Jump to content
3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, popwfx said:

@Silas Merlin Are you saying that PNGs with transparencies don't work in 3DCoat?   I haven't used TGA since 1985 and I was born in the 90s. ^_^  Does anyone use TGA that isn't in broadcast from decades ago?  Any reason PNG isn't fully supported?

Now I remember that png did work at some point, to some degree : I was making strips, and I noticed that 3dc failed to generate some channels for the strips with PNG whereas it generated all channels with TGA. That is when I started using TGA all the time with 3dc.

I do use TGA on a regular basis because it has a proper channel for alpha which doesn't require erasing the data in the RGB channels, because I do need RGB info on the whole texture. And alpha in addition as opposed to *instead of*, and it so happens that either png doesn't allow that or the software I use doesn't.

If you happen to have a prejudice against TGA there is nothing I can say to help you, you have to live with your file format bigotry or ageism and lose functionality because of it, that is all. Cheers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About  smart material behavor TGA or PNG seems not matter. (I still not test with Tiff but may be it not work too I suppose)

At least about current beta version,   For color map, alpha value of texture can not be shown as tansparent but colored as black.

So  to get alpha we need to make overall mask texture from original. :unknw:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tokikake said:

About  smart material behavor TGA or PNG seems not matter. (I still not test with Tiff but may be it not work too I suppose)

At least about current beta version,   For color map, alpha value of texture can not be shown as tansparent but colored as black.

So  to get alpha we need to make overall mask texture from original. :unknw:

 

testing now with Haikale's build, both png and tga work with alpha, go figure...
As for smart materials, for them to work you need to plug in the texture both in diffuse and mask othewise the rest is indeed black not transparent.

 

Edited by Silas Merlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Connect same alpha include texture for color and mask can not show correctly.

It is because if we connect SRGB texture for mask, 3d coat auto change RGB value as mono (black and white) then use it as mask.

eg R 1 G1 B 0 change as 0.66 wihite.  then R1 G0 B0 will change as 0.33 white , so it show many semi- tansparent area all of material.

about alpha 0 , they simply convert as black, then it can show transparent. 

 

So real workflow should be, in 2d paint aprication, convert alpha layer as black and white map. then plug it in Contrast = (Overall mask texture)

At current it is only way to use PNG, TGA, Tiff texture as decal, with keep alpha for smart material.  But actually it is not good usage for smart material.

because we may hope to edit Mask with different texture, so smart material work as material generator. 

Edited by tokikake
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 2:58 AM, Silas Merlin said:

...

I do use TGA on a regular basis because it has a proper channel for alpha which doesn't require erasing the data in the RGB channels, because I do need RGB info on the whole texture. And alpha in addition as opposed to *instead of*, and it so happens that either png doesn't allow that or the software I use doesn't.

If you happen to have a prejudice against TGA there is nothing I can say to help you, you have to live with your file format bigotry or ageism and lose functionality because of it, that is all. Cheers.

So my main question (despite trying to add a touch of humor which seems misheard/misplaced) was why or how exactly PNG differs from TGA from a functionality in the format  as opposed to how 3DC is using it currently, and as far as I knew, both formats have the same alpha functionality, just PNG is smaller and also lossless and more apps support the format nowadays.  So why wouldn't PNG be supported fully in 3DC by Andrew?  Or am I not understanding the problem fully?  Are you saying TGA supports an alpha per channel, while PNG only gives you 1 alpha in the whole file?  And that means TGA has more data to work with?  thanks for clarifying - I couldn't tell if the format is superior (functionality-wise) or if it was an oversight in 3DC implementation for smart materials.

Also how does EXR work for smart materials?  Is it ultimately the best format for this purpose? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://forum.unity.com/threads/tga-vs-png.420332/

I was mistaken apparently PNG does have the ability to retain color information under the alpha, the problem is that applications paint a solid black on the RGB channels under it.

image.thumb.png.fcfdb50e7f74c3c7cc99d2f5e07ed565.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that this version have stability problems. I never had such a lot issues working in painting room. Lot of times I need to restart app in order to function normaly. I am using app mostly to uv and paint models and always something bugs. After some time when I paint suddenly see blocky paint groups on model which are undoable (undo does not work). 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't "ignore back faces" a setting of paramount importance ? Does it really have to be hidden in the strokes panel ? Shouldn't it have a place in full view, on the main ui ?

Especially because it is a setting that is not "per tool". That is, you activate it to use one tool, but then, later, when you switch tools, it remains activated.

By the way, any chance of getting it to work for the projector tool, please ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2020 at 2:52 PM, dexsoft said:

I think that this version have stability problems. I never had such a lot issues working in painting room. Lot of times I need to restart app in order to function normaly. I am using app mostly to uv and paint models and always something bugs. After some time when I paint suddenly see blocky paint groups on model which are undoable (undo does not work). 

I hear ya.. I've found what I believe to be the culprit and submitted the bug to Andrew. I know this is certain with displacement and in terms of undoing.. sometimes it's a matter of going to the menu to undo rather than shortcut keys or just another area if there is one depending on the function. I had to abandon a lot of projects over the past year or two.. I still have them and likely can be resumed/fixed once the bug is crushed.  I think I may have broke Andrew :blink: with the bug report.. it might be a super challenge.. I haven't seen any updates for a while since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will .65 be the last update till the 2021 is released? 

I wont be able to upgrade to 2021 version for a while so I'd like to know if this is the version I'll have to stick with.

Turkish money lost too much value against the USD while our income is almost the same so it will take some time for me to spare the upgrade amount. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the 2021 release, still working on it, so there's no fixed date yet. 
It could still take a few weeks before we can say something more precise. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when I execute 3D-coat today, an icon changed.

probably, an image changed somewhere.

it is so cute.:rofl:

無題.png

 

there is an image in ToolPresets. maybe this is the cause.

but I have done nothing. why...?:unknw:

tp.png.41ab3502550935e6412235bb9881d4c6.png

Edited by jene
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 12:15 AM, Carlosan said:

Regarding the 2021 release, still working on it, so there's no fixed date yet. 
It could still take a few weeks before we can say something more precise. 

No problem, it will be ready when its ready!
I wish we got some more video sneakpeeks though :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jene said:

but I have done nothing. why...?

maybe you have done something with your hard drive(restore files, scan etc) or there is some problems with it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Hi @Carlosan  is there a hotfix or a new beta release available or coming soon to resolve the displacement bug I reported in my PM to you & Andrew? 

Working right now over bugfixes for 4.9.66, I will be thankful if you will remind and point me to the info.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be  bugs with Symmetry. I think I saw others being mentioned but I only remember the following.


Here is one : clicking on symmetrical copy should produce a total of four copies of the object, but only two appear

see the third video for the above

In order to get it to work  (second video), I had to draw geometry accross the symmetry line and into the side I wanted copied. then ctrl-Z and then the symmetrical copy button would work :
 

Here is more of a visual glitch than an actual (crippling) bug
Instances with symmetry, pose tool - the display of instances does not refresh as the gizmo is being acted upon. Only when the camera moves does the view refresh :

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Working right now over bugfixes for 4.9.66, I will be thankful if you will remind and point me to the info.

 

 

I just sent you a PM now, contains instructions how to reproduce & FBX file  etc Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ascensi said:

I just sent you a PM now, contains instructions how to reproduce & FBX file  etc Thank you!

I see no PM, checked email (andrewshpagin@gmail.com) and personal messages on this site.

support@3dcoat.com does not come directly to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I see no PM, checked email (andrewshpagin@gmail.com) and personal messages on this site.

support@3dcoat.com does not come directly to me.

@Andrew,  do you have plan ,  PNG (TGA Tiff) image alpha show transparent for smart material "color" map? at current it change alpha as black color.

Then to make simple decal "smart material",  from  png (TGA, Tiff) with alpha ,

I need to make  "black and white"  mask (opacity)  map from alpha value of the image,  then  connect it as mask opacity. it need to work in other 2d texture editor.

we can not  use the alpha of the PNG as mask,  because it  convert  RGB average value as mono value ,then multipled with alpha.

 To make simple decal smart material more quick.  I hope

1.   "color map which include alpha"  it auto set opacity with alpha value.  (so we can use PNG  TGA, TIFF which include alpha without any modification)

2.  when "mask (gray scale, or  auto convert RGB ) is added,,  the  mono value will be multipled with each texture alpha,

Though I do not know 3d coat shader language, it may only need to change how opacity value will be circulated..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tokikake said:

@Andrew,  do you have plan ,  PNG (TGA Tiff) image alpha show transparent for smart material "color" map? at current it change alpha as black color.

Then to make simple decal "smart material",  from  png (TGA, Tiff) with alpha ,

I need to make  "black and white"  mask (opacity)  map from alpha value of the image,  then  connect it as mask opacity. it need to work in other 2d texture editor.

we can not  use the alpha of the PNG as mask,  because it  convert  RGB average value as mono value ,then multipled with alpha.

 To make simple decal smart material more quick.  I hope

1.   "color map which include alpha"  it auto set opacity with alpha value.  (so we can use PNG  TGA, TIFF which include alpha without any modification)

2.  when "mask (gray scale, or  auto convert RGB ) is added,,  the  mono value will be multipled with each texture alpha,

Though I do not know 3d coat shader language, it may only need to change how opacity value will be circulated..

Ok, done it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Ok, done it.

Thanks!!! it seems great for me!   :p:

And  if you keep up-date smart material (or node type editor ) I hope to get option for smart material paint,   " without tiling "

. at current view can show one image, with toggle,,  but after all when  paint with blush, it paint as tiled then I often need to use freeze or spline .

(I know we can use blush color, or Spline image tool,,  so it is one enhancement for smart material  maybe we expect it work so)

Tiling.thumb.JPG.53c87a02caf7c77a7f0366c074b59179.JPG

tiled.thumb.JPG.0c8970880df1b828e803a971f2ec7ab1.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×