3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, nameless_one said:

Hi friends! Thank you for the awesome new tools and development! ^__^

Renaming a folder in shader palette seems to insta-crash my 4.9.63 and 4.9.37 versions. Maybe worth checking out if it is a general issue.

Windows beta 4.9.63 Gl.

Confirmed on my end... 

• Advanced Member
On 9/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, digman said:

Brush size I choose a very large number. Might not need 40 but it works.

Increased opacity to 200 percent (manual typing in the amount). Might not need 200 percent but I play it safe.

Choose connective picking. 

Freezing and Un-Freezing both work.

EdIt:

I did some more testing. The most import setting is connective picking and brush radius size. Changing the freeze degree beyond 100 percent seems not to effect it as much.

Play with those settings but connective picking needs to be chosen and at least 1.0 brush radius or higher but this also would depend I believe upon the scale of your model, for brush radius size. Make the brush radius large enough to fill the inside of the model's polygons completely.  Of course you will not see the brush radius yellow cursor when using the single polygon mode. 

New Test :The Monkey ( not the one shown in the picture.)

Connective picking.

Brush radius "7.0"

Contrast: 100%

Freezing degree: 100%

Yes thanks you test.  I suppose I  may need those settings which you discribed. (set brush size large enough without visible brush alhpa, and set freeze as 100 percent can not freeze mesh as full, then need to set200 or 150 etc. 

but it seems kind of bug for me. (so I reported here) , basically when we use the option, we may expect one click to get full freeze. (I suppose) with 100 strength.

and with ctrl + 1 click need to remove the selected face freeze perfectly, with 100 strength...  if it need to set 200 or 150, I can not get what is real full freeze value.

Then  I do not know why it need to adjust brush size. (it is not expected. )  the option of brush is for color (or fill) each poligon which we selected,, 

So if brush alpha is ignored (actually we can not change brush alpha), there is almost no reason we color some part of poligon with circle (brush size)

I think the option  only use the first smooth brush alpha (actually fix the alpha then I can not choose another brush)

so it can not color as full but may show smooth area  without developer intention . 

Then about connective picking I have supposed it only related mesh which actually separaetd. but If it related this issue , I check again. thanks.

=====

Yes as my first pic already show, it seems use the first smooth brush alpha, so it show circle border, and freeze gradiant. Then digman setting needs to fill with one click ,but it really depend each poligon size..  I suppose if we can still use brush alpha for the poligon select mode. because it actually show current brush alpha effect. (but withou reason, 3d coat seems Fix the brush to use the first one ^^; I suppose)

Edited by tokikake

• Reputable Contributor

@tokikake

I agreed. Using the single polygon tool in freezing mode should fill a single polygon completely as it does when regular painting regardless of brush size. 

My method is only a workaround as you asked for help. Next time I will state it is a work around. 

Connective picking is not necessary. I gave it to be safe.

Really only setting your brush radius large is the factor to filling a single polygon with freeze completely. Make it a very large radius and you will not have to worry about filling a single polygon completely on any part of a model.

• Advanced Member

Request If I bring in a primitive to the sculpt space and click on models. I get the option to create a cage ( which is great ) BUT when I try to move the cage points the Gizmo appear directly over the point i want to move, this is fine if you want to move with the gizmo. However moving without is more artist friendly, its really frustrating having the gizmo pop up under your cursor everytime you're trying to simply move the cage. Could we have a Remove All Controls added to the drop down list?

gizmo_01.thumb.png.d8a849670ff2b1c51d7e38baa7118c22.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

There is a problem, something that I believe should have its own check and warning like for when you have two surface materials with the same name :

If you do vertex painting before baking, and it so happens that you have a paint layer that has the same name as one of the sculpt objects... then 3dc will become confused at baking. because when you bake, the shader of the sculpt gets baked to a paint layer that is named after the object.

If you already have a paint layer with that name, 3dc does not create a new one, but tries to bake on that one and fails.
When you try to fix this after the fact, you may lose the painting on that layer if you are not careful.

Edited by Silas Merlin

4.10.20 4.9.65 (stable)

- Better visualization of the currently selected element - pen, stencis, material, shader...

- Names of smart materials in materials list.

- Fixed crash - rename shaders folder.

- Cylinder primitive UI corrected.

- Fixed stencil & cutoff issue with transformed volumes.

- Fixed Freeze in polygon mode issue (dependence on radius)

- Fixed crash during the panorama loading

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello and thank you for all the great improvements!

The following request is one of comfort and will sound selfish, but I bet that many Zbrush users can relate and would appreciate it. I have tremendous muscle memory from the years of Zbrush use that inverts brush function with Alt. I was wondering if it would be possible to allow Alt mapping as a shortcut for "Invert Tool" at some point in the future. Currently it is not possible (Or at least that has been my understanding). It would help users that use both programs in their workflows to adjust and work faster.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

4.10.20 4.9.65 (stable)

- Fixed Freeze in polygon mode issue (dependence on radius)

Thanks now it not use brush size, (so each poligon will be filled as Freeze and can remove with one click)

Then there seems  one problem remain,,  now the polygon selection mode ignore "Freeze  degree value" , so it can only fill with 100 or zero.

I believe we need not use brush size, for the poligon selection mode, but   we may still hope to  use "Freeze degree" if I can... .:mellow: (as same as opacity or depth value)

with polgion selection mode.. 

===

I expect the mode will work with these 3 rule,, (though I do not know how others think,, eg if someone think  poligon selection mode need not count strength etc)

1. Freeze brush with poligon selection mode not use "brush alpha". (OK)

2. Freeze brush with poligon selection mode not depend brush size (OK)

3 Freeze brush with poligon selection mode only change the strength with "Freeze degree" value (Current NO. )

Then I may apreciate,  if 3d coat will offer way to adjust freeze strength with mouse only, (eg when we mouse  middle scroll with freeze mode, it change Freeze strength value like depth) but at least I hope to it work with "Freeze degree" value. (we adjust it with slider or input value)

Edited by tokikake
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

Hi Andrew  , just getting back to you with proof about glitches appearing painting with smart material with displacement. In this case it's not UVs, it's not texture output it's not the 3DCoat view window showing artifacts that won't be visible in other programs.  Painting Displacement is fine in Zbrush, I never have this issue with it. . I exported this at layer 0, with displacement as an EXR    This spike is visible in 3DCoat and is still visible in iClone. I could provide a link to my project so it can be examined, just let me know where to send it, thanks.   

This is a critical issue, i guess it happens when something isn't matched properly and this maybe the last hurdle to overcome to help make the workflow solid. This particular model is a sphere and the spike is happening at a pole, actually maybe again it is an issue with UV seams. It can be reduced with the height adjustment tool with magnification but creates such a huge drop it can't be smoothed , smoothing brings the spikes back. Maybe another hint how what's going on is that in the external 3D program if I offset the UVs it will change the spike size but the location is always the same and they are black so maybe the padding is getting displacement when it shouldn't?

image.png

image.png

Edited by Ascensi
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
9 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

The main problem is a clear way to reproduce. If you will provide it, I will fix it, otherwise seeking may take so long time...

Thanks Andrew I messaged Carlosan and shared a model with instructions how to reproduce and the theory about displacement is being painted on Black marked padding, invertering the displacement etc. Hopefully it it can finally be resolved :)

does anyone have a clue what causes this issue? It's been happening for a while, and it makes 3dcoat precarious to use. During the course of retopo usually but not always, the ui will start doing this, where it seems to completely fall apart, and while you might think a restart would do it, if you save then this will get baked into your save, so whenever you open it, it's doing the same thing, meaning that the project is done. This is also the case if the system happens to autosave. I have seen it pop up over and over again so I decided to bring it up here in case someone here has seen it before.

image.thumb.png.897d580ebb3cf69d186daedddcb9e6b5.png 

On 10/6/2020 at 12:54 PM, Hdharris said:

does anyone have a clue what causes this issue? It's been happening for a while, and it makes 3dcoat precarious to use. During the course of retopo usually but not always, the ui will start doing this, where it seems to completely fall apart, and while you might think a restart would do it, if you save then this will get baked into your save, so whenever you open it, it's doing the same thing, meaning that the project is done. This is also the case if the system happens to autosave. I have seen it pop up over and over again so I decided to bring it up here in case someone here has seen it before.

image.thumb.png.897d580ebb3cf69d186daedddcb9e6b5.png 

Also, this happens in both GL and DX versions of the software. I have attached a save with the bug in case that would help for analysis

UI Bug Captured.3b

Edited by Hdharris

• Reputable Contributor
33 minutes ago, Hdharris said:

Also, this happens in both GL and DX versions of the software. I have attached a save with the bug in case that would help for analysis

UI Bug Captured.3b

It would be good to send that file to support to make sure they get it.  3DC's Help menu--- send file to support.

The 3DC file does load with the glitch you mentioned.

• Advanced Member

Shading issue with UDIM textures in 4.9.65. Basically i have a char in udim setup, textures in 1001, 1002, 1003 and so on. But the AO and curvature baking in paint room didnt take in consideration for the UDIM tiles and cause baking issues.

Illustration.png

• Advanced Member

v 4.9.65 Render Room Issue - 3DC Hardware setting: GL Version

Created an object

object_vox.thumb.png.c1b8b4838a4362bb7d108d07918db412.png

Added a light

Hit Realtime Render + Screen Space + Illumination

Worked OK, then started to move light position, rotation etc then Screen filled with this green

1084988746_messedup.thumb.png.4addd0cedfcf1eb9d188bc5902518aec.png

• Reputable Contributor

I finally just got around to testing the activity bar.
when It came out I was perplexed, but now I thought I'd give it a try, to free up work space.

I haven't seen much feedback, so, here is mine :

-I'd like to decide what's in the activity bar. (for example I don't use presets, so I'd want to turn that off)

-I think it's great that the active stencil or strip show up there, highlighted... So, why is it not the same with the brush alpha ? it remains greyed, that is a shame imho. Also what if you have more than one alpha shift-selected : only one shows up in the activity bar, that's a shame.

-When you shift-select alphas, the panel remains open as long as your cursor is inside the panel, which is great. However, when you simply select one alpha, the panel vanishes right away : which is bad, what if I change my mind ? I have to click on the alphas icon again, really ?

-Why is the activity bar snapped to the right of the screen instead of directly to the right of the menus ? (that would place it almost at the middle of the screen, yes ?)

-one time I clicked on one icon, and there were folders there, I thought that was great, but ever since, I only get a dropdown menu, which is cumberrsome.
Since these panels are temporary, why not make the most of it and display folders instead of a dropdown menu ?

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1