Jump to content
3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member
48 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Click on the Camera menu at top right of screen > customize navigation
then create an entry something like this :

image.png.211ad3ce307c4fbe72256e45636047af.png
 

thanks a lot. I wonder why I did not try this. I guess I´ve let my brain go a too complex way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

@tcwik Well, I have sort off similar issues... but it's with almost every build(don't know for how long). The issue is, interface partially reset itself, guides are turning off, brushes doesn't keep size and tip settings, auto pick is turning on by itself, etc.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor

using primitives like is shown in the recent lion with snake video is not attractive to me.

Notice it means dealing with the dreaded gizmo, too.

What I would really like and use would be a means to add vertices and thus draw polygons "in the air". What is so frustrating to me is that the means to do so is in fact implemented ("on plane" mode in retopo room), but so badly that it can't be used at all, or, at least, I need to be shown how it works because no matter how much I try, I can't figure it out. (It requires using RMB, which is also used by all the retopo tools...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

using primitive is referring to box of clay ;] slowly build  a base mass of what U doing, very nice idea!, but too analog'ish XD in 3d world you could have rigged animals presets; some kind of dynamic presets maybe a commercial library ..no need to reinvent the wheel ;]

Edited by tcwik
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

Is this latest update before 2021 ver? Because it is tragic. Curvature calculation work bad and it is 2-3 times slower than in version 4.9.34. I had to install back that version. Why calculation engine has changed? It was perfect and now is unusable completely. When you bake from retopo edges are bad, lot of black areas. Also lot of interuption in work like simple paint in paintroom and suddenly brushes dont work, need to restart... simple bake from high poly to lowpoly produces visible uv seems. That dodnt fixed and it is basic thing. I dont understand how you guys make your bakes when seems are so visible. I understand that I need to find and apply good shader in sculptroom and bake. Then why you keep those shaders which produces seems on bake? Isnt that wierd. Why we use them if they are not usable? They can be used only if you work only in sculpt room and never bake them.

So I think you need to debug this latest vesion. Unfortunatelly adding a lot of new features bring us more bugs. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm using the latest beta and trying to export my retopo mesh. It seems whatever I try the file saves out as 1kb and has no polygons when I load it into LigthWave. I tried saving as  LWO and OBJ. Tried adding a UV map, tried using Export as well as Export Selected. Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor
9 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

I'm using the latest beta and trying to export my retopo mesh. It seems whatever I try the file saves out as 1kb and has no polygons when I load it into LigthWave. I tried saving as  LWO and OBJ. Tried adding a UV map, tried using Export as well as Export Selected. Any ideas?

-drag the retopo layer to the retopo models panel
-in retopo menu do > Clear mesh
-click on the model in the retopo models panel and apply without snapping.
-export again

-report back here :)


EDIT :
Had it been an FBX export, I would have said : check, and double check the file name and the whole file path (name of folders) for non standard characters (like é ô ù, etc...)

Also, with this retopo that you can't export, can you bake it to paint room ? (I think you will crash)

 

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
On 1/22/2021 at 1:20 AM, dexsoft said:

Is this latest update before 2021 ver? Because it is tragic. Curvature calculation work bad and it is 2-3 times slower than in version 4.9.34. I had to install back that version. Why calculation engine has changed? It was perfect and now is unusable completely. When you bake from retopo edges are bad, lot of black areas. Also lot of interuption in work like simple paint in paintroom and suddenly brushes dont work, need to restart... simple bake from high poly to lowpoly produces visible uv seems. That dodnt fixed and it is basic thing. I dont understand how you guys make your bakes when seems are so visible. I understand that I need to find and apply good shader in sculptroom and bake. Then why you keep those shaders which produces seems on bake? Isnt that wierd. Why we use them if they are not usable? They can be used only if you work only in sculpt room and never bake them.

So I think you need to debug this latest vesion. Unfortunatelly adding a lot of new features bring us more bugs. 

 

I'm really finding 3DCoat unsafe to use for painting overall and it's very worrying about the future to upgrade if Andrew and his team can't solve the existing bugs like painting with displacement. I sent him an example sphere from Zbrush and Andrew said it was too extreme yet it works fine using it to sculpt and create displacement in Zbrush.

Also CC3 Human characters created by Reallusion also tear at some areas, not necessarily seams but abrupt zig zags in  edgeloops rather than equilateral quads. I'm thinking the brush and baking struggles with topology. I'm extremely annoyed by these bugs for over a year and a half.. they kill projects.. you start one and then a day or a week into it you find 3DCoat suddenly shows glitches. @Andrew Shpagin

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, popwfx said:

Just wondering why frequency of posts and updates here has slowed?  Are things ok with devs? Is this still actively being developed or on hiatus?  Just wondering as we're eagerly awaiting v2021.

My guess would be they're concentrating on a final sprint to polish and release 3DCoat 2021.

There might be the occasional spare time to fix a bug in the current builds here and there but I wouldn't be surprised if we won't see any major improvements before the new thing is really ready to publish. Maybe between finishing and getting the store and marketing ready there'd be a window but I wouldn't count on it.

That'd be my speculation, mind you. I seriously doubt 3DCoat has stopped being developed is what I'm saying.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

What do you think about to hide root layer? Don't know who using this, but it will give a bit space and better hierarchy for real layers. Though i think whole widow should be revamp as it's old and not user-friendly, often you can click and convert layer accidently. Other indications here also not very optimized for work, for example color in layers etc. I don't know, in photoshop(as it have similar UI) all fine but here layers looks chaotic in tree

nwyV6HZ.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, sprayer said:

What do you think about to hide root layer? Don't know who using this, but it will give a bit space and better hierarchy for real layers. Though i think whole widow should be revamp as it's old and not user-friendly, often you can click and convert layer accidently. Other indications here also not very optimized for work, for example color in layers etc. I don't know, in photoshop(as it have similar UI) all fine but here layers looks chaotic in tree

nwyV6HZ.jpg

root layer used to be very useful:
after baking you could simply hide root and go to paint room.

Now that doesn't work. going to paint room makes it visible.

So yes, I agree, it doesn't serve any purpose anymore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

- I still can't drag multiple layers to the sub-layer or pull layers from the sub-layer. They are pulled out one at a time.
- It still does not work the first time just take and drag the layer, it is randomly either dragged into the sub-layer or remains in the same place.
- Still no support for 4k monitors
- There is still a glitch with switching using hot keys, from the Pose tool to any other - if you work in Pose, then when I select any other tool using a hotkey (smoothing, for example), the program switches to the desired tool and instantly returns to the instrument pose.
- Still incorrect operation of the "flatten" tool (in voxel mode)  - instead of taking a plane of three or more points from the center of the brush, the tool sometimes cuts off the wrong parts of the mesh that are needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Please please please, if there's one addition to 2021, please add proper multi-monitor support (not just side by side monitor support but any 2 monitors - including up and down mounted ones) with dockable, collapsible tabs like Affinity Photo has.  It lets you access panels and collapse them away super easily

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Has anyone ever run across a problem where painting with a strip causes permanent damage to a layer? When I mean permanent I mean it literally has created destruction on my layer which cannot be erased or painted over. I was simply painting with a strip brush alongside a mesh and then did undo when I didn't like the result and this occurred:

image.thumb.png.42e6aeaaac0a1e6e2f61bcf36a2b5ec5.png

In 2d mode with normals toggled you can clearly see the damage:

image.png.57287dd9daf0500fc289c242d31ac8e7.png

 

Now I now what you are thinking "just use erase tool and make sure normals is toggled and set to 100%. Tried it, won't erase. Its clearly destroyed this layer becasue if I turn the layer off everything is fine but this layer seems permanently damaged. I can't even paint new normal map detail over this 'black hole' section. Even worse restarting 3D Coat(v4.9.65) its still retained so its not just some temporary memory issue that cleans itself up on program restart. Even exporting the normal map texture the corruption is still visible. I've even tried duplicating the layer to see if a duplicated one loses the corruption but it still persists. I don't think there is a way I can transfer over all the paint data I did and just exclude that area so the layer will have that small corruption on it forever.

I've seen weird artifacts when painting normal data occur but it was always able to be erased, I've never encountered something that looked like this ever before ...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor
38 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Thanks for fast reply, yes I have never touched any setting in the beta section it is left like this for me:
 

I should point out the issue occurred for me in paint room when I was working on the model as well.

Would it be possible for you to create a file stripped of everything else that you could share, with the corrupted layer in it ?

For example you could delete most of the geometry in the retopo room and update the paint mesh.
then delete everything you have in the sculpt room, in the retopo room, and other paint layers you have.

I don't think it would be a problem sharing such a file ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Would it be possible for you to create a file stripped of everything else that you could share, with the corrupted layer in it ?

For example you could delete most of the geometry in the retopo room and update the paint mesh.
then delete everything you have in the sculpt room, in the retopo room, and other paint layers you have.

I don't think it would be a problem sharing such a file ?

I attached the file (I'll keep the file in the post available until you/Carlosan get it). I labeled the corrupted layer too. Along with a another layer just circling the trouble area with arrows that you can toggle off later, just so its easy to find the trouble spot quickly. The corrupted layer had lots of other normal map detail on it but I erased all of it, except for the corruption which does not appear erasable, if its the same results I have you won't be able to to get rid of the corruption from that layer. Thanks for looking into it.

Edited by Mystical
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor
37 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I attached the file (I'll keep the file in the post available until you/Carlosan get it). I labeled the corrupted layer too. Along with a another layer just circling the trouble area with arrows that you can toggle off later, just so its easy to find the trouble spot quickly. The corrupted layer had lots of other normal map detail on it but I erased all of it, except for the corruption which does not appear erasable, if its the same results I have you won't be able to to get rid of the corruption from that layer. Thanks for looking into it.
 

corrupted_layer.zip

could you fill Layer 0 (green ball only) with this color and see if the problem persists ? image.png.ccfa6851a727dc899622aedc8993d79d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...