3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

Hey. Until now, with an unexpected shutdown of the computer, crashes, and other such things, sometimes the program settings fly off. Setting presets is not long, but still unpleasant.
version 4.9.04.

Hi

Try switching ON Vertical Synchronization on Preferences.

Vertical.jpg

• Like 1

The problem that I notice only in 3D coat.
For some reason, when I use hot keys, when I try to use another tool, the program switches to this tool and instantly back to the previous one.
Like, I use “Move”, I need “Pose”, I press the hot keys for “Pose”, the program switches it for a split second, and then returns to “Move” again.

I see.  That is strange.  Definitely sounds like a bug.   I wonder if something is causing 3D Coat to read your keypresses as double taps, because that would also explain what's happening.

I found a funny bug I can reproduce multiple times. Retopo room, only affecting the Torus primitive object. Version 4.9.0.5. Please see 1 minute video recording of bug. I didn't go through all primitives, but torus is stable at doing this error.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, yoohasz said:

I found a funny bug I can reproduce multiple times. Retopo room, only affecting the Torus primitive object. Version 4.9.0.5. Please see 1 minute video recording of bug. I didn't go through all primitives, but torus is stable at doing this error.

It looks just as “fun” as all that almost two years ago. Where do these errors come from? In one version they may not exist at all, in the next version it will be regular, in two versions there may not be tons of errors, but some new one will appear where everything was perfect a year ago. The gods of indivisible chaos are involved here.

For me, in 4.9 there's this Paint Room bug. If I take an object in surface mode into the paint room the Fill tool works perfectly, instantly, as do all the paint tools. But if I Autopo an object, UV map it, bake it out into layers and then take it into the Paint Room  and try to use the Fill tool on it, I get an instantaneous crash to desktop of the entire program. I've tried adding new layers to try it on and it still crashes. Just tried that again and sure enough it crashed. It worked perfectly without any lag on a dense mesh in Surface Mode though...

//edit

solved on version 4.9.15

Edited by Carlosan

On 9/24/2019 at 1:03 AM, L'Ancien Regime said:

For me, in 4.9 there's this Paint Room bug. If I take an object in surface mode into the paint room the Fill tool works perfectly, instantly, as do all the paint tools. But if I Autopo an object, UV map it, bake it out into layers and then take it into the Paint Room  and try to use the Fill tool on it, I get an instantaneous crash to desktop of the entire program. I've tried adding new layers to try it on and it still crashes. Just tried that again and sure enough it crashed. It worked perfectly without any lag on a dense mesh in Surface Mode though...

I get the same thing for the last few versions, systematically, without exception.
And it is not just the fill tool. As soon as I touch the paint layers with any tool, the crash occurs. Luckily, I get promted to save the file before 3dc shuts down.
When I reopen all works fine.
Now I got used to saving the file after baking, closing 3dc myself and reopening the file to paint.

//edit

solved on version 4.9.15

Edited by Carlosan

1 hour ago, lesaint said:

I get the same thing for the last few versions, systematically, without exception.
And it is not just the fill tool. As soon as I touch the paint layers with any tool, the crash occurs. Luckily, I get promted to save the file before 3dc shuts down.
When I reopen all works fine.
Now I got used to saving the file after baking, closing 3dc myself and reopening the file to paint.

Exactly. Now that I think about it the entire paint room goes cranky when I try to paint on a UV'd polygonal mesh.  You have to do a save and then reopen the file to paint.  I didn't mention it till now because for some time I was blaming myself for my own ineptitude but recent experiments in the paint room with microvertex painting on surface mode sculptures has shown me the true state of affairs.

I also got a bug importing multiple objs from file menu-import multiple, the assets enter the scene but they look damaged. Scene scale has something to do maybe?

The latest version is very good actually lots of stuff that were not working seem to work now, cool! Keep it up

Edited by micro26

Reported.

Thx!

//edit

solved on version 4.9.15

Interesting. I baked and saved incrementally instead of just saving.
Then, I forgot to close and reopen.
I spent some time merging layers and importing textures.
Then, when I touched a layer with the eraser, 3dc froze for a second and didn't crash.

I am not sure what made a difference. maybe saving incrementally ? I'll experiment with that.

**** edit : *****
Hmm, quick test with a mesh from the retopo models panel.
not saved, and no crash... so I guess the crash does not occur with very simple bakes, or when there is no sculpt layers information. I don't know, no time to do further tests right now.

Edited by lesaint

On 8/28/2019 at 5:57 AM, Ascensi said:

@everyone Is there some kind of luminescence to height brush that we can use to paint height/depth from a color texture rather than rely on alphas or materials that are made to use height maps instead of normals? I know of several programs that use luminescence values to create height maps. I'd use this kind of brush to paint fur where its needed but if I just converted a texture in xnormal I'd have to manually try to figure out what areas need to have it lowered and do a lot of testing (reloading the texture back into 3DCoat or other suite)  If there was a brush that created height from the color map I can keep raising or lowering and see the result instantly.

If this doesn't exist I'd like to request it but unfortunately the forum thread on feature requests seems to be closed.

Edited by Ascensi
update

4 hours ago, Ascensi said:

If this doesn't exist I'd like to request it but unfortunately the forum thread on feature requests seems to be closed.

I guess the height brush only adds or subtracts depth from smart materials with a depth map.. so yeah definitely looking for control of depth through luminescence..

After some experiment i added a color texture into the normal/depth channel and it's doing exactly what I hoped. I was thinking i'd have to enable something or use a specific kind of brush.. Lastly I think it would be good to be able change the depth information of an imported project that doesn't have a depth map - a brush that takes depth from the textured surface rather than from the depth channel or alpha -fast fur/hair.  Last update.. found the process, thank you all for putting up with me.

Edited by Ascensi
mistake