3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
24 minutes ago, Mystical said:

So filling back the paint hole on layer 0 still does not fix anything on my end, I still was unable to erase the corruption damage on the other layer so it still looked like this:

The issue on my end is that I am not seeing any corruption...
I forgot to ask what build are you on ?
4.9.68 here.
When I open the file everything is just fine except for layer 0 being partly erased (it probably happened when you were trying to fix your issue)

I really wanted to see the corrupted layer, but anyway, here is my suggestion to fix it on your end while keeping the painting :
-hide all other layers including layer 0
-export color+alpha, normal map, roughness, metal
-delete corrupted layer
-import the maps you exported and merge them into a single layer.

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Advanced Member

That is odd the file I sent doesn't have the corrupted layer.

For testing purposes I did reapply unwrap and it seems to remove all my normal map data from every layer (color and gloss retains though). The corruption unfortunately still retains as well on that corrupted layer for my real scene. The test file I sent however the issue does 'fix' itself after I saved and reopened the file when repainting the layer 0 to be fully filled again with the grey color. However trying to replicate the same thing in my real scene the corruption retains itself.

Also for exporting layers from my real scene, the normal map corruption is applied to the file itself as well, I upgraded to 4.9.68.

I think I'm just going to cut my losses and accept that small section will have a weird spot on it, its very small and thankfully for what I'm using the model for it would be hard to see, just annoying to have a layer seem to be permanently damaged. I've never seen an error like this occur before and hopefully never see it again.

• Reputable Contributor
16 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Also for exporting layers from my real scene, the normal map corruption is applied to the file itself

Yes and no.
That is :
-your layer is corrupted
-you export maps with Fire > export objects and textues
- > the corruption appears on the maps, yes, but they are not "corrupt", only the layer is. This means that when you import the maps and merge them to a single layer, the new layer won't be corrupt. do you follow ? Yes, it will show the corruption, but now you will be able to erase it and paint over flawlessly, because the new layer is pristine.

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Yes and no.
That is :
-your layer is corrupted
-you export maps with Fire > export objects and textues
- > the corruption appears on the maps, yes, but they are not "corrupt", only the layer is. This means that when you import the maps and merge them to a single layer, the new layer won't be corrupt. do you follow ? Yes, it will show the corruption, but now you will be able to erase it and paint over flawlessly, because the new layer is pristine.

Thanks that is indeed a workaround solution. Since its not the same corrupted layer I can finally erase that junk and repair that small section.

In the future if layer 0 being partially erased was the culprit I'll just make sure the layer is locked from now on. I usually save often and in-between big changes but didn't think being able to not erase normal map data would ever be possible but now I know 3d coat can break that way so to look out for it and not save the file if I see that occur again. Carlosan also being able to get a strip to be corrupted until unwrapping the model is worrying too. You could be 90% done through a perfectly fine model and if the only solution is to start over/re-unwrap that doesn't sound good.

• Reputable Contributor
22 minutes ago, Mystical said:

You could be 90% done through a perfectly fine model and if the only solution is to start over/re-unwrap that doesn't sound good.

Always save incrementally (CTRL+SHIFT+S) throughout the project.
(Do this every time you are going to perform an action that you think might cause an issue or a crash, based on your past experience with 3dc)
Do not delete the incremental saves until the end or until you have taken the time to check if everything is in order.
Do not delete the next-to-last incremental save until you have checked that you can reopen the last one.

• Like 1

• Contributor
20 hours ago, Mystical said:

Has anyone ever run across a problem where painting with a strip causes permanent damage to a layer? When I mean permanent I mean it literally has created destruction on my layer which cannot be erased or painted over. I was simply painting with a strip brush alongside a mesh and then did undo when I didn't like the result and this occurred:

image.thumb.png.42e6aeaaac0a1e6e2f61bcf36a2b5ec5.png

In 2d mode with normals toggled you can clearly see the damage:

image.png.57287dd9daf0500fc289c242d31ac8e7.png

Now I now what you are thinking "just use erase tool and make sure normals is toggled and set to 100%. Tried it, won't erase. Its clearly destroyed this layer becasue if I turn the layer off everything is fine but this layer seems permanently damaged. I can't even paint new normal map detail over this 'black hole' section. Even worse restarting 3D Coat(v4.9.65) its still retained so its not just some temporary memory issue that cleans itself up on program restart. Even exporting the normal map texture the corruption is still visible. I've even tried duplicating the layer to see if a duplicated one loses the corruption but it still persists. I don't think there is a way I can transfer over all the paint data I did and just exclude that area so the layer will have that small corruption on it forever.

I've seen weird artifacts when painting normal data occur but it was always able to be erased, I've never encountered something that looked like this ever before ...

Yes, it effects displacement too. There are several of us now that have brought it up to Andrew in various ways but for weeks now he doesn't address the issue and I think it's safe to say that this problem will exist in the 2021 version unless he does something about it now but at this time it looks like all support for 4.9 has ceased unless he's just in a rush trying to get 2021 version available. Many projects DEAD because of sudden paint glitches. From my experience , 3DCoat brush isn't error free on topology with a zigzag.  Until this mess gets fixed I wont be upgrading and may instead go to Marmoset or Substance painter.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Mystical said:

Thanks that is indeed a workaround solution. Since its not the same corrupted layer I can finally erase that junk and repair that small section.

In the future if layer 0 being partially erased was the culprit I'll just make sure the layer is locked from now on. I usually save often and in-between big changes but didn't think being able to not erase normal map data would ever be possible but now I know 3d coat can break that way so to look out for it and not save the file if I see that occur again. Carlosan also being able to get a strip to be corrupted until unwrapping the model is worrying too. You could be 90% done through a perfectly fine model and if the only solution is to start over/re-unwrap that doesn't sound good.

I agree and request 3d coat team keep lock the 0 layer as default, (only offer to show newtral color, normal, and alpha 1.0)  then user may add new base layer, and hide layer 0 when we need to check alpha etc) . a few years ago, I heard the layer 0 will be locked in another layer 0 related topic . but the plan seems forgotten:mellow:

Never do any work on Layer "0". It is reserved for 3DC use only for operations with textures. 

It would be good not to depend on Layer0 to handle transparencies and that it remains directly hidden.

A layer and mask system that works the same as Photoshop has long been in the todolist. 

Using 4.9.68 on Mac there is a bug with the "Add Cone" in the sculpt room, when adding a cone to a surface voxlayer, if the cone has a filet defined, then after a while of resizing the cone and adjusting the fillet, the fillet will no longer be honored.

I was using the cone/w fillet to make teeth and after making about 5 or 6 teeth it looses the fillet setting, but can be reset with "Reset scale". 

• Advanced Member
On 2/9/2021 at 11:57 AM, Mystical said:

Sorry for intruding on this thread - but can someone please explain how these tiny little holes appear in the first place?  Is it accidental erasure on layer 0 with the eraser tool?  I've seen these before, but in general I've been able to paint over them on other higher layers.  While you're at it, I thought Layer 0 (in Paint Room) was just a convenience/grey layer to be able to see the object - does Layer 0 have any importance?  I mean assuming I fully fill another layer (or even if I don't if I want transparency) then it doesn't matter if Layer 0 is messed up or even deleted, assuming the object looks fine with all the other layers?   I mean there's no like significant vertex map data that has to be there on Layer 0 is there?    And are these holes you experience related to this issue?

Thanks for explaining -  you could clear up a potential fundamental 3DC tidbit for me if I've got it all wrong.

• Advanced Member
On 2/10/2021 at 6:15 AM, Carlosan said:

Never do any work on Layer "0". It is reserved for 3DC use only for operations with textures. 

It would be good not to depend on Layer0 to handle transparencies and that it remains directly hidden.

A layer and mask system that works the same as Photoshop has long been in the todolist. 

So should I always lock Layer 0?  Can it be hidden? 

I also don't touch Curvature or AO layers that get created by using some Smart Materials - I don't fully get where those layers need to be in the layer stack either - it puts them at the top and then where should new layers i add after that go? Above or below those special layers?

it would be great if these system/special layers are visually different/colored and potentially locked with tooltips explaining what they are and how to use them or how not to use them.... They are a source of confusion for me.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, popwfx said:

Sorry for intruding on this thread - but can someone please explain how these tiny little holes appear in the first place?  Is it accidental erasure on layer 0 with the eraser tool?  I've seen these before, but in general I've been able to paint over them on other higher layers.  While you're at it, I thought Layer 0 (in Paint Room) was just a convenience/grey layer to be able to see the object - does Layer 0 have any importance?  I mean assuming I fully fill another layer (or even if I don't if I want transparency) then it doesn't matter if Layer 0 is messed up or even deleted, assuming the object looks fine with all the other layers?   I mean there's no like significant vertex map data that has to be there on Layer 0 is there?    And are these holes you experience related to this issue?

Thanks for explaining -  you could clear up a potential fundamental 3DC tidbit for me if I've got it all wrong.

For me the normal map corruption occurred when I was painting with a strip on the side of my mesh on a different layer. I think the eraser bit I had done to layer 0 was after the corruption occurred.

Thanks to the advice of Silas Merlin I repaired my layer by exporting all the texture maps for that layer then re-importing and being able to finally erase the weird normal map issues afterwards. It still is quite a lot of work to fix the corruption I feel shouldn't ever get that bad though. Hopefully the new 3D Coat 2021 version doesn't have this issue or if it does it gets fixed as a priority concern.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, celer said:

Using 4.9.68 on Mac there is a bug with the "Add Cone" in the sculpt room, when adding a cone to a surface voxlayer, if the cone has a filet defined, then after a while of resizing the cone and adjusting the fillet, the fillet will no longer be honored.

I was using the cone/w fillet to make teeth and after making about 5 or 6 teeth it looses the fillet setting, but can be reset with "Reset scale". 

Ok, it appears that the issue can be reproduced by creating a cone in a surface layer and then scaling it and adjusting the fillet, a couple of times and then undoing. It appears the action of undoing causes the fillet settings to no longer be honored.

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin thank you for the update! has a fix for painting smart materials using depth in PPP mode been resolved as well? This is that "Extreme UV sphere"  I've shared that works no problem in Zbrush. The black spike coming out in this case is not from multiple of UVs but more so it looks like it is from a sudden T shape split rather than from a smooth S shape otherwise all the UVs would be effected.  This same thing has happened on Reallusion's CC3+ Characters that are actually designed for displacement (I've shared to you on the forum inbox)  and spikes arise due to hard edge topology. A Z shape or L seems to be too hard for 3DCoat, smooth contours is only what 3DCoat is currently compatible with. If you search my postings of characters having displacement spikes you will confirm that it's the topology creating the  sudden artifact. This spike is not a glitch of 3DCoat's viewport.. I've exported models and have seen the same artifacts in other programs -Marmoset Toolbag & iClone.

image.png

image.png

• Advanced Member
38 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi 

I am testing that version, is working fine from my side, sorry

image_2021-03-17_180852.png

OK i think i understand why i was using it with the lasso stroke options and steady stroke is not working with all stroke modes and i just realize this after 1 year my bad!

• Haha 1