3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

6 hours ago, lesaint said:

having a 7 million tris sculpt on a vox layer in voxel mode and calling the light baking tool from the paint room makes me crash on 4.9.01SL both DX and GL

Turning the mesh to surface mode before calling the light baking tool prevents the crash.

....yes Occlusion Baking and Curvature are meant for both Paint and Sculpt Objects, but I don't think the developer of the Light Baking tools ever envisioned it would be used on a dense sculpt model.

23 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

To be honest, I don't think that was the use case for which it was designed. Light Baking is usually for low poly PAINT OBJECTS, meaning it's for low poly GAME assets, not high poly sculpting objects. 

Fact is it worked fine until 4.8.42

Since sculpt layers, I always paint the high poly.
It saves a lot of trouble. You don't have to worry about seams, and most of all, if you make a mistake on the retopo mesh or uv, but discover it much later while painting the low poly, it is always a hassle to repair without losing the painting. It often means starting over, unless you are happy with a dirty repair in the tweak room.

Anyway, here is a use case : You want to hand paint your object.
My method is this : Bake light on the high poly. maybe also bake occlusion with sphere+hemisphere.
Create a fill layer with a solid colour on a layer at the bottom of the stack.
Switch to flat shading
Paint on a layer on top of the stack with the help of the light baking information.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Fact is it worked fine until 4.8.42

Since sculpt layers, I always paint the high poly.
It saves a lot of trouble. You don't have to worry about seams, and most of all, if you make a mistake on the retopo mesh or uv, but discover it much later while painting the low poly, it is always a hassle to repair without losing the painting. It often means starting over, unless you are happy with a dirty repair in the tweak room.

Anyway, here is a use case : You want to hand paint your object.
My method is this : Bake light on the high poly. maybe also bake occlusion with sphere+hemisphere.
Create a fill layer with a solid colour on a layer at the bottom of the stack.
Switch to flat shading
Paint on a layer on top of the stack with the help of the light baking information.

Interesting. I never imagined it used that way. Mainly just for Gaming Assets.

Well, the light baking tool isn't good enough for what it's intended for, imho.
It doesn't bake reflections. You need Substance painter for that. That's the only thing I use Substance for, actually. i.e. Light baking with environement.

However, used the way I described, it is perfect, as a base for hand painting. It brings out the sculpted details and gives shadows so that you can see the actual shapes while being in flat shading mode.

Thanks so much for this. I've never been so excited by the release of a new 3D Coat update. It's getting some good positive press too, which is richly deserved.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/07/pilgway-releases-3d-coat-4-9/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cgchannel%2FnHpU+(CG+Channel+-+Entertainment+Production+Art)

And is THIS ever some good news. 

"Holes in geometry are now automatically closed before voxelisation, and the closure operation is described as being “much more stable and powerful”.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

Another possible bug. When in select mode in retopo room, set to faces, and then press delete to get rid of faces, it flicks to edges mode. wasn't doing this ever before.

6 minutes ago, Lizbot said:

Another possible bug. When in select mode in retopo room, set to faces, and then press delete to get rid of faces, it flicks to edges mode. wasn't doing this ever before.

That's actually a new feature, it's listed in the notes.
it selects all the edges bordering the cut

It used to select random faces accross the mesh instead.

Edit : it was introduced in 4.8.44

20.07.2019 4.8.44

- Deleting selected faces in retopo room leads to boundary edges selection.

Edited by lesaint

Just now, lesaint said:

That's actually a new feature, it's listed in the notes.
it selects all the edges bordering the cut

It used to select random faces accross the mesh instead.

how do i turn it off.

7 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Is that happening when you check the IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS option in the Import Dialog?

Yes. When I leave the "IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS" tick off, it imports fine with existing uv's, but then you only have one UV set....which is a problem.
My model has 19 uv tiles, so it is a problem.

The only workaround my good friend Tim found, was the following.
1. Import the fbx or obj into the retopo room.
2. Create all the new UDIM sets that is needed. (1001,1002,1003...ext)
3. Use the Retopo Objects layers one at a time to move them to the newly created sets by quick selecting with "Select all faces of this layer"
4. Bake to paintroom
5. Be happy. :)

Edited by Werner_Z

8 minutes ago, Werner_Z said:

Yes. When I leave the "IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS" tick off, it imports fine with existing uv's, but then you only have one UV set....which is a problem.

3. Use the Retopo Objects layers one at a time to move them to the newly created sets by quick selecting with "Select all faces of this layer"
4. Bake to paintroom

Please make sure to send this issue to Andrew (support@3dcoat.com) so he can get on it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werner_Z said:

4. Bake to paintroom

I have not installed new 4.9 version (suprised thanks!!,) so if udim import not work any-more,, I really hope up-date ^^;

but just test with 4.8.44 SL GL (windows 10) with paint room,, and UDIM mesh (1001 to 1008) import (FBX),  it work as same as before. 

with "IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS" (ON) , but not use "Treat materials as separate texture"

I set import dialogue option, like this.

importsetting.thumb.JPG.276d211cda74459c55d428c3c16dd617.JPG

then it can load UDIM tiles as separate UV sets.  (though all material name change as UDIM tile name,  it is how 3d coat work)

UDIMimproted.thumb.JPG.00598f28276aef08c2218cd036c2b9bd.JPG

Then,, before I could adjust each UVtile with old versions,, (can adjust each UV set texture size in import dialogue I believe. .  eg 1024 or 2048 , for each UDIM tile.

but current import dialogue only show one UV set as  uvset name,  with this setting I feel.  then not up-date them,  even though I change options.(so it not clear show each UV tile name )

before, ,it showed 1001 , 1002, 1003,,, each tile name and can change resolution separately,, is not it?

Though I can still use Edit>mesh and texture resolution menu. then can manage them,. (so it is not heavy issue,,)

Anyway  I may test with  4.9 then report again. (a little bit scared,,)    manage UDIM (and material group) is important future for me too.

I only download 4.9.01 SL version, then do same thing, (use same FBX with UDIM) , it could load as separate UV sets (1001 to 1008 UV tiles)

so I afraid you may need to offer FBX which cause issue, to re-produce bug .(I know there are many case which depend on each user setting when report problems)

and thanks 3d coat team, you keep up-date often without any addotional payi :) 

I do not hesitate to buy again, if there will be  5.0  in this year. 3d coat price is reasoanble for me.. (it is only my view ,,)

Are exporting fbx as ascii not binary, right ?

Hey everyone,

I haven't used much 3D-Coat 4.9 yet, but it seems that this version has many bugs or issues.

Is it my impression or is the 3d-coat 4.8.44 SL version more stable than 3d-coat 4.9.01 SL?

I am a little afraid to use 3d-coat 4.9.01 SL in my project that I am sculpting for 3d printing.

So far, do you think 3d-coat 4.9.01 SL is better than version 4.8.44 SL?

in 4.9.01SL I can't assign keys in the customize navigation window by clicking on the Assign Keys button.
The text that tells you to press key combinations appears and just remains there, nothing happens whatever I press.

I can still assign hotkeys elsewhere by using the end key.

Anyone has the same problem ?

Hi everybody in the 3dcoat-team and congrats to the new release. Everything but one thing works fine here. The 'one thing' is the blob-command.

It does not do anything at least on my machine. I test-started with a simple sphere and developed an object, then copied the layer and merged them after

changing the position of the new object. I occurs to me, that this is may well be a 'twisted normal-bug'. 

I'm on Win 10 pro 64 bit, running the OpenGL-Version of 4.9.1. With the predecessor the 'blob-command' worked fine. Can you please have a look?

Thanks for this piece of art (3d-coat) anyway !    

Best Regards from Germany,  Klaus

26.07.2019 4.9.02

- Retopo commands like shell/extrude/etc... will not follow mouse movements, all extrusions will be commited only with the gizmo manipulations.
- Navigation keys assignment fixed.
- Painted metallicity is not destroyed by cutoff.
- Fixed different problems related to attached smart materials.
- Essentially faster switching between smart materials.
- CTRL in paint mode works like eraser if smart material enabled.
- better quality of brushing along drawn curve (especially if curve has not much points).
- Removed duplicate messages about layers locking

• Like 3

26.07.2019 4.9.02 :

4 hours ago, geoath said:

26.07.2019 4.9.02 :

So... how are you supposed to paint cracks and such now ?

Well, this is a good question!

I think everyone has in mind that CTRL is used for  "inverse" sculpting/painting , so I can't understand why change such a thing...

First of all, I find that this approach  breaks the consistence between sculpting and painting, which is not so wise, unless there is a good reason (always personal opinion).

Personally I haven't installed 4.9.02 yet, so I don't know which is the equivalent for CTRL  in paint mode.