3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

Painting Stencils

From camera

Switch Tiling on/off 

Pic center translated outside Gizmo center

Out of center.jpg

In the smart materials within PPP mode, any added layers above the base layer seem to add to displacement and bump.. I keep having to to paint with the base color and then turn on additional layers in the ao and disable the global depth layer so it doesn't paint depth over the depth added by the base color layer.

Currently using DX version.

@Andrew Shpagin I noticed 4.9.14 grey normalized and zero level is grey, normalized output results have been switched since  4.9.12  I'm going to assume that you've investigated the output profiles and are now producing the correct output?  if not they are now reversed  - grey based, not normalized is now the high contrast and the zero level level is grey is now the softer one... They both work, even the high contrast one is no longer producing artifacts/spikes along the seams although since the switch the softer output is more compatible with iclone.

Paint Room

Seams show padding error (switching padding options in Preferences = same error)

Padding.jpg

Seams.jpg

7 hours ago, Dmitry Bedrik said:

I am happy with the new version. Thanks. Please stop testing raw versions on users. It does not cause anything other than negativity. 

It's up to you to download the beta version or not. You don't have to help if you don't want to.

• Like 6

12.12.2019 4.9.15 (stable)

- Bend/Warp tools are creating new layer with bending result if baking to layers enabled.

- Much faster turning to proxy for huge scenes.

- Fixed several issues related to the smart materials painting - attached materials/painting materials in UV window etc.

- Fixed crash in "Fill entire layer" and other similar. This is important stability fix.

- Fixed crash in occlusion calculation for non-square textures.

• Like 5

* Stencil still is out of center

Out of center.jpg

Lag scrolling up/down Panels

- Test

Open File > Create Extension

Begin to scroll down using the mouse wheel, several lag occurs.

Hey guys,

I created a smart material and on the roughness slot, I put in a glossiness texture, then invert it to get a roughness result.  However, it doesn't paint anything in the roughness channel when inverted.  I think it is a bug.  Using the 3D-Coat 4.9.15 

glossy-invert.PNG

glossy.PNG

The second time in a row, all objects (layers) in the scene are deleted from me. This happens under unclear circumstances. Once I wanted to delete one layer, it was not deleted, I clicked on the trash icon several times, and as a result all my ~ 60 layers were destroyed. Now I just clicked the button a step back and got the same result above. 

1 hour ago, Dmitry Bedrik said:

The second time in a row, all objects (layers) in the scene are deleted from me. This happens under unclear circumstances. Once I wanted to delete one layer, it was not deleted, I clicked on the trash icon several times, and as a result all my ~ 60 layers were destroyed. Now I just clicked the button a step back and got the same result above. 

did you at least retrieve your file from saved copy, or autosave ?

If not you can still get it from autosave it is probably not too late. if you wait it will be too late.

Edited by lesaint

8 hours ago, Dmitry Bedrik said:

Similar case happens to me.  Occasionally  undoing deletes some of the voxel layers.

14 minutes ago, animk said:

Similar case happens to me.  Occasionally  undoing deletes some of the voxel layers.

Do you mean it deletes your actual layers, or it destroys the voxels inside the layers (which is something different) ?

21 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Do you mean it deletes your actual layers, or it destroys the voxels inside the layers (which is something different) ?

It deletes the actual layers.

switched from 4.8.20 to 4.9.15 & having a lot of issues, the main one is:

3D Coat just goes unresponsive and locks up. It should not take this long to save (it never finishes after waiting 30 minutes), so I keep losing work. Scene is 1 voxel layer, low complexity (about 1 million triangles)

Even opening the file with no changes and saving causes it to lock up.

Opening the same file in 4.8.20 and saving has no issues, takes less than 2 seconds to save.

What is the stable version of 4.9 ? or is 4.9 not stable yet. The downloads listed 4.9.15 as non-beta.

Edited by XRA
clarification

13 hours ago, XRA said:

switched from 4.8.20 to 4.9.15 & having a lot of issues, the main one is:

3D Coat just goes unresponsive and locks up. It should not take this long to save (it never finishes after waiting 30 minutes), so I keep losing work. Scene is 1 voxel layer, low complexity (about 1 million triangles)

Even opening the file with no changes and saving causes it to lock up.

Opening the same file in 4.8.20 and saving has no issues, takes less than 2 seconds to save.

What is the stable version of 4.9 ? or is 4.9 not stable yet. The downloads listed 4.9.15 as non-beta.

I keep ending up back at 4.9.02 which works  really good for me.( I think this version was before the new interface was introduced.......not keen, prefer the old but I will eventually get used to it ) I try every other beta that comes out, but there always seems to be some little niggle that sends me running back to .02. But all I really do is sculpt and vertex paint, I dont really do any of that there fancy stuff.

I don't know if its a bug that has been reported already, but I've been aware of it since 4.9 at least.
The problem is that after painting a material, it seems like there are issues with the "transparency" when you try to smooth it. It will smooth color, normals and metalness/roughness/glossiness/specular, but not the transparency somehow...? It is very obvious when materials are using Condition mask texture options like Concave, convex... , so I'm attaching a video which makes it way clearer.

https://streamable.com/h3qpa

Maybe am I doing something wrong that makes that happen?

hey!

as a hand painted texture artist, i've been stuck with 4.8.03 for a long time now since there is always some weird issue with new versions :/ 
I'd like to ask two questions and would like to know the answer if possible: 

- is it intentional/or if not is it known that color picker doesn't work from the model in paint room any more? only from ref image and it's working perfectly in the old version. this is a really important and essencial feature for color blending in textures! 

- is there any comfortable way of transfering your brushes with brush settings and everything (maybe already organized too) into your newer version of Coat and I just don't know about it? 

3 hours ago, tsabszy said:

- is it intentional/or if not is it known that color picker doesn't work from the model in paint room any more? only from ref image and it's working perfectly in the old version. this is a really important and essencial feature for color blending in textures! 

I had no issues with color picker in 4.9.05 or 4.9.15. It's working - picking color from the model.

3 hours ago, tsabszy said:

- is there any comfortable way of transfering your brushes with brush settings and everything (maybe already organized too) into your newer version of Coat and I just don't know about it?

Using the Presets window for brushes.
Also you can move everything from you "3D-CoatV48" content folder in your \Documents\  folder to the other place, let's say  D:\3D-Coat-Stuff and create a new environment variable with the name COAT_FILES_PATH and value D:\3D-Coat-Stuff. After that the newer version of Coat will (hopefully) auto-load everything from your older version.

But it was told that for pure diffuse-only handpainted texturing it's preferable to use pre-PBR version of Coat, before v4.5. Something like 4.1 - 4.1.17D, i think. There was some change in the brush engine, as i remember.

Edited by druh0o

21.12.2019 4.9.16 (stable)

- Correct job of Vertex lines/Vertex curves in Voxel mode.

- "Create extension" dialog improved to be easily usable.

- Much faster curvature smoothing in curvature calculation dialog. It allows getting wider curvature "tale" and better quality of edges texturing with smart materials.

- The curvature calculation method (optional) that is less sensitive to padding quality and islands intersections. But less precise if normalmap used.

- Problem of baking with multiple UV sets solved.

- Fixed lags during scrolling

- reported stability issues fixed.

• Like 3

I was testing Sculpt Room, more precisely in Surface Room mode...
And I would like to know if it is normal when you use the VOXTREE button to subdivide the mesh and from the third time pressing Subdivide, 3D-Coat starts entering the
Not Responding state and then there is a long (eternal) delay in completing the subdivide command?

I know that the command causes a multiplication by 4 in the amount of mesh polygons.
And when 3D-Coat has about 2 million polygons, the subdivision process gets slower and slower until it reaches the point of the program no longer leaving "NOT RESPONDING..."

I tried to split a mesh that has 8.6 million polygons and 3D-Coat no longer comes out of the Not Responding message. (Keeps calculating forever).

I had to close 3D-Coat.
I am using a Ryzen 3900X with 128GB of RAM. I think there is no problem in hardware!

image.thumb.png.222a509ed1fce0a5799dcab47bf2e00b.png