anytime soon ? (Ideally 3dc would export only visible paint objects)

I think that has been the default behavior for a long time. I actually do not like it, personally. I'd rather it be an option. Because, if I have already laid out my UV's and for some reason, need to use Symmetrical Copy, it just messes up all the work I did, and now I have to go back and re-arrange the furniture (islands) all over again.

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I think that has been the default behavior for a long time. I actually do not like it, personally. I'd rather it be an option. Because, if I have already laid out my UV's and for some reason, need to use Symmetrical Copy, it just messes up all the work I did, and now I have to go back and re-arrange the furniture (islands) all over again.

Good point, that would be frustrating !

This bug has been reported before, but since I use the BaseBrush almost exclusively now, I hope this gets fixed.

The issue is that when Buildup is enabled for the Clay brush, the stroke becomes uncontrollable as if the effect is too extreme. This problem is more noticeable when using higher depth settings and when the mesh surface is at an angle to the camera. The buildup effect also seems to extrude in the direction of the camera and is not based on the vertex normals like Clays default behavior.

BaseBrush-ClayBU_Bug-3.jpg

Edited by SilverCity
spelling

17 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Where are hotkeys stored  ?
I can't find them in the hotkeys.xml anymore

they are in" *.hotkeys" file in a looong time ;p

• Reputable Contributor

A suggestion to further improve drag and drop of stencils : Check if file name already exists in folder > IF yes, rename

As it is now a new stencil dropped into the panel will overwrite existing stencil with same file name in the folder.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to have the render room lights visible in the sculpt room? The sculpt room has always had the lights coming from above only, meaning it's impossible to see the underside of anything you're working on.  In the Render room I can set the lights however I want them so I can easily see what I'm doing.  On the character below I suspected there was a crease I needed to smooth out on her stomach but I had to go to the render room to confirm it. When I go to fix the crease I'll have to guess where to put my brush.

3DC_lighting.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
9 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

Would it be possible to have the render room lights visible in the sculpt room? The sculpt room has always had the lights coming from above only, meaning it's impossible to see the underside of anything you're working on.  In the Render room I can set the lights however I want them so I can easily see what I'm doing.  On the character below I suspected there was a crease I needed to smooth out on her stomach but I had to go to the render room to confirm it. When I go to fix the crease I'll have to guess where to put my brush.

Camera menu > background > lock environement

"Up" as far as lighting is concerned will always be the top of the screen : simply rotate the camera to place the underside in the light.

41 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

3DC_lighting.png

Ok. 

In other software this called HeadLamp - A light is projected from the camera (view screen) down the center of axis.

This would be a great addition to 3D coat.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member
41 minutes ago, Southern_Cross said:

Ok. 

In other software this called HeadLamp - A light is projected from the camera (view screen) down the center of axis.

Agreed,

It would make sculpting with PBR shaders a lot better.  Currently, I use matcaps for sculpting because they simulate this effect.

• Advanced Member

44 seems great - but something new is happening in Paint room.  (Unless this is a known issue and I'm not aware).

Occasionally I get random hidden polys when there seems to be no reason for it.  To get them to show up sometimes I undo, and sometimes I have to quit 3DC and rerun.  Is this a bug or a video driver issue? I'm using the 445.87 Nvidia Geforce drivers (pretty close to latest if not the latest).  Anyone know what's going on here? thanks!

errorjpg.thumb.jpg.0130e8d7e96e64a2955c5912c6feee18.jpg

Edited by popwfx
  • Sad 1

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, gbball said:

Agreed,

It would make sculpting with PBR shaders a lot better.  Currently, I use matcaps for sculpting because they simulate this effect.

I recently asked Andrew if we could get a Hotkey toggle for Render Room rendering in the Sculpt Room and Paint Room. He sounded like he liked the idea. Maybe if others email him, it will add to the priority of the request

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Southern_Cross said:

Ok. 

Yes I was thinking about that too. LightWave calls it a headlight but same thing, light projects from the camera.

• Reputable Contributor

Where is this "plane options button" please ?
Tool options panel is empty that's where I expected to find it;

I was going to try that relatively recent "on plane" mode in retopo room, but... with tool options empty to help define plane, I have no idea how to make use of it.

image.png.890ae2116009fc47ab33512bc5ea9969.png

After more fidding, I find it is possible to go to the sculpt room to edit the plane settings and then come back to the retopo room.... but..... you'd want that accessible in the retopo room, really, yes ?

Also there is a huge problem, because plane controls are deeply tied to the RMB.... and so is the retopo room. Big conflict there.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1