3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, GrzegorzWięcek said:

Hello,

I have an annoying issue with AUTOPO.

1/ Each time I try to use it my 3DCoat crashes ;/ 

2/3DCoat doesn't recognize Instant Meshes add-on as default (look attached image).

Does anyone has the same? 

I use 4.9.02 on OSX

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-08-26 at 10.55.13.png

Probably best to contact Sergii, to look into the problem, as he handles development of the MAC and Linux builds

• Like 1

@GrzegorzWięcek

2/3 bug was reported, please use standalone version until it will be fixed. Thx

Pre-compiled binaries

The following binaries (Intel, 64 bit) are automatically generated from the latest GitHub revision.

Mac OS X
Please also fetch the following dataset ZIP file and extract it so that the datasets folder is in the same directory as Instant Meshes, Instant Meshes.app, or Instant Meshes.exe.

Datasets

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
47 minutes ago, geo_n said:

Congrats Andrew!
Any improvement to speed with regards to layers in the Paint room? Like turning it on/off, shuffling layer, etc?  I use 3dcoat painting on a daily basis. Still the most intuitive.

The last time I spoke with Andrew, he did say that a GPU brush engine (for the Paint room, anyway) was still being worked on. Therefore, I doubt a lot is being done on the CPU side, although I did show him how Microvertex was noticeably faster than PPP. He said that shouldn't be the case and would look into it. 

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin thank you so much for adding GU UV! There seems to be a bug with it.. if I add GU UV to a mesh with no subdivision, auto scale or just apply the UV set  then export, reimport for PPP, subdivide for 16k with full smoothing the painting is distorted and paints in multiple places at once (symmetry is off)  When I add ambient occlusion layer the surface is odd like it adds a marble paint job. Have I missed a step creating GU UV? Using version 4.9.05

Edit: well, long ago I requested if its possible to have UVs with no seams and I thought GU UV was it. What I did was move all faces to the same UV space and removed seams then  used GU UV and applied it. I've learned today from a CG Channel article that it was about being more exact than to create UVs without seams.

I'm doing organic shapes and seams with displacement are a nightmare!

My issue preparing subdivision models to paint with displacement is basically distortion that happens on the seams and it was logical to conclude that the problem would be solved if it didn't have any!

What would be the best way to handle this? auto uv on ppp import , remove seams, apply? 

Edited by Ascensi
update

• Advanced Member
On 8/28/2019 at 1:27 AM, AbnRanger said:

The last time I spoke with Andrew, he did say that a GPU brush engine (for the Paint room, anyway) was still being worked on. Therefore, I doubt a lot is being done on the CPU side, although I did show him how Microvertex was noticeably faster than PPP. He said that shouldn't be the case and would look into it. 

That's too bad. 4k textures are getting really slow with lots of layers.
Also badly needed is for some tools to have "affect all layers" functions.  Especially painting and erasing tools when using marquee brush mode.

• Contributor
On 8/28/2019 at 5:57 AM, Ascensi said:

@Andrew Shpagin thank you so much for adding GU UV! There seems to be a bug with it.. if I add GU UV to a mesh with no subdivision, auto scale or just apply the UV set  then export, reimport for PPP, subdivide for 16k with full smoothing the painting is distorted and paints in multiple places at once (symmetry is off)  When I add ambient occlusion layer the surface is odd like it adds a marble paint job. Have I missed a step creating GU UV? Using version 4.9.05

Edit: well, long ago I requested if its possible to have UVs with no seams and I thought GU UV was it. What I did was move all faces to the same UV space and removed seams then  used GU UV and applied it. I've learned today from a CG Channel article that it was about being more exact than to create UVs without seams.

I'm doing organic shapes and seams with displacement are a nightmare!

My issue preparing subdivision models to paint with displacement is basically distortion that happens on the seams and it was logical to conclude that the problem would be solved if it didn't have any!

What would be the best way to handle this? auto uv on ppp import , remove seams, apply? 

Seamless UVs would be awesome but I think I found a solution.. Even though my mesh was pure tris, I had to checkmark tris on import (I wish there was a popup that said "try this to avoid UV glitches" or something.

• Advanced Member

The problem that I notice only in 3D coat.
For some reason, when I use hot keys, when I try to use another tool, the program switches to this tool and instantly back to the previous one.
Like, I use “Move”, I need “Pose”, I press the hot keys for “Pose”, the program switches it for a split second, and then returns to “Move” again.

• Advanced Member

I see.  That is strange.  Definitely sounds like a bug.   I wonder if something is causing 3D Coat to read your keypresses as double taps, because that would also explain what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 9/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, yoohasz said:

I found a funny bug I can reproduce multiple times. Retopo room, only affecting the Torus primitive object. Version 4.9.0.5. Please see 1 minute video recording of bug. I didn't go through all primitives, but torus is stable at doing this error.

It looks just as “fun” as all that almost two years ago. Where do these errors come from? In one version they may not exist at all, in the next version it will be regular, in two versions there may not be tons of errors, but some new one will appear where everything was perfect a year ago. The gods of indivisible chaos are involved here.

• Advanced Member

For me, in 4.9 there's this Paint Room bug. If I take an object in surface mode into the paint room the Fill tool works perfectly, instantly, as do all the paint tools. But if I Autopo an object, UV map it, bake it out into layers and then take it into the Paint Room  and try to use the Fill tool on it, I get an instantaneous crash to desktop of the entire program. I've tried adding new layers to try it on and it still crashes. Just tried that again and sure enough it crashed. It worked perfectly without any lag on a dense mesh in Surface Mode though...

//edit

solved on version 4.9.15

Edited by Carlosan

• Reputable Contributor
On 9/24/2019 at 1:03 AM, L'Ancien Regime said:

For me, in 4.9 there's this Paint Room bug. If I take an object in surface mode into the paint room the Fill tool works perfectly, instantly, as do all the paint tools. But if I Autopo an object, UV map it, bake it out into layers and then take it into the Paint Room  and try to use the Fill tool on it, I get an instantaneous crash to desktop of the entire program. I've tried adding new layers to try it on and it still crashes. Just tried that again and sure enough it crashed. It worked perfectly without any lag on a dense mesh in Surface Mode though...

I get the same thing for the last few versions, systematically, without exception.
And it is not just the fill tool. As soon as I touch the paint layers with any tool, the crash occurs. Luckily, I get promted to save the file before 3dc shuts down.
When I reopen all works fine.
Now I got used to saving the file after baking, closing 3dc myself and reopening the file to paint.

//edit

solved on version 4.9.15

Edited by Carlosan

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, lesaint said:

I get the same thing for the last few versions, systematically, without exception.
And it is not just the fill tool. As soon as I touch the paint layers with any tool, the crash occurs. Luckily, I get promted to save the file before 3dc shuts down.
When I reopen all works fine.
Now I got used to saving the file after baking, closing 3dc myself and reopening the file to paint.

Exactly. Now that I think about it the entire paint room goes cranky when I try to paint on a UV'd polygonal mesh.  You have to do a save and then reopen the file to paint.  I didn't mention it till now because for some time I was blaming myself for my own ineptitude but recent experiments in the paint room with microvertex painting on surface mode sculptures has shown me the true state of affairs.

• Advanced Member

I also got a bug importing multiple objs from file menu-import multiple, the assets enter the scene but they look damaged. Scene scale has something to do maybe?

The latest version is very good actually lots of stuff that were not working seem to work now, cool! Keep it up

Edited by micro26