3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

As i know was solve on latest version... isnt it ?

28.11.2019 4.9.12[stable]

- Drag&drop models/items for pens/strips/models/splines restored

Hi,  I installed Beta 12 BF4 and it is now working!  But the version number at the top line of the 3d coat window still says 12 ? Should it  say 12 bf4? Or is that what it is supposed to say ?

• Like 1

Been having fun testing all the betas. Noticed the line-type stroke modes are actively re-applied when moving the mouse after making the first stroke. (make a line stroke, then move the mouse as you go to make another, you can see the frame rate drop as it continually re-evaluates the first stroke )
----------
I have started in the Retopo room on occasion to do rough polygonal modeling. I then use Import in the sculpt room to pull the mesh in and get a nice subdivision surface to work on. I think that's really cool and would do that more often except I can't "preview" the subdivision surface as I'm working in the retopo room. If some sort of "subdivision preview" was added to the retopo room, people could totally use 3dcoat as it stands for polygonal modeling.
----------
These are some suggestions after thinking about some of the vox sculpt tools. Maybe a bad idea I don't know. Here are the behaviors of 4 similar tools in Vox Sculpt mode using "On-Plane"
If we are using something like "Point and Forward Direction" to set the plane and we consider actions along the plane normal moving towards the camera as "Facing" and the opposite direction as "Away" (see attached image), here are what the tools do:

TOOL       ||   DEFAULT ACTION   |   INVERSE ACTION      |  BRUSH STROKES   |  LASSO STROKES
....................................................................................................................................................................................
Plane        ||   Removes Facing        |   Adds Away              |  Yes                            |  missing in 4.9
2D-Paint   ||   Adds Facing               |   Removes Away       |  Yes                            |  missing in 4.9
Sphere      ||   Adds Facing               |   Removes Facing    |  Yes                             |  Yes
Blob          ||   Adds Facing                |   Adds Facing           |  No                              |  Yes

Given this data we know:
- We don't need Blob if we have Sphere.
- Plane can do everything 2D-Paint can do, it just does it in the opposite direction. 

Suggested simplifications:
-  Merge 2D-Paint and Plane as one tool ("Planar"?) and add a "Flip Plane Normal" toggle to the on-plane tool options dialogue. And add lasso modes :)
- Depreciate Blob in exchange for Sphere

normals.png

@Andrew Shpagin @carrots  Before moving onto any new features could you please update the Texture Baker Tool?  I'd like to be able to bake out several projects each additionally needing the AO, metal, roughness and displacement.. the EXR Grey Based is the export constructor version that doesn't work for iClone,  - produces too strong displacement.. I hope at least a dropdown is added so we can just select the type and method (export constructor and no export Constructor) then the format and type. 

Edited by Ascensi

I have lot of problems with newest release 4.9.12 (GL64) . It hangs and crashes a lot. It crashes when calculating curvature in paint room and many other things just crashing program. What I should try to fix those.. any idea?

1 hour ago, Rela-x said:

I have lot of problems with newest release 4.9.12 (GL64) . It hangs and crashes a lot. It crashes when calculating curvature in paint room and many other things just crashing program. What I should try to fix those.. any idea?

Is it crashing with one particular file, and not others? Sometimes there can be a problem with the mesh or UV's you don't see. The best way to eliminate that as a possibility is to test a scene from the Splash Screen. If it's still behaving the same way with one of those, then it's likely some kind of bug. However, sometimes it's a driver, either your graphics card or wacom tablet.

Try closing the app > delete the OPTIONS.XML file from the "MyDocs/3DCoat 4.9" directory (as it can get corrupted once in a while and exhibit bug like behavior) > re-install the build > update your graphic card and wacom drivers, if they aren't already > Open the app and test a scene/model from the splash screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rela-x said:

...oh, and try the DX version, instead of the GL. I find it to be more stable than GL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

...oh, and try the DX version, instead of the GL. I find it to be more stable than GL.

Thank you :) I'll try those things :) 

10 hours ago, Rela-x said:

Increase your virtual memory to 25 GB or so.. also try disabling and layers like AO that the curvature doesn't need when calculating.. when I deal with big projects sometimes I have to disable the painted layer to generate an AO layer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rela-x said:

Thank you :) I'll try those things :) 

Still crashing, but works better I think. Trying to figure out what's wrong in my system. Last stable build for my computer seems to be 4.9.05

Also wondering how to fix shading in render room. :blush:

shading.jpg.5b4f3809871e31565395fe992740ac82.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, This problem persists still: When using Old School Paint, the color doesn't appear AT ALL, but when going over the same region with a different material the color will then appear around the edges of the stroke. I can't be the only one experiencing this, can I?

I've deleted everything and started over with a new install and no change, btw

image.png.b9c897042fe7cd2ecaa780bbbc4e4cc2.png

Edited by Hdharris

Found another critical crash that repros 100% in latest build:

1) Create a new paint uv mapped mesh (per pixel) scene

2) Choose any of the default models (or your own) and set the texture width and height to anything other than a square uv (for example 4096x2048)

3) Attempt to calculate curvature OR occlusion.

The program will crash in the middle of calculation without fail every time from what I have seen so far. I have to have the texture width and height the same exact dimension to avoid the crash.

On a side note, if you have a model with different UV dimensions for width and height in the 2d paint window your brush circle will be very skewed too.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, Rela-x said:

....Also wondering how to fix shading in render room. :blush:

shading.jpg.5b4f3809871e31565395fe992740ac82.jpg

I have the same shading problem in render room. Every time  faceted renders, even though in paint room the object looks smooth. This happens with objects I retopo inside 3DCoat (haven't noticed something with objects I import in paint room for pixel paint and then render). If you'll find a solution please share.. (latest build)

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 10:11 AM, Mystical said:

Found another critical crash that repros 100% in latest build:

1) Create a new paint uv mapped mesh (per pixel) scene

2) Choose any of the default models (or your own) and set the texture width and height to anything other than a square uv (for example 4096x2048)

3) Attempt to calculate curvature OR occlusion.

The program will crash in the middle of calculation without fail every time from what I have seen so far. I have to have the texture width and height the same exact dimension to avoid the crash.

On a side note, if you have a model with different UV dimensions for width and height in the 2d paint window your brush circle will be very skewed too.

It's a mess..it will specifically crash on using anti-aliasing at 4096 or higher as well on 8-16k projects.

• Like 1

8.12.2019 4.9.14 (stable)

- Fixed crash during curvature calculations for non-square texture.

- The selection bar to indicate the current element in different items lists.

- Invert selected in retopo streamlined. Separate buttons to invert all selected and invert selected in the current group. Invert selected in the current group does not touch selected in other groups.

- Primitives history window fixed.

- Bend/Twist/Warp tools introduced in voxels/surface. All of them compatible with sculpting layers, all changes will be gathered into sculpt layers.

- Stability fixed using automated bug reports.

• Like 5

On 12/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, Hdharris said:

Hi, This problem persists still: When using Old School Paint, the color doesn't appear AT ALL, but when going over the same region with a different material the color will then appear around the edges of the stroke. I can't be the only one experiencing this, can I?

I've deleted everything and started over with a new install and no change, btw

image.png.b9c897042fe7cd2ecaa780bbbc4e4cc2.png

What is "Old School Paint"?

16 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

What is "Old School Paint"?

I believe it is one of the default smart materials in the default folder, (but it might have been removed in recent builds ? then you'd only have it if you kept it from old buids)

image.png.8d9b28bfc3123c79161363d79ac0ed46.png

Edited by lesaint

Probably a BUG

1) Bake any mesh from Retopo room to the Paint room (with or without the normal map)

2) Right-click on an empty layer and choose Fill Entire Layer -> crash

Tested in 4.9.14 and 4.9.12BF4 on two computers

4.9.05 - ok

Edited by druh0o

On 12/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, lesaint said:

I believe it is one of the default smart materials in the default folder, (but it might have been removed in recent builds ? then you'd only have it if you kept it from old buids)

image.png.8d9b28bfc3123c79161363d79ac0ed46.png

yes this exactly, it's one of the default materials

15 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

On my side it works. Please provide steps.

So I kept trying, since you said it works. and it does, sort of.
That is, if I keep pressing the hotkey, it eventually picks the colour. Never on first attempt.
If I pick anywhere else, like in the background, or on on another software, it picks on first try.

Steps to reproduce, simply turn sculpt mesh to surface mode, go to paint room, start painting and try to pick color.

For further clarification:

this is happening with '0_oldschool_paint'

a stroke with a normal pbr material causes no issues, but using this one causes the brush to behave strangely and not express the color channel. (the depth channel behaves oddly, but the spec channel works fine) when going over the same area as when using oldschool, the pbr stroke will appear, and it will be surrounded by the color that didn't appear before, as if the two are blending together, shown inside the red rectangle below.

it has persisted in all editions beyond 4.9.5 as far as I can tell

image.thumb.png.b3a9db135131750e03907302641530dc.png

22 hours ago, lewis2e said:

When I adjust the light intensity with this control, it doesn't seem to affect the mesh.

I can see that it affects the background, but the lighting on the mesh remains the same intensity.

I have isolated the problem.

This is an issue for me with the GL version of 3D Coat only. If I use the DX version, it works as expected.

image.png.e256a87df1917426ff6976b9bdf47e25.png

Confirmed using GL version on Windows too.

//edit

* Solved on 4.9.14

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Here is a video showing the issue.

If it makes any difference, I am using 3D Coat on Linux via Wine, but it sounds like it could be a general issue.