3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor

Interesting. I baked and saved incrementally instead of just saving.
Then, I forgot to close and reopen.
I spent some time merging layers and importing textures.
Then, when I touched a layer with the eraser, 3dc froze for a second and didn't crash.

I am not sure what made a difference. maybe saving incrementally ? I'll experiment with that.

**** edit : *****
Hmm, quick test with a mesh from the retopo models panel.
not saved, and no crash... so I guess the crash does not occur with very simple bakes, or when there is no sculpt layers information. I don't know, no time to do further tests right now.

Edited by lesaint

• Contributor
On 8/28/2019 at 5:57 AM, Ascensi said:

@everyone Is there some kind of luminescence to height brush that we can use to paint height/depth from a color texture rather than rely on alphas or materials that are made to use height maps instead of normals? I know of several programs that use luminescence values to create height maps. I'd use this kind of brush to paint fur where its needed but if I just converted a texture in xnormal I'd have to manually try to figure out what areas need to have it lowered and do a lot of testing (reloading the texture back into 3DCoat or other suite)  If there was a brush that created height from the color map I can keep raising or lowering and see the result instantly.

If this doesn't exist I'd like to request it but unfortunately the forum thread on feature requests seems to be closed.

Edited by Ascensi
update

• Contributor
4 hours ago, Ascensi said:

If this doesn't exist I'd like to request it but unfortunately the forum thread on feature requests seems to be closed.

I guess the height brush only adds or subtracts depth from smart materials with a depth map.. so yeah definitely looking for control of depth through luminescence..

After some experiment i added a color texture into the normal/depth channel and it's doing exactly what I hoped. I was thinking i'd have to enable something or use a specific kind of brush.. Lastly I think it would be good to be able change the depth information of an imported project that doesn't have a depth map - a brush that takes depth from the textured surface rather than from the depth channel or alpha -fast fur/hair.  Last update.. found the process, thank you all for putting up with me.

Edited by Ascensi
mistake
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, SERGYI said:

Please use this build:
http://www.pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoat/3DCoat-4.8.40.dmg
AUTOPO in "3DCoat 4.9.xx" under macOS will be fixed when the new version will be uploaded here (after 4.9.06):

Should have been more specific. When I use the tools not the auto retopo option.

the model vanishes when I use the quad tools. Happens if I zoom in too close on the model. 

and is it worth it to send my crash report or do they go straight to apple? 

Thanks

Here's a strange problem in 4.8.05, Retopo room. The symmetry keeps flipping from left to right and back every couple of clicks I do. For example I can delete a couple polys on the right side, then I go to click another in the same area and it tells me I clicked on the wrong side. So I switch to the left and the same thing happens, I can delete a few then it switches sides and gives me the warning so I have to keep switching sides. I haven't tested all tools but it does it with marking seams too.

11 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Here's a strange problem in 4.8.05, Retopo room. The symmetry keeps flipping from left to right and back every couple of clicks I do. For example I can delete a couple polys on the right side, then I go to click another in the same area and it tells me I clicked on the wrong side. So I switch to the left and the same thing happens, I can delete a few then it switches sides and gives me the warning so I have to keep switching sides. I haven't tested all tools but it does it with marking seams too.

This was driving me CRAZY so what I did was I went into the options in retopo menu and turned off virtual mode, so that it makes actual polygons in symmetry, that removes the problem entirely

Edited by Hdharris
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 11:51 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Newest version comes soon. We spent a lot of a forts for refactoring.

Code refactoring is the process of restructuring existing computer code—changing the factoring—without changing its external behavior. Refactoring is intended to improve nonfunctional attributes of the software.

Advantages include improved code readability and reduced complexity; these can improve source-code maintainability and create a more expressive internal architecture or object model to improve extensibility.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Andrew has occasionally gone on vacation, perhaps he took a break. Or perhaps he's in the zone, working on something really cool.

He is chin deep in refactoring. He said it's been the most labor-intensive effort he's ever undergone.

• Like 3

• Contributor

Hi,
Since everyone is talking about code or programming language.

I would like to know your opinion regarding the Python language.
I don't understand much about programming languages, and I know that 3d-coat is made by C ++.
But wouldn't it be positive if 3d-coat also supported the Python language? Blender is powerful and the amount of tools and features made through Python is amazing.
Wouldn't it be something to be thinking of a bridge between C ++ and Python?
I once read an article about it and it seems that this would be possible.

Like I said, I don't understand anything about programming, much less I would like to complicate things, but what do you guys think?
Maybe 3d-coat would become even more powerful and there are many people who know how to program in python (just look at what they do with blender).
Just a thought ... ;) 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks for testing this Carlosan.

If I convert the model to Voxels and then go back to Surface mode, it works.
There is definitely a bug here, and I will play around with this until I find a way to replicate it.

-Steps was to start sculpt in voxel mode.
-Increase the res of the Voxel layer to 2x or 4x
-convert layer to Surface mode. My model is around the 2 mill mark.
-Create a new sculpt layer to isolate noise on its own layer.
-Apply noise and see 3D-Coat vanish.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Werner_Z said:

Thanks for testing this Carlosan.

If I convert the model to Voxels and then go back to Surface mode, it works.
There is definitely a bug here, and I will play around with this until I find a way to replicate it.

-Steps was to start sculpt in voxel mode.
-Increase the res of the Voxel layer to 2x or 4x
-convert layer to Surface mode. My model is around the 2 mill mark.
-Create a new sculpt layer to isolate noise on its own layer.
-Apply noise and see 3D-Coat vanish.

That seems to indicate something wrong with the original mesh. Maybe a hole or self intersection somewhere. I had an issue like that once. Tested another mesh and it was ok.

• Reputable Contributor
46 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi 

You mean something like this ?

Hi, no, not at all Carlosan, I mean the camera rotating around itself,  I think that's what's called "freecam" in most games.

I use rotate around last pick point, that works well with a simple object, like a character or something like that.

But... what about a whole building with an inside, or a huge terrain, or.... a creature with tentacles, or simply a chair !
"Camming" becomes difficult then with "last pick point", because the pointer can easily pass over a distant leg, tentacle or mountain and throw you off course.

I'm talking about navigation with a 3d mouse of course.
rotation around world center / object bounding box is just too painful.

I make do with "around last pick point", but it has become increasingly difficult lately, because of that problem that was mentioned before, of the sphere tool losing the ability to "pick" when not drawing a stroke.
Other tools have had that problem for even longer but I can't remember which, I think maybe "plane" not sure.

21.10.2019 4.9.06 [beta]

- There was a very essential refactoring of 3D-Coat, around 40% of all source code changed. The purpose was to make code less redundant, easier to develop, better documented and easily extendable. It was a huge amount of job.

- Key to edit text changed - now F9, not F2

- Fixed fundamental materials problem that arises when a user makes materials using textures of the same name from different folders. Making the distributable package was messing the textures.

- More intuitive primitives preview - gizmo and object preview becomes transparent as soon as you will apply the primitive to make changes visible. As soon as you will move the gizmo or undo, the preview of primitive will get back.

- the same works for curves/text

- Action along curve works better, more smooth strokes, pinch tool works without strange "stitches".

- Compatibility of Sculpt Layers with proxy mode.

- Correct work of sculpt layers with extrusion by rect/curves selection.

- Copy & Subtract From... in VoxTree RMB to subtract without destroying the source volume.

- Possibility to hide rarely used gizmo elements.

- Seams, Sharp edges, Seams over sharp edges are marked with different colors for convenience.

- Import of the model with textures is seamless. In previous builds roughness/gloss textures were producing seams.

- Freeze included in voxel/surface toolset.

- Shaders editor (by RMB) updated - better controls, textures preview, possibility to use bump/depth texture for the normalmap slot. As soon as you will choose a texture that does not look like normalmap, it will be converted to normalmap-like look automatically.

- Apply button for all tools that may require ENTER to commit action, like Split, Clone, Cut&Clone. It is applicable if you are using new curves.

Render room changes:

There you can now:
 1. Render individual passes
 2. Customize the silhouettes in the render and in the viewport (this is important for the artist, since the person perceives the picture according to the silhouettes and the artists begin to draw from the silhouettes.
 3. Set up presets (for example, to quickly look at silhouettes or different lighting)
 4. Volumetric fog with shadows.
 5. Fixed a bug with shadows in shaders, now they are clearer and do not hang in the air.
 6. Render video to one mp4 file
 7. New interface
 8. Automatic assembly of psd with layers so that the artist can work with individual passes and light sources in Photoshop
 9. Fix toon shaders in render
 10. You can save render settings to a file and read from the file
 11. The light sources from the panorama now have a different density depending on the brightness, which allows you to quickly get a good result and clear, detailed shadows that convey the shape of the light source, glow from the sun, etc. (the custom panoramas need to be reimported that the light sources recalculated correctly)

This is essentially BETA build, be careful with re-writing saved scenes. Too many changes were done. We tried to check and test carefully, but need your help to check if all workflows work correctly. Thanks for testing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1