3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

12 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

Hi, 

Most of my shaders  behave strangely in .6 plus the real time renderer is weird and indescribable..the nice render was in the .2 beta.

Graphics card is gtx1050 ti

The bottom image does look like its got a toon shader on it dosnt it, its not supposed to is there a special setting I might have activated by mistake?

Why have you posted those toon shaders ?

4 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

The renderer seems to be applying the new silhouette option to objects randomly. Even when the check box is set to zero. 

Very strange.
Unfortunately, I can not repeat your problem on my tests.
In the next version, the render will work more smoothly, slow down less.
Please send screenshots of the entire screen so that I can see what your settings are.
If it’s not difficult for you, you can send me your project so that I can render it with your settings and identify the problem

Hey I am testing out the 4906.

Bug: In the Layer Panel at the very bottom. You can see that the Icons are there. "Quick actions  I like to call them "   Anyways the bug " Symmetry is missing.

Bug:I get a lot a real low 9 .. fps in paint mode if I am painting on the mesh direct from the Sculpt. In 4905 I did not have this problem and the mesh size was 100-milion ( ~up to 300 FPS ) Got a 1080 / i9780XE  64GBram, ssd etc.. custom made by myself :))  ( spitted and I do not lag ).

As I mention before in 4905 have made it the best Bug (Almost Free ) Update to 3DCoat since I have bought it. Since I am not using "Larger  Programs like Maya or Blender" I do Kind of wish 3DCoat would add maybe a few more things.
Import Pre-Textured objects in the scene for editing/ Rendering and while keeping the mesh already build in the scene.  Sometimes I would like to just color all at the same time. Then Export each Mesh separately with Textures.  Idk would be cool. Lights with Pivot points would be really cool. You can render really well inside of 3DCoat and use the Render lights to bake in lighting texture on the Painted Mesh Surface, thus making it become logical to do this with multiple Imported Meshes that can also be together processed.

I will give an example in the real world: If you Spray-Paint you have a area of range where the paint spray will hit its location while pointing to it, simple if you get closer you may get less Randomness and the lines become sharper.

This effect is if you are paint spraying multiple parts, and some are closer and further away. Some will get more paint others not.

I think it is so cool to step back and observe how great 3DCoat as a App is and how far it has become.

Really like the new Icons, but I would make them Darker.  It is hard to see them as buttons-icons to press. Make it darker and while pressed lighter.  Then you even get a cool Futuristic " Flat design, but with a Twist :) "

Thank you.

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member
28 minutes ago, carrots said:

Very strange.
Unfortunately, I can not repeat your problem on my tests.
In the next version, the render will work more smoothly, slow down less.
Please send screenshots of the entire screen so that I can see what your settings are.
If it’s not difficult for you, you can send me your project so that I can render it with your settings and identify the problem

I just did a quick test with some fresh models , it rendered not too badly but minus shadows ( not ticked off in  the options so should appear) 

I think I am narrowing the problem down to my own edited shaders, the default ones seem to work though Ive not been through them all.

I think I will hang on for the next beta and if the probs persist I wil sort out a scene  for investigative purposes. 

I will go back to .2 for my impending client job. If I get some free time I will  play a bit more with it. Thanks

Try this shader, seems to be the main culprit, it light grey but appear black in the render.

Dodgy Shader.3dcpack

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

I just did a quick test with some fresh models , it rendered not too badly but minus shadows ( not ticked off in  the options so should appear) 

I think I am narrowing the problem down to my own edited shaders, the default ones seem to work though Ive not been through them all.

I think I will hang on for the next beta and if the probs persist I wil sort out a scene  for investigative purposes. 

I will go back to .2 for my impending client job. If I get some free time I will  play a bit more with it. Thanks

Try this shader, seems to be the main culprit, it light grey but appear black in the render.

Dodgy Shader.3dcpack

Thank you very much, I realized what the problem is.
I'll think about how to make the old shaders render normally too.

Load/Save windows dialog appears behind main screen bug in 4.9.06A windows 64bit GL .
Select full screen (alt + enter )
Load/Save a curve, object,material, etc and load or save windows dialog appears behind the 3d coat main screen.
you need to alt+tab to make it appear. 

@carrots

Hi

11. The light sources from the panorama now have a different density depending on the brightness, which allows you to quickly get a good result and clear, detailed shadows that convey the shape of the light source, glow from the sun, etc. (the custom panoramas need to be reimported that the light sources recalculated correctly)

Still brightness is very hard (screen capture from Paint Room). 

Render room values exposure/environment light = 100 make it impossible to work. (Sculpt shader used for this test is metal)

environment.jpg

Exposure.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@carrots

Hi

11. The light sources from the panorama now have a different density depending on the brightness, which allows you to quickly get a good result and clear, detailed shadows that convey the shape of the light source, glow from the sun, etc. (the custom panoramas need to be reimported that the light sources recalculated correctly)

Still brightness is very hard (screen capture from Paint Room). 

Render room values exposure/environment light = 100 make it impossible to work. (Sculpt shader used for this test is metal)

This change does not apply to the contrast of the brightness of reflections, they are strictly balanced according to the PBR standard, GGX, pxrDisney, Marmoset, etc.
This change affects the speed of rendering and the quality of the shadows.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

the little plus sign next to a vox layer that has sub layers is missing
image.png.3fa07ac894441c34b365d48e8f758e8f.png

Also, in Retopo room, it was already frustrating that all the tools like invert, hide, etc are not available when you have the Select tool active.
You first had/have to make your selection with the select tool and then you need to switch to the edge loops tool in order to get the relevant tools to appear under "selected".

Now it is more difficult, because you can have a different selection mode with the select tool and the edge loop tool.
So let's say under edge loop you have "edges" as selection mode.
You go to the select tool and use "faces". you make a selection, then switch to the edge loops tool, and your selection is gone, because you were not in the same selection mode.

Edited by lesaint

I've had a couple of crashes related to reference images. When I first Installed 4.9.06 I tried loading some reference images and it crashed on Z and on X, then Y was worked. After that all three worked fine and everything was alright for a while last night. Then today I was working on the project and clicked Edit Reference Images and it crashed. I've reported the crashes.

@carrots Thx for your reply

This change does not apply to the contrast of the brightness of reflections, 

Which changes are you thinking to perform to solve this issue ? Any plans ?

Please look this example using Silver Metal SmartMaterial over the basic sphere on Paint Room.

Highlights on any Environment panorama maps are overexposed, reflections over every mesh make it impossible to see details.

SmartMaterialSilver.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

@carrots Thx for your reply

This change does not apply to the contrast of the brightness of reflections, 

Which changes are you thinking to perform to solve this issue ? Any plans ?

Please look this example using Silver Metal SmartMaterial over the basic sphere on Paint Room.

Highlights on any Environment panorama maps are overexposed, reflections over every mesh make it impossible to see details.

Alternatively, you can simply use a softer panorama.
Well, there’s also a good idea as an option, we can make it so that in the render settings you can replace the selected shader settings, this will allow you to make different presets with the most suitable shaders for sculpting, texturing, final render and quickly switch between them.

Alternatively, in the future we can do additional gamma settings in the render preset.

• Reputable Contributor
15 minutes ago, carrots said:

Alternatively, you can simply use a softer panorama.
Well, there’s also a good idea as an option, we can make it so that in the render settings you can replace the selected shader settings, this will allow you to make different presets with the most suitable shaders for sculpting, texturing, final render and quickly switch between them.

Alternatively, in the future we can do additional gamma settings in the render preset.

In the new render engine work, it would be great to have EMISSIVE materials/shaders to be light sources...like it is with the Renderman integration

Garden Tomb_Test_01a.jpg

• Like 1

@carrots Sorry but check this

noemotions_net_ParkE.hdr is the original file from inet.

05-20_Park_E.exr is the file found inside Panoramas folders.

Are not identical.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you help me please ? I cant understand how this lights interact on every workspace. Thx

------------------------------------------

At the top of the viewport there are buttons you can drag to adjust the lighting.

- at Paint workspace

- Adjust Contrast = 0-100 only works if doble click, but it is not working if we drag values using LMB. Which light parameter is contrast ? Means Decay Rate ?

- Environment Texture used to illuminate the scene: on Paint Workspace (as example) user cant control the visibility/opacity of the environment textures in the background of the viewport but Without impact on the lighting of the scene.

- Environment Exposure: missed. The exposure value (EV) is a number that represents a fixed scene luminance. This setting allows to offset the default luminance value. User cant control it currently.

- Primary light = 0-294. What is PL , Headlight, spotlight ? and why this Intensity values ?

- Questions:

How user can control this:

Penumbra Angle: The angle (in degrees) from the edge of the spot light's beam over which the intensity of the spot light falls off linearly to zero. 

Cone Angle: The angle (in degrees) from edge to edge of the spot light’s beam.

Cast Shadows: on/off control is on sculpt workspace > geometry. Why not to group all light settings on one display location ?

- Ambient Light: cant find any control for ambient light.

- Rotation: Controls the horizontal rotation of the environment texture or PLight.

- Environment Blur: Controls how sharp or blurry the environment texture will appear in the background of the viewport. This settings has no impact on the lighting.

- at Render workspace

- Contrast: Has impact on rendered image

- Primary light: Has impact on rendered image

Option: Use panorama as Environment. How impact the render ?

Exposition = 0-300 (why numbers and not EVs ?) How impact the render ?

Environment Light = 0-100 How impact the render ?

Extra Lights: How impact the render ?

- Shadows opacity: missed. Controls how much the Shadows will be visible in the scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To much options but how they interact? is not easy.

Is very difficult to have full control. We spend to much trial and error time to understand how it work and to find good settings.

05-20_Park_E.zip

noemotions_net_ParkE.zip

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

@carrots 

- Adjust Contrast = 0-100 only works if doble click, but it is not working if we drag values using LMB. Which light parameter is contrast ? Means Decay Rate ?

- Environment Texture used to illuminate the scene: on Paint Workspace (as example) user cant control the visibility/opacity of the environment textures in the background of the viewport but Without impact on the lighting of the scene.

- Environment Exposure: missed. The exposure value (EV) is a number that represents a fixed scene luminance. This setting allows to offset the default luminance value. User cant control it currently.

Thank you, yes, this is a bug, I have not noticed this before.
I will fix it in the next build.

• Advanced Member

I've been having an issue in 4.9.06A, my large 3b file (10.8 GB) crashes the program. In 4.9.04 (the last version I have) loads fine with no issue. I have 64 GB of ram so it shouldn't be a memory issue on my end as 4.9.04 works.

Its appears to load for awhile then I get a crash popup window which looks like the call stack included:

image.thumb.png.e686ad562b4f11d6a591b19758209a25.png

I do hope a crash like this can be resolved, I submitted a report with the bug report pop up. This beta build pretty much blocks me from testing any large project files due to stability.

Side note on the new render section, not sure if its been mentioned before but I don't see an option to choose a custom render size output. The smallest output I have renders all my screens and I cannot just choose a custom value to render one window.

This is a minor problem and I think I saw it mentioned before, but not sure if it was addressed or not.

The voxel Build brush doesn't behave correctly as it draws out over a curved surface, unless Steady Stroke is enabled. The image is pretty self explanatory. Again, since it works as it should with Steady Stroke, it's not a big deal, but I  thought I should point it out.

BuildBrushBug-2A.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

When you navigate in render room using traditional navigation, it temporarily disables realtime rendering, which is good.

On the other hand, if you navigate with the SpaceNavigator, it remains in realtime, which means that you really can't navigate unless you disable realtime render by hand.

Also there seems to be no way to "lock environement" in the render room ? not sure of the terminology, what I mean is that when you rotate the camera, the lighting rotates too, so that the shadows move depending on camera position.
I find that to be very confusing, but I guess I must be missing something obvious.

Edited by lesaint
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@carrots Sorry but check this

Adjust Contrast = 0-100 only works if doble click, but it is not working if we drag values using LMB. Which light parameter is contrast ? Means Decay Rate ?

Adjust contrast works here.
However, when opening a saved scene, 3dc does not seem to always remember the double click setting : I always use high contrast, but some scenes keep opening in low contrast

• Reputable Contributor

4.9.06A GL (with beta tools and sculpt layers activated in preferences)
Selecting a strip with the voxel tool "Build" results in a crash.
I am prompted to save the scene, but the file is not actually saved.
All settings and keyboard shortcuts are lost.

Edited by lesaint

• Reputable Contributor

In sculpt room, Along with triangle count at the bottom of the screen, it would be useful to also have vertices count, in order to get an idea of how much information you are going to be storing in your mesh when doing vertex painting.

For example, if you know that you are going to use a 2048x2048 texture in the end, you want your sculpt to have at the very least 4 million vertices.

Edited by lesaint

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry if this is too much, unwanted feedback ?

3dc 4.8.06A GL (with sculpt layers activated) doesn't let me paint on my sculpt mesh when a lowpoly is visible in the paint room.
Locking the paint object (low poly) doesn't help.
Only when the paint object is made invisible does 3dc allow painting on the high poly.