3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

5 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Thanks for reporting, fixed most of..., but freeze not reproduced. Could be good to get example scene to andrewshpaging@gmail.com

Thanks.
email sent.
I could post the file here too for others to try to reproduce, it's a cc-by mesh from web.

Additional small problems, still 4.9.39 :

-------

Shift+LMB no longer smoothes the mesh with Move tool.

-------

Retopo room :
Uv tools
Once a preview of a newly created island exists, moving the vertices (holding RMB) does not result in a new updated preview (you have to delete a seam and then add it again to get a new preview)

h

On 4/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, Carlosan said:

Vertex colours are tremendously useful in game engines. We use them for all sorts of data. What specifically they’re used for will depend on the game engine and the shader on the object.

At the most basic level, they can be used to tint objects so you don’t need multiple textures for different colours. This is also why they were originally used to hold lighting values. Baked lighting per vertex is very very cheap, albeit low res.

They can be used to blend textures for terrains. Especially useful here as textures will need to tile over large areas, but not look tiley. You can use a huge mask texture, but vertex colours are much cheaper and you don’t need to set up a second Uv channel with all unique uvs.

They can even hold values for things like how much to move if an object is dynamic cloth, or be affected by wind, like trees swaying.

If you think of them as four values per vertex (RGB and alpha), there’s all sorts of things you can use them for.

So 3D coat is bringing multi material painting using vertex colors.

Let's do a reverse usage on painted model below

From a model painted with a material doing erosion and scrathes, could 3D be able to extract the tiling textures and correct Vertex paitning values ?

- blue metal paint tiling texture

- erosion metal tiling texture

- vertex colour map

Similar to some Substance Designer materials, this would decrease a lot textures size as instead of 4K texture painting and baking, we could use two small tiling textures and a vertex color map for that model.

3-Dcoat-Baking.png

Edited by Ratchet

Any Smart Material filled on the model shows cuts at the seams.

Any1 ? Thx

Broke1.jpg

broke2.jpg

@Carlosan I get this : when trying to fill.
some areas are not painted at all.

This is right after baking with normal map on  4.9.42 :
-I select layer 1 (layer 0 is selected by default after bake for some reason ?)

-pick a smart material and fill tool. click on the mesh : nothing happens
-switch to paint brush and paint : it paints;
-swith to fill tool again, click on the mesh, I get this :
image.thumb.png.5963a13c3ab5aa970febe8b72caa32ab.png

-Now I save the file.
-Reopen
-select smart material and fill tool again, then click on the mesh.
I get this : image.thumb.png.636b3b8f3d3a4c4625535ae20d07a680.png

image.thumb.png.f23125c665c420c73b8303620c60e40b.png

-Now, I do Texture > calculate curvature
-then I fill again :
image.thumb.png.27da578d0c334917976dee9c493f092f.png

No more artifacts at the seams                
Test file (which won't produce artifacts) : test.zip

• Like 2

12.05.20 4.9.43 (beta, close to stable)

- "Factures" renamed to "VerTextures" because it is exactly what factures are - Vertex Texturing

- After baking, we finish at Layer1, not Layer0.

- Possibility to import Quixel materials as VerTextures.

- Baking Curvature improved, the better quality of smoothed part of the curvature.

- Correct refresh of the Color Swatches window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

12.05.20 4.9.43 (beta, close to stable)

- "Factures" renamed to "VerTextures" because it is exactly what factures are - Vertex Texturing

- After baking, we finish at Layer1, not Layer0.

- Possibility to import Quixel materials as VerTextures.

- Baking Curvature improved, the better quality of smoothed part of the curvature.

- Correct refresh of the Color Swatches window.

Has the CTRL ACTION menu issues been fixed?

3 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Has the CTRL ACTION menu issues been fixed?

I made some changes, but I never was able to reproduce... So, please check...

After fill surface mesh with any Smart Material (Paint rooom) any depth stroke on VerTexture or cut mesh or make transparency holes.

- Only one Surface tool type to select for depth paint ?

If Surface mode mesh is Parent on hierarchy class, and we can paint with color, roughness, metal, normal over the mesh... 

- Could VerTexture and Sculpt room be mixed ?

For my pov, VerTexture is another Tool option for Sculpt. As Surface Paint is.

Note:

Go to Paint Room, select any Smart MAterial and keep it open.

Switch to VerTexture, select fill mode, turn off any Vertext, fill... is not clear how every operation is affect the other... a bit unintuitive for me.

Name change suggestion: VerTexture -> Vertext

Vertex2.jpg

Vertex.jpg

Any news about the FBX export bug that was reported and also detailed here:

thanks!

I'm glad Factures was renamed. I kept thinking it said fractures, which would be totally different. I like Vertextures because it says what it does.

It took me a while to understand the difference between vertex paint with smartmaterial and VerTextures until I used the scale rotation commands ... and I saw that the texture could be modified after being painted, really amazing and lots of potential. Thx Andrew.

note: what are these spots that appear sometimes?

Spot.jpg

I don't know if it is intentional or a bug in 4.9.43, but this is really nice.

It is no longer necessary to use virtual mirror to be able to get 3dc to stack islands automatically.

Simply doing Retopo > Apply symmetry to current layer stacks the islands on top of each other nicely !
(it remains possible to unstack them by simply moving them or unwrapping again)

So I'd say it's a nice new feature to have, but I don't recall seiing this in any of the release notes, so I guess it is unintentional ?

---------

Another subject, a question :
Is the (in)ability to export only a selection of paint objects and not all going to be tackled anytime soon ? (Ideally 3dc would export only visible paint objects)

5 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I don't know if it is intentional or a bug in 4.9.43, but this is really nice.

It is no longer necessary to use virtual mirror to be able to get 3dc to stack islands automatically.

Simply doing Retopo > Apply symmetry to current layer stacks the islands on top of each other nicely !
(it remains possible to unstack them by simply moving them or unwrapping again)

So I'd say it's a nice new feature to have, but I don't recall seiing this in any of the release notes, so I guess it is unintentional ?

---------

Another subject, a question :
Is the (in)ability to export only a selection of paint objects and not all going to be tackled anytime soon ? (Ideally 3dc would export only visible paint objects)

I think that has been the default behavior for a long time. I actually do not like it, personally. I'd rather it be an option. Because, if I have already laid out my UV's and for some reason, need to use Symmetrical Copy, it just messes up all the work I did, and now I have to go back and re-arrange the furniture (islands) all over again.

5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I think that has been the default behavior for a long time. I actually do not like it, personally. I'd rather it be an option. Because, if I have already laid out my UV's and for some reason, need to use Symmetrical Copy, it just messes up all the work I did, and now I have to go back and re-arrange the furniture (islands) all over again.

Good point, that would be frustrating !

4.9.43 .. 2 pen lasso stroke don't see mask but brush stroke see the mask...

wee.JPG

This bug has been reported before, but since I use the BaseBrush almost exclusively now, I hope this gets fixed.

The issue is that when Buildup is enabled for the Clay brush, the stroke becomes uncontrollable as if the effect is too extreme. This problem is more noticeable when using higher depth settings and when the mesh surface is at an angle to the camera. The buildup effect also seems to extrude in the direction of the camera and is not based on the vertex normals like Clays default behavior.

BaseBrush-ClayBU_Bug-3.jpg

Edited by SilverCity
spelling

When I attempt to download .43, I get the following:2020-05-15_1136.png.82d15e2e815c80f540838dbda2d021ea.pngwhich says there's a trojan.

The next link gives this:2020-05-15_1138.png.176b4b672263b10fc080c0a429446df7.png

It would be so cool if the voxel Scrape tool acted like the surface Chisel tool when you hold CTRL : if it added matter in the same way.

17 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Where are hotkeys stored  ?
I can't find them in the hotkeys.xml anymore

they are in" *.hotkeys" file in a looong time ;p

17.05.20 4.9.44 (beta, close to stable)

- Preferences rearranged. Export Tab. Units for FBX export, important for the correct scene scale!

- Export dialog essentially streamlined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1