3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
8 minutes ago, tcwik said:

It's any chance to edit freeze/mask in external software  [like photoshop]?

I know people don't like the suggestion of workarounds, but I believe there is a nice way to do this :
instead of using freeze to paint your mask initially, paint your mask with regular paint on a new layer.
you can edit this layer in external editor.
when you are done, you can right click the paint layer > freeze painted pixels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I know people don't like the suggestion of workarounds, but I believe there is a nice way to do this :
instead of using freeze to paint your mask initially, paint your mask with regular paint on a new layer.

It is simple and cool idea what I have not tried ^^  thank you.

19 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

but Yes this is  only one stabile way to doo mask right now XD

• Advanced Member

I do not remember how it worked before, but when I use png for smart material color, now it not keep alpha of the png, but color as black for transparent area

Though I can still use mask map but it make thing more difficult, when I simply hope to use color decal with transparent border.

reproduce

1. add new smart material, then import color png texture with alpha area. not use other map for the smart material.

pngcolor.thumb.JPG.a0607cf8e63614c5594cbb31b3ec00c1.JPG

2. paint it with use smart material preview., preview already show transparetn as black.

3. paint it with blush,  transparent area of png colored as black.

blackalpha.thumb.JPG.5b86423dc32647ecf151ba1656afb11c.JPG

It seem not work as same  as 3d coat you tube raining video show. ><;)  

In the video,  it use png texture for  smart material color map, then it seems keep transparent when he paint on.

• Advanced Member

Thanks I seldom use TGA, may try again. Then I really hope (and request) png will work as same as TGA (If it can keep alpha)

because if I use spline image tool, 3d coat  can keep alpha of png.  I like to edit smart material, but it little pitty if I can not use png for smart material.

And I hope smart material may offer "non Tille" option. (only stencils seems offer it) . If I use smart material for simple decal, Tille is not good. :mellow:

(I may request it in mantis) 

I test with converted TGA, but unfortunately  TGA not keep alpha for smart material , either..  (Though I can make mask texture from the png ,,do not hope to do same thing for every png)

Edited by tokikake

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, popwfx said:

@Silas Merlin Are you saying that PNGs with transparencies don't work in 3DCoat?   I haven't used TGA since 1985 and I was born in the 90s. ^_^  Does anyone use TGA that isn't in broadcast from decades ago?  Any reason PNG isn't fully supported?

Now I remember that png did work at some point, to some degree : I was making strips, and I noticed that 3dc failed to generate some channels for the strips with PNG whereas it generated all channels with TGA. That is when I started using TGA all the time with 3dc.

I do use TGA on a regular basis because it has a proper channel for alpha which doesn't require erasing the data in the RGB channels, because I do need RGB info on the whole texture. And alpha in addition as opposed to *instead of*, and it so happens that either png doesn't allow that or the software I use doesn't.

If you happen to have a prejudice against TGA there is nothing I can say to help you, you have to live with your file format bigotry or ageism and lose functionality because of it, that is all. Cheers.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

About  smart material behavor TGA or PNG seems not matter. (I still not test with Tiff but may be it not work too I suppose)

At least about current beta version,   For color map, alpha value of texture can not be shown as tansparent but colored as black.

So  to get alpha we need to make overall mask texture from original. :unknw:

• Reputable Contributor
57 minutes ago, tokikake said:

About  smart material behavor TGA or PNG seems not matter. (I still not test with Tiff but may be it not work too I suppose)

At least about current beta version,   For color map, alpha value of texture can not be shown as tansparent but colored as black.

So  to get alpha we need to make overall mask texture from original. :unknw:

testing now with Haikale's build, both png and tga work with alpha, go figure...
As for smart materials, for them to work you need to plug in the texture both in diffuse and mask othewise the rest is indeed black not transparent.

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Advanced Member

Connect same alpha include texture for color and mask can not show correctly.

It is because if we connect SRGB texture for mask, 3d coat auto change RGB value as mono (black and white) then use it as mask.

eg R 1 G1 B 0 change as 0.66 wihite.  then R1 G0 B0 will change as 0.33 white , so it show many semi- tansparent area all of material.

about alpha 0 , they simply convert as black, then it can show transparent. 

So real workflow should be, in 2d paint aprication, convert alpha layer as black and white map. then plug it in Contrast = (Overall mask texture)

At current it is only way to use PNG, TGA, Tiff texture as decal, with keep alpha for smart material.  But actually it is not good usage for smart material.

because we may hope to edit Mask with different texture, so smart material work as material generator. 

Edited by tokikake
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 10/25/2020 at 2:58 AM, Silas Merlin said:

I do use TGA on a regular basis because it has a proper channel for alpha which doesn't require erasing the data in the RGB channels, because I do need RGB info on the whole texture. And alpha in addition as opposed to *instead of*, and it so happens that either png doesn't allow that or the software I use doesn't.

If you happen to have a prejudice against TGA there is nothing I can say to help you, you have to live with your file format bigotry or ageism and lose functionality because of it, that is all. Cheers.

So my main question (despite trying to add a touch of humor which seems misheard/misplaced) was why or how exactly PNG differs from TGA from a functionality in the format  as opposed to how 3DC is using it currently, and as far as I knew, both formats have the same alpha functionality, just PNG is smaller and also lossless and more apps support the format nowadays.  So why wouldn't PNG be supported fully in 3DC by Andrew?  Or am I not understanding the problem fully?  Are you saying TGA supports an alpha per channel, while PNG only gives you 1 alpha in the whole file?  And that means TGA has more data to work with?  thanks for clarifying - I couldn't tell if the format is superior (functionality-wise) or if it was an oversight in 3DC implementation for smart materials.

Also how does EXR work for smart materials?  Is it ultimately the best format for this purpose? Thanks

I think that this version have stability problems. I never had such a lot issues working in painting room. Lot of times I need to restart app in order to function normaly. I am using app mostly to uv and paint models and always something bugs. After some time when I paint suddenly see blocky paint groups on model which are undoable (undo does not work). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Reputable Contributor

Isn't "ignore back faces" a setting of paramount importance ? Does it really have to be hidden in the strokes panel ? Shouldn't it have a place in full view, on the main ui ?

Especially because it is a setting that is not "per tool". That is, you activate it to use one tool, but then, later, when you switch tools, it remains activated.

By the way, any chance of getting it to work for the projector tool, please ?

• Contributor
On 11/2/2020 at 2:52 PM, dexsoft said:

I think that this version have stability problems. I never had such a lot issues working in painting room. Lot of times I need to restart app in order to function normaly. I am using app mostly to uv and paint models and always something bugs. After some time when I paint suddenly see blocky paint groups on model which are undoable (undo does not work). 

I hear ya.. I've found what I believe to be the culprit and submitted the bug to Andrew. I know this is certain with displacement and in terms of undoing.. sometimes it's a matter of going to the menu to undo rather than shortcut keys or just another area if there is one depending on the function. I had to abandon a lot of projects over the past year or two.. I still have them and likely can be resumed/fixed once the bug is crushed.  I think I may have broke Andrew :blink: with the bug report.. it might be a super challenge.. I haven't seen any updates for a while since.

• Advanced Member

will .65 be the last update till the 2021 is released? 

I wont be able to upgrade to 2021 version for a while so I'd like to know if this is the version I'll have to stick with.

Turkish money lost too much value against the USD while our income is almost the same so it will take some time for me to spare the upgrade amount. 

• Advanced Member

when I execute 3D-coat today, an icon changed.

probably, an image changed somewhere.

it is so cute.:rofl:

無題.png

there is an image in ToolPresets. maybe this is the cause.

but I have done nothing. why...?:unknw:

tp.png.41ab3502550935e6412235bb9881d4c6.png

Edited by jene
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 12:15 AM, Carlosan said:

Regarding the 2021 release, still working on it, so there's no fixed date yet. 
It could still take a few weeks before we can say something more precise. 

No problem, it will be ready when its ready!
I wish we got some more video sneakpeeks though :P

• Reputable Contributor

There seems to be  bugs with Symmetry. I think I saw others being mentioned but I only remember the following.

Here is one : clicking on symmetrical copy should produce a total of four copies of the object, but only two appear

see the third video for the above

In order to get it to work  (second video), I had to draw geometry accross the symmetry line and into the side I wanted copied. then ctrl-Z and then the symmetrical copy button would work :

Here is more of a visual glitch than an actual (crippling) bug
Instances with symmetry, pose tool - the display of instances does not refresh as the gizmo is being acted upon. Only when the camera moves does the view refresh :

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1