3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, Dmitry Bedrik said:

Apparently you are not in the know.
Stable versions including are laid out in this branch.
According to your words, this program cannot be used at all, because it is in eternal beta.

Use 4.9.05 if you need a relatively stable version until the post-refactoring builds get stabilized.

• Reputable Contributor

When you create a smart material, the initial layer has default roughness set to 100 and metalness to 0

Any new layer you create has the opposite values. 0 for roughness and 100 for metalness.

I am used to it by now, but I remember that when I was first trying to figure out the smart material editor, this really confused me.
I mean, there are quite a lot of settings in the editor, and I had no idea what most of them did.
So, when I created a new layer, I could see that something was not the way I wanted, but in all the options I just could not understand what was causing it.

Anyway, unless there is a good reason for having one default for the initial layer, and a different default for subsequent layers, I think it would be good to get rid of this discrepency.

Edited by lesaint

• Contributor

Brush Base:
1) Presets Problems:
All my previously saved BaseBrush presets are coming with the value of PlaneOffset = 0 (one slide). Both for Regular and for Ctrl Action.

image.png.5dddf5677200ef03a509bdd561705e57.png

2) Using Clay Brush,  negative values in Degree,  cause strange behaviors in geometry. Or I don't understand what negative numbers for Degree are for using Clay Brush.
image.thumb.png.86cab38b68fd3beb45db9791cbbe0d3f.png

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, pr1970 said:

Any idea of an ETA on that smart pinch? I really could have used that feature recently, looks great!

It's in the newest beta.  You can find it in surface mode just above the new basebrush tool.

I have had an issue with the last several versions where i can't select my folders for smart materials, shaders, stencils, brushes, etc.  It only shows add new folder, and add existing folder.  Moving individual items from one folder to another still shows that they are being detected by 3d coat.  

IMG_20200205_160539576.thumb.jpg.56aef2763a8a133cf62c36839598a304.jpgIMG_20200205_160601113.thumb.jpg.5b3fae45ab28394b8fb79f7b7a99c5c2.jpg

@Thomas ChengThis is essentially BETA build open for users who like to participate, and wish to help and contribute. 

Too many changes were done so be careful with re-writing saved scenes.

Before choosing to use BETA software for production purposes, you should decide whether the benefit of new features and bug fixes provided by the BETA version outweighs the risk of instability you may encounter. Use at your own risk.

Thanks for testing.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 4.9 >Open BETA< testing thread
  • Advanced Member

Version 4.9.23 - tooth paste tools destroys mesh in voxel mode(holes, etc.)

Also, in last couple of versions, 3DC doesn't work well with 3DConnexion, especialy in Render Room with Real Time Render enabled - everything gets blurry with even tiny movement.

Just tested in 4.9.05 and it works without problem.

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, Mihu83 said:

Also, in last couple of versions, 3DC doesn't work well with 3DConnexion, especialy in Render Room with Real Time Render enabled - everything gets blurry with even tiny movement.

Mihu, hold RMB at the same time as navigating with the 3d mouse in render room.

I recently started to notice a problem with the alpha rotation on brushstrokes in the Sculpt room. I mainly use the Surface and BaseBrush, so I can' t say if this applies to the Voxel brushes as well. It occurs randomly, about 25% of the time. I increased the spacing to make it easier to see the alpha rotation.

BrushRotationBug.jpg

Edited by SilverCity
Added info.

• Contributor

2020-02-09_1430.thumb.png.cba09e5af208a9127f136df862aac13e.png

I hid the selected pants in the UV room and now I can't get the mesh back that is visible in the  UV Preview. Plus can anyone explain the edges that are marked violet or yellow that can't be erased with ctrl-click? Also the model is no longer visible in the UV room so can't "apply UV" there.

Edited by Tony Nemo
more info

• Reputable Contributor
On 2/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, Mihu83 said:

If 4.9.05 is last stable release, then I don't understand why 4.9.17 is on download site... it makes a bit of a confusion.

That was already discussed in this thread. The Webmaster hasn't changed it, thought he should. Perhaps, Andrew told him that 4.9.23 would replace it, because he is trying to get it stable.

• Contributor
23 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

2020-02-09_1430.thumb.png.cba09e5af208a9127f136df862aac13e.png

I hid the selected pants in the UV room and now I can't get the mesh back that is visible in the  UV Preview. Plus can anyone explain the edges that are marked violet or yellow that can't be erased with ctrl-click? Also the model is no longer visible in the UV room so can't "apply UV" there.

With "Mark Seams" selected (very important for context menu),  click now visible "Unhide All".