3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin I'm bringing Zbrush into this topic.  In PPP mode, setting up for painting with displacement with smart material, I set smoothing angle to 90 with smoothing full on... but when I paint displacement on character on areas like butt crack or, ear connecting to the head, groin area or between the fingers (all tight spaces) the seams tear. I've imported character with the legs and fingers spread and this is less to none tearring in those areas.

However, if I create/paint displacement in zbrush the character does not get tearring ... is this a bug with 3DCoat or am I using the wrong smoothing angle? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Character Errors.zip

Edited by Ascensi
update

18 hours ago, Ascensi said:

@Andrew Shpagin I'm bringing Zbrush into this topic.  In PPP mode, setting up for painting with displacement with smart material, I set smoothing angle to 90 with smoothing full on... but when I paint displacement on character on areas like butt crack or, ear connecting to the head, groin area or between the fingers (all tight spaces) the seams tear. I've imported character with the legs and fingers spread and this is less to none tearring in those areas.

However, if I create/paint displacement in zbrush the character does not get tearring ... is this a bug with 3DCoat or am I using the wrong smoothing angle? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Character Errors.zip

If you paint in PPP mode then displacement is just preview. It may break on seams. But final result is texture, not geometry. So exported texture will be correct.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

If "ignore back faces" is technically impossible to implement for the projector, (is it?), then how about using a paint layer as a sort of clip mask for it ? (as in, ignore painted pixels)

EDIT : SCRATCH that, stupid me, that would not work on voxels.....

err, how about "ignore back faces", is it feasible ? :)

I mean ,  imagine a projector, its light is blocked by objects, it doesn't go through and illuminate the other sides, or anything hidden behind it.
I understand this is not an actual projector, so, I have no idea what is possible, especially in realtime. And I am amazed how well the projector currently works in realtime. No FPS drop at all.

Edited by Silas Merlin

29.07.20 4.9.56

- Seems 3D-Connexion support was causing lags when wireless mouse used. So 3D-Connexion support was completely rewritten from scratch. So it mey differ in feeling, but FPG is bigger now.

- Fixed "grey pattern" problem during caching.

- Axial tool works correctly in voxels, instance off.

- Cut&Clone supports symmetry and soft booleans.

- Important symmetry addition - "Translation symmetry". It is enabled obly is beta tools enabled. It allows to paint/create periodical structures in space.

- Downgrading voxel mesh return to voxel mode if you edit the proxy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

the difference is feeling means... a lot of tweaking until it feels right again, I think. (I'm not there yet).

It would have been nice to add true freecam mode, it would have helped ease the pain.
I don't know about you all, but the setting I use is "rotate around current pick point". It is the one that gives me the most control over the 3d mouse.
However, it means you have to always be aware of the position of your mouse cursor on the mesh.
And despite having your attention on it all the time, it happens that your mouse goes over a distant mesh, which throws your navigation completely off course and you end up miles away when that happens.
if we had the option to "rotate around camera position", this would not happen, you'd have full control.

A nice little something that could be added would be inertia, I think it is called "feathering" sometimes.

------
That said, I have a BIG problem with this new version :
Whatever buttons I assign in the 3dx properties for 3d-Coat, I get the radial menus instead !
How do I fix that ? Please ?

----
Other issue is that in Preferences "disable roll" seems to have no effect whatsoever.

My respect to Mr Shpagin and the support team for fixing the downgrading behaviour in voxel mode ( tested 4.9.56 /GL).

Now when you restore the downgraded volume (after editing the proxy) it switches automatically again to voxels with  little triangle count added to the initial volume. Thanks!

p.s: this fix could also added among the others to the version history list info in the first page of this topic ;)   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks for testing Mr Merlin. Id literally forgotten about it since yesterday, so did not have a go, I think I would have got real cross.Sounds like you had a nightmare.

Did anyone test their 3dconnextion who had had trouble with it before ,with the update.

• Advanced Member
On 7/30/2020 at 9:47 AM, geoath said:

My respect to Mr Shpagin and the support team for fixing the downgrading behaviour in voxel mode ( tested 4.9.56 /GL).

Now when you restore the downgraded volume (after editing the proxy) it switches automatically again to voxels with  little triangle count added to the initial volume. Thanks!

p.s: this fix could also added among the others to the version history list info in the first page of this topic ;)   

geoath is right :) Super cool updates!

• Reputable Contributor

This is the more interesting use imho 

image.thumb.png.88395d43eaa264b4c3a4fffb99d5abc7.png

leave it a 100 if you are at default scene scale, I use scale 100 hence why I need to set step to 1

The tiles from splash screen are good when you use only colour. They cause artifacts as soon as you try to sculpt.
the translation symmetry method above is perfect for sculpting to export depth. No artifacts.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

BUG/Error?  in 4.9.56 that I haven't seen before:

• I am in Paint Room - Multilayered object with many layers
  • Select Eraser tool
  • Select only to erase normals
  • Select normals layer and unlock it
  • Turn on Symmetry X Enabled
  • Choose the 3rd default fine gradient circle brush
  • Erase some normal displacement on half the face
  • Watch the cursor on the other side of the face move in symmetry
  • BUT NO ERASING on the other half of the face - despite fully symmetric face

Why doesn't normal erasing work for symmetry?

On 7/20/2020 at 3:58 AM, celer said:

Can't add new volume to Root volume in Sculpt Tree sometimes

Thanks for your detailed explanation! The problem is present on my Mac too but only in "Release" build of "3DCoat". For some reason buttons [+] works correctly in "Debug" build of "3DCoat". It will take some time to investigate the reason because the debugger is absent in "Release" configuration.

• Contributor

Is anyone else having issues with trying to create an AO layer and export them? I'm exporting with a character that has multiple UVs and started fresh(no other textures imported) It exports only a couple  UV/mats but with even/soft distribution of the  base character but not of the height map painted areas except for the head but is smooth AO not the rough dynamic height I painted.  This is for 8K resolution.   I've exported just fine in the past, selected layer 0 and exported everything but this time the areas I painted are pure white. Creating ao with different gama setting doesn't seem to create any difference.  Problems from V 4.9.53+

On 8/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, popwfx said:

BUG/Error?  in 4.9.56 that I haven't seen before:

• I am in Paint Room - Multilayered object with many layers
  • Select Eraser tool
  • Select only to erase normals
  • Select normals layer and unlock it
  • Turn on Symmetry X Enabled
  • Choose the 3rd default fine gradient circle brush
  • Erase some normal displacement on half the face
  • Watch the cursor on the other side of the face move in symmetry
  • BUT NO ERASING on the other half of the face - despite fully symmetric face

Why doesn't normal erasing work for symmetry?

Scene will help greatly. On simple samples all works as expected.

• Advanced Member
On 8/11/2020 at 7:44 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Scene will help greatly. On simple samples all works as expected.

I'll see if I can send link to a private scene file for you to test or strip it down and post a basic scene.  This object has a lot of layers and blendshapes etc

• Advanced Member

for a long time, my friend and I have said.

"I want to draw it the out of UV on 2D editor."

"the out of UV of an imported image is removed . it is not happy."

is this function implemented  in the future?

Many improvement points of new version are great. thank you Mr andrew and developers.

2deditor.gif

Edited by jene

On 8/12/2020 at 11:12 PM, Hdharris said:

Question: While drawing, the ui goes blurry, but when I lift the stylus, the ui returns to normal, clear status. Is this a known issue?

I'm using a rtx 3080,  ryzen 3900x, and 3dcoat openGL

3dcoat blurry.png

3dcoat Clear.png

Am I really the only one with this problem?

19.08.20 4.9.57 (stable)

- Essential render update! Screen space reflections and lights! Much more realistic render. Works if Beta tools enabled and corresponding checkboxes enabled in render room. Videos:

- Stencils supported in brush engine.

- Angular pinch modified to change pinch and flatten independently. Roof pinch brush introduced.

- A bit slowed translation with Space mode for better control, especially in ortho mode.

- Boundary green ref image gizmo part works correctly.

- Opacity slider for the color of the smart material layer. It solves the old standing problem when layers with white color are becoming transparent.

- Fixed problem of N-Gon primitive in voxels when the inner radius is zero.

• Like 4