3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member

Think I found a new bug with UV sets in paint room. If I have a custom texture UV size that is not a square (like 3072x2048) and I try to paint anything in the 2D view with the brush I cannot paint anything. Also if I use like stamp drag mode and rotate the brush by 90 degrees it only rotates by 45 and is very skewed in 2D too. Once I set the custom UV set to one of the standard options (1024, 2048, etc) everything is paintable and works again. Everything is ok in 3D View though with a custom texture size.

NOTE: Importing textures to a custom texture size works fine, seems to just be the 2D view very broken. Hope this can be fixed.

Edited by Mystical

6 hours ago, Ascensi said:

@Andrew Shpagin

Feedback on export constructor 32 Bit EXR Grey-based, not normalized VS non export constructor 32 Bit EXR Grey-based, not normalized

• both are monochrome red (awesome)
  • but! the 32 Bit EXR Grey-based from export constructor produces spikes (its vivid or stronger contrast) but the non export constructor 32 Bit EXR Grey-based works perfectly!

At the moment I'm using 3DCoat DX version and was trying to understand why my files were coming out spiky again after you suggested that i should be using the export constructor.

So initially when you created the fix it worked but I wasn't using export constructor. When I was using export constructor 4k EXR worked fine but not for 16k and with 16K in general  I had to reduce the multiplier from 1.0 to .5 to get it to scale properly  Export constructor has other color information and you can see it if you increase the levels in photoshop but if you increase the levels on the file without export constructor you will see the whole image get dull and bright.

389803648_ExportConstructor-issue.thumb.jpg.5f61e3d70c388458081079076772b751.jpg

I noticed that the  Texture baker doesn't have the "Auto Smooth Groups angle" option, is this automatically applied when baked?  I have projects that were not set with the smoothing angle that they need.. are they irreparable???? I wanted to bake them to a new/better mesh and use displacement but many of the projects didn't have smooth groups enabled.

When you have the time would you mind adding an option to rotate the HDR enviroments Vertically?  I'd like to be able to work on painting underneath the model.. I tried flipping a map in the past in Photoshop but it didn't work for me. 

Also if you're looking for some breakthrough ideas to outshine competitors, may I suggest the option of having "procedural animation  materials type" that can be baked but allow use to paint these animated procedurals while also seeing them animated but have the option for play/stop. There are some very fast Video codecs that the game engines have integrated like (HEVC) I don't know if that is ideal/plausible but it's a concept.

Please ensure that Gamma in export constructor is 1.0. 

If gamma is 1.0 then bot export files are identical.

Regarding normalmap - please try several different normalmap export presets in Preferences, which of them is compatible.

There's a problem with the latest releases: when using "0_oldschool_Paint" it doesn't use the color channel, the spec and depth channels appear to work, but the color no longer functions. when you use a different PBR material, you can see the color that SHOULD have been applied on the edges though. This happened in 4.9.11 as well, btw.

IDK if it matters but my specs are:

Ryzen 7 2700x

32g ram

gtx 1070

image.png.a9b97cdbd32f6d30091a2d157d03ff35.png

Edited by Hdharris
clarification

• Contributor
9 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please ensure that Gamma in export constructor is 1.0. 

If gamma is 1.0 then bot export files are identical.

Regarding normalmap - please try several different normalmap export presets in Preferences, which of them is compatible.

Gamma is already set to 1 R,G,B, unless there is another area besides preferences to set this.    I don't know if it matters but this output is in DX Version , I don't know if export constructor is completely matched in GL version. 

The maps generated are also not the same, if you look at the first red image above, your right side of it has vertical lines that are light but the export constructor texture does not, the export constructor version would have created those vertical lines with stronger definition as it seems everything  else in the texture is the same but darker. If you try to fix something there please don't change the non-export constructor output lol that's the one that is working!  Maybe export constructor Grey based is set to normalized and that is making it look darker?

The normal map issue is this:  an entire collection of textures/smart materials works fine and mixing another smart material set looked fine in 3DCoat but when exported it doesn't look right from the other company's smart material as I've shown in my examples.  I disabled the normal map in the  animation  program, although it became flat color the glitch was gone. It seems that something is being added to the normal map to cause lighting mismatch. The only difference between the different company's smart materials is that one collection isn't using the "curvature mask - more on convex with contrast -.300"  and the other collection is.  

Edited by Ascensi
more info

15 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Gamma is already set to 1 R,G,B, unless there is another area besides preferences to set this.    I don't know if it matters but this output is in DX Version , I don't know if export constructor is completely matched in GL version. 

The maps generated are also not the same, if you look at the first red image above, your right side of it has vertical lines that are light but the export constructor texture does not, the export constructor version would have created those vertical lines with stronger definition as it seems everything  else in the texture is the same but darker. If you try to fix something there please don't change the non-export constructor output lol that's the one that is working!  Maybe export constructor Grey based is set to normalized and that is making it look darker?

The normal map issue is this:  an entire collection of textures/smart materials works fine and mixing another smart material set looked fine in 3DCoat but when exported it doesn't look right from the other company's smart material as I've shown in my examples.  I disabled the normal map in the  animation  program, although it became flat color the glitch was gone. It seems that something is being added to the normal map to cause lighting mismatch. The only difference between the different company's smart materials is that one collection isn't using the "curvature mask - more on convex with contrast -.300"  and the other collection is.  

Please send me the export preset you made. Possibly I will find the reason of strange things. Use File->Create extension.

• Advanced Member

Hi there !

What do you meant with :

- Correct cavity baking for stacked islands in the UV map.

I think jit's only about baking cavity from a highpoly to a lowpoly, but I was wondering about a fix for curvature/AO bakes on stacked UV islands (highly visible on tile plane). It would be magical being able to use only 3DCoat for a whole tiling texture process instead of having to send your normalmap outside, generate a clean curvature/AO, and import it back to 3DCoat. It's a bit frustrating since you bakings are damn fast and beautiful compared to other softwares, and since you don't do just AO/curvature bakes, that would be so good to benefit of the full power of 3DCoat from start to the end of a texture =)

That said, there's a lot of workaround and I understand how priorities works for a dev team, I also want to tell you guys that your software is still deep in my heart, thanks a lot for making 3DCoat

Edited by Vexod14
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 11/29/2019 at 5:27 PM, animk said:

4.9.12  Absolute & Gum tools are acting weird under vertex line & vertex curves modes.  Tools are still activated after stroke is done.

Edit: it's not the tools,  it's vertex line & vertex curves modes acting weird with almost any tools .  

On 11/18/2019 at 6:09 AM, insignet said:

test_d_Depth.jpg

If Im saving out fog mask or a depth pass etc.... the output has banding on it from dark to light. I've tried to raise the samples etc but I can't get rid of them.

2.11.2019 4.9.12 BF4 (stable)

- Fixed problem when smart material/fill thumbnail was patrial for sculpting objects.

- fixed crash in primitives if items selected from models list.

- Support of multiple lines of folders in the items list. The maximal amount may be changed in Edit->Preferences->Theme->Max. amount of lines in the folders list.

- Retopo via decimation restored, RMB over selected performs over selected, RMB over not selected decimates just one object.

- fixed strange floating elements in gizmo

- Possibility to drag&drop VoxTree objects, retopo objects to the Pens palette.

- Color HDR-s import finally fixed

• Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

I'm still on 4.912 so maybe those have been fixed.

There are new problems with the retopo room.

In the retopo objects panel you often can't select a different object. You have to change rooms and come back to the retopo room to get it unstuck.

It was already very annoying that when you use the select tool to select faces, none of the useful tools of what you can do with the selection are visible. You have to select the edge loops tool to get tools to appear under selected.
Now, however, it's getting worse : Invert selection doesn't work anymore. It just deselects everything !

Edited by lesaint
typo

• Advanced Member

4.9.12BF3 was not stable at all for me. sent 2 bug reports (forgot to enter my email for one).

Uninstalled and reinstalled v05 and same bugs werent really there.

So I uninstalled v05, deleted all other files except the licence.

Installed BF4 and will test that now.

Will post again if I encounter the same problems again.

Final Edit :) - CTRLZ is not working normally for the voxel mode carve tool. when drawn away into empty space ctrlz deletes the base mesh (instead of the last drawn) or leaves stray voxels which can later be deleted manually by smoothing etc later.

back to v05.

Cheers 

Edited by Koray
same bug

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

As i know was solve on latest version... isnt it ?

28.11.2019 4.9.12[stable]

- Drag&drop models/items for pens/strips/models/splines restored

Hi,  I installed Beta 12 BF4 and it is now working!  But the version number at the top line of the 3d coat window still says 12 ? Should it  say 12 bf4? Or is that what it is supposed to say ?

• Like 1

Been having fun testing all the betas. Noticed the line-type stroke modes are actively re-applied when moving the mouse after making the first stroke. (make a line stroke, then move the mouse as you go to make another, you can see the frame rate drop as it continually re-evaluates the first stroke )
----------
I have started in the Retopo room on occasion to do rough polygonal modeling. I then use Import in the sculpt room to pull the mesh in and get a nice subdivision surface to work on. I think that's really cool and would do that more often except I can't "preview" the subdivision surface as I'm working in the retopo room. If some sort of "subdivision preview" was added to the retopo room, people could totally use 3dcoat as it stands for polygonal modeling.
----------
These are some suggestions after thinking about some of the vox sculpt tools. Maybe a bad idea I don't know. Here are the behaviors of 4 similar tools in Vox Sculpt mode using "On-Plane"
If we are using something like "Point and Forward Direction" to set the plane and we consider actions along the plane normal moving towards the camera as "Facing" and the opposite direction as "Away" (see attached image), here are what the tools do:

TOOL       ||   DEFAULT ACTION   |   INVERSE ACTION      |  BRUSH STROKES   |  LASSO STROKES
....................................................................................................................................................................................
Plane        ||   Removes Facing        |   Adds Away              |  Yes                            |  missing in 4.9
2D-Paint   ||   Adds Facing               |   Removes Away       |  Yes                            |  missing in 4.9
Sphere      ||   Adds Facing               |   Removes Facing    |  Yes                             |  Yes
Blob          ||   Adds Facing                |   Adds Facing           |  No                              |  Yes

Given this data we know:
- We don't need Blob if we have Sphere.
- Plane can do everything 2D-Paint can do, it just does it in the opposite direction. 

Suggested simplifications:
-  Merge 2D-Paint and Plane as one tool ("Planar"?) and add a "Flip Plane Normal" toggle to the on-plane tool options dialogue. And add lasso modes :)
- Depreciate Blob in exchange for Sphere

normals.png

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin @carrots  Before moving onto any new features could you please update the Texture Baker Tool?  I'd like to be able to bake out several projects each additionally needing the AO, metal, roughness and displacement.. the EXR Grey Based is the export constructor version that doesn't work for iClone,  - produces too strong displacement.. I hope at least a dropdown is added so we can just select the type and method (export constructor and no export Constructor) then the format and type. 

Edited by Ascensi

I have lot of problems with newest release 4.9.12 (GL64) . It hangs and crashes a lot. It crashes when calculating curvature in paint room and many other things just crashing program. What I should try to fix those.. any idea?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Rela-x said:

I have lot of problems with newest release 4.9.12 (GL64) . It hangs and crashes a lot. It crashes when calculating curvature in paint room and many other things just crashing program. What I should try to fix those.. any idea?

Is it crashing with one particular file, and not others? Sometimes there can be a problem with the mesh or UV's you don't see. The best way to eliminate that as a possibility is to test a scene from the Splash Screen. If it's still behaving the same way with one of those, then it's likely some kind of bug. However, sometimes it's a driver, either your graphics card or wacom tablet.

Try closing the app > delete the OPTIONS.XML file from the "MyDocs/3DCoat 4.9" directory (as it can get corrupted once in a while and exhibit bug like behavior) > re-install the build > update your graphic card and wacom drivers, if they aren't already > Open the app and test a scene/model from the splash screen.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Rela-x said:

...oh, and try the DX version, instead of the GL. I find it to be more stable than GL.

• Like 1

• Contributor
10 hours ago, Rela-x said:

Increase your virtual memory to 25 GB or so.. also try disabling and layers like AO that the curvature doesn't need when calculating.. when I deal with big projects sometimes I have to disable the painted layer to generate an AO layer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rela-x said:

Thank you :) I'll try those things :) 

Still crashing, but works better I think. Trying to figure out what's wrong in my system. Last stable build for my computer seems to be 4.9.05

Also wondering how to fix shading in render room. :blush:

shading.jpg.5b4f3809871e31565395fe992740ac82.jpg

• Like 1