3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member

Trying it again, I'm not having the same issue.

I think it might be related to a different bug where when I open the color picker by pressing the 'b' key, the color picker didn't disappear when my cursor came off the window.  

After testing a little more.  It happened in both GL and DX versions of 4.9.58

Unfortunately, I can't seem to replicate the bug.  But it seems when the color picker dialog remains open, the polygonal and lasso cutoff tools don't work in either version.  I haven't tested to see if it's the same with other dialogs like the alphas window.

I'll post again if I can get more clarity.

EDIT:  Okay, steps to reproduce.

Open the Color Palette Dialog through Windows->Panels->Color Palette.  

Undock it if it's docked.  It should stay visible whether your cursor is hovering over it or not

Try using the cutoff tools polygonal or freehand lasso tools and it shouldn't work.

EDIT II:  After Digmans response I tried using the new Beta Curves to see if that would work and it did.  After using the Beta Curves, I was able to get the polygonal and freehand lasso tools work correctly while the undocked Color Palette dialog was opened.  However, in subsequent attempts, the Polygonal Lasso tool and Freehand Lasso tool are no longer working again when the Color Palette is open.  Very strange.

Edited by gbball

• Advanced Member

@digman I hadn't been using the new curves, just the polyonal and freehand lasso tool.  All the beta features are enabled though.  

I edited my earlier post to mention that after your comment I did try to see if the curves would work and they did.  Subsequently, the polygonal lasso and freehand lasso tool did end up working as expected.  However, this only worked the one time I tried it and subsequent attempts to get the lasso tools working properly by using the curves first didn't work.

• Reputable Contributor

Version 4.9.58 Windows. GL version.

@tcwik....

I get clean cuts not what is shown in your picture using both New beta and old curves.

@ggball

Old Curves:

I confirm the bug when color palette is undocked. I tested clicking somewhere on the 3DC interface but not on a tool or menu item after undocking.

Then drew out another curve for cutoff and it starting working again. I ran through the test a few times.

Maybe it is a focus issue. 3DC remains focus on the Color palette till you click somewhere else on the interface which is a bug.

1.09.20 4.9.59 (stable)

- Pivot option - rotate around the camera origin.

- Fixed ghost & autosave problem.

- Fixed sphere tool "From start point" issue

- Symmetry & lasso drawing with symmetry working correctly.

- Principally new buildup mechanism for BrushEngine. Now buildup and non-buildup brushes act exactly the same, the difference starts when you will stroke the same place many times. Non-buildup reaches some height limit, buildup grows infinitely (but slowly) if the modifier allows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

I'm having fun with the new "pivot around camera position".
Very difficult to fine tune the settings and get used to it after five years of not having it in 3d-Coat.
Anyway, this is pure joy, thanks again !

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Reputable Contributor

3DC version Windows--- Beta 4.9.59

I noticed that the General Clay brush, the one you use to create your own brushes does not work with Sculpt Layers. The new base brush under Custom does work with Sculpt Layers. 

Picture shows all layers turned off. The general clay brush work resides on layer 4 and 2. You can see that the sculpting work is still there on the base sphere when hiding the layers. 

general clay.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version Beta 4.9.59

The new curves are more powerful and a great addition to 3DC. 

I have a request. 

The old curves you could change the brush radius by simply clicking on a curve point after drawing out the curve.

The new curves you can change the radius after unlocking the radius and showing the radius circle in the Curve settings but it is different. 

You have to move a point on the curve a tiny bit before the new radius takes effect. This requires extra work as you have already set your curve as you need it.

Thanks for looking into this and if I have overlook something, by all means tell me. :)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

One more. 

Windows Version  beta 4.9.59

Pose tool. There is no edit pose falloff when Paint Select is selected in the drop down list.

Windows Version beta 4.8.15

Pose tool. The edit pose falloff appears when Paint Select is selected. 

Picture.:

Left side is version 4.8.15

Right side is version 4.9.59

Edit gone.JPG

• Reputable Contributor

You can successfully export a .ply with vertex color from the sculpt room.

When you reimport that .ply in the sculpt room, if you go to flat shading, the vertex color disappears.
Also, you can't "bake color from visible volumes" from that .ply to another mesh in the scene.

• Reputable Contributor

I've never really figured out what the reproject tool is meant for, I mean, originally.

I use it in many ways, often, usually as a way to fix something.

Well, someone told me it was meant to "reproject a different topology to your sculpt"

In that sense, I have an idea of how I would like it to work. I don't know if it is possible, I'll try to explain :

I was doing vertex painting on a face, so, in surface mode, very dense mesh, but I realized I had to work on the sculpt of the ears.
sculpting in surface mode is very unnecessarily tricky and complicated in my opinion. So, I created a new voxel copy, sculpted it, turned it to surface, and then use the reproject tool on my original to copy the changes.
After that, I go to the retopo room and adapt the retopo mesh to the new shape.

Well, that gets me thinking about the reproject tool and that idea that it is meant to reproject a different topology.
Yes, as in my example, it is ultimately my retopo that I want to reproject.
At present I do it manually, in the retopo room.

But, what if you could have in the sculpt room a subdivided "instance" of  your retopo. I mean something different from a sculpt object : you could not voxelize it, you could not use live clay tools on it, but, you could use regular sculpt tools on it, and... reproject. (and you'd also need the ability to turn it into a regular sculpt object to paint and bake from)
whatever you would do to this subdivided instance would carry over to the retopo mesh.

Does this make sense ?

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin  Ambient Occlusion doesn't seem to fit to all areas, maybe it should scan the UVs rather than the model?  I don't know how you make it work but here is my issue, the caves that i've created aren't getting the AO. I did use Auto UV upon import, perhaps that is the issue.  

image.png

Edited by Ascensi
update

• Advanced Member

I do not remember when this problem start, but pray with beta, I can not move "setting" window for "Cylindical" or "Sphere" project for smart material preview.

So I can not see real preview at all ^^;  I believe those new special setting otpions ,should be useful , so hope it will be correct (free move the setting panell)

setting.thumb.JPG.0b448047c08280156e66a73e558ae5a5.JPG

//edit

Fixed

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
11 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@Ascensi Hi. Latest version is 4.9.59

Please run that test using the latest version

Thx

Thanks, it still doesn't work for AO. This might be an issue how it was designed to work by adding light /AO to the outside of objects but doesn't bake on tunnels.. this would mean a lot of crazy splitting / hiding meshes like the top half of a cave baking ao then making the underside visible only and baking that into a separate later then combining them..  I hope it could be baked onto the 2d UVs instead of examining all the 3D parts especially where it doesn't seem to bake.

Edited by Ascensi

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version beta 4.9.59 GL...

It is appears that creating a shader  for pre-vis in the sculpt room using a normal map is broken. I tested the same shader in 4.8.15 and the normal map is applied correctly.  

Picture: 

Same shader and settings and both from a top down view.

On the left is 4.8.15. You see the effect of the normal map.

On the right is 4.9.59. No effect at all plus you get lines showing up if you look close. The normal map preview appears flat in the shader settings.

Edit:

Here are the settings with the normal map preview. It appears flat, you might see a little something there but it is so faint.

The high setting for the bumpness is to show clearly the effect of the normal map.

Normal map broken.jpg

Settings.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, digman said:

Windows version beta 4.9.59 GL...

It is appears that creating a shader  for pre-vis in the sculpt room using a normal map is broken. I tested the same shader in 4.8.15 and the normal map is applied correctly.  

Picture: 

Same shader and settings and both from a top down view.

On the left is 4.8.15. You see the effect of the normal map.

On the right is 4.9.59. No effect at all plus you get lines showing up if you look close. The normal map preview appears flat in the shader settings.

Have you tried setting a negative value for the bump ? you need to do that sometimes for it to work, but you have to type it in manually because otherwise 3dc won't let you.

As for the border lines showing up I have had that for a long time but I thought it was something I was doing wrong : I have been unable to create new shaders for quite a while.

• Reputable Contributor

@Silas Thanks for your input.

You should not have to put in a negative value which would reverse the normal map. I believe the normal map in creating shaders is just broken, a bug. I added a picture of my settings. Very basic shader. 

I did test a negative value. No effect as well.

I am sure once Andrew and the development team test this it will be fixed. Anyone else can test too creating a simple shader with a normal map in version  windows 4.9.59. GL 

I did not test DX as I do not use it.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

ah sorry replied without testing, because I thought I remembered something about inverting the values to make it work, but it was just for inverting. it does not change whether the normal map shows up or not.
anyway I am getting normal map to show up on "new shader" in 4.9.59GL, except that it has lines at the borders :

Newly created (right click > construct new shader then add textures)

2020-09-12_17-30-16.thumb.png.fd3168f0828ea9f9c387e63ae75f0a95.png

"old" shader with same textures :
2020-09-12_17-30-24.thumb.png.4e2385579c8a4d0b3099d748e5408ff0.png

EDIT : duplicating a shader and editing its settings works. It is when you try to change the textures that you get this.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 7:19 PM, Ascensi said:

Thanks, it still doesn't work for AO. This might be an issue how it was designed to work by adding light /AO to the outside of objects but doesn't bake on tunnels.. this would mean a lot of crazy splitting / hiding meshes like the top half of a cave baking ao then making the underside visible only and baking that into a separate later then combining them..  I hope it could be baked onto the 2d UVs instead of examining all the 3D parts especially where it doesn't seem to bake.

Hello

Sorry i cant replicate, please try importing my version obj (Discord PM).  

The original model has a scale of 10km, I decreased the proportion. Size can affect OC baking.

AO.jpg