3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

On 2/8/2020 at 9:45 AM, Mihu83 said:

Version 4.9.23 - tooth paste tools destroys mesh in voxel mode(holes, etc.)

Also, in last couple of versions, 3DC doesn't work well with 3DConnexion, especialy in Render Room with Real Time Render enabled - everything gets blurry with even tiny movement.

Just tested in 4.9.05 and it works without problem.

I have that problem too sometimes, even just with a mouse. So I often just turn off the real-time while I'm rotating.

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I have that problem too sometimes, even just with a mouse. So I often just turn off the real-time while I'm rotating.

Well, holding RMB works ok for me. I don't like to disable RTR, especialy with high poly meshes - Render Room becomes a bit sluggish, enable/disable can be really annoying.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 2/2/2020 at 1:50 PM, Rygaard said:

Brush Base:
1) Presets Problems:
All my previously saved BaseBrush presets are coming with the value of PlaneOffset = 0 (one slide). Both for Regular and for Ctrl Action.

image.png.5dddf5677200ef03a509bdd561705e57.png

2) Using Clay Brush,  negative values in Degree,  cause strange behaviors in geometry. Or I don't understand what negative numbers for Degree are for using Clay Brush.
image.thumb.png.86cab38b68fd3beb45db9791cbbe0d3f.png

.23 (base)Clay brush.  Is CTRL Action supposed to invert?  Right now it doesn't seem to do anything.

Edited by animk

• Contributor
58 minutes ago, animk said:

.23 (base)Clay brush.  Is CTRL Action supposed to invert?  Right now it doesn't seem to do anything.

In version .23, CTRL Action already works automatically (digging) the geometry.

For you to have the effect you are looking for, in Regular mode, you can activate Plane Offset (with the mouse icon - a single slide) and enter a value above 1.0 manually by typing in the field.

In my tests, when you set the value of the plane Offset = 1.0, the Brush digging (CTRL Action) will be similar to a Flatten Brush or something that you won't dig right. It will be the way you said it.

So, when you set the Plane Offset to > 1.5 or 2.0 automatically you will have the strongest digging behavior, just the way you are looking for (just find a value good for you).

You will not need to enter in CTRL Action mode and use the "Copy Settings from the" Regular "button.
You will only do something like this if you want to make a more specific configuration that achieves your goal.
If this is the case, you only have to enter a negative number (-2.0, -3.0) in the Plane Offset.

I particularly just set a higher value in Planne Offset and automatically Ctrl Action will do the digging normally.

Edited by Rygaard

• Contributor

I would like to say that 3D-Coat is having problems with the surface of the geometry in Voxels Mode, most Voxels brushes and tools like:
Snake, Muscle, Toothpaste, Spike are causing strange problems that appear in the geometry.
Even when you use SHIFT to smooth the surface.

voxels_problems.thumb.JPG.a49a7870513cd5cd9ddc4288382b0eb6.JPG

- Another important thing to comment is that the performance in the Voxels is very slow even (almost impossible to sculpt) with 500 thousand polygons (using Grow Brush, Clay Brush and others).

This is something I've never seen happen. In 4.9.20 I made this rock object. Used auto-retopo on it, then auto seams, unwrapped, and baked. In the paint room it looks great. But when I try to paint on it with depth all the seams pull apart. Sounds like a bug to me.

rock_glitch.png

• Reputable Contributor
12 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

This is something I've never seen happen. I made this rock object. Used auto-retopo on it, then auto seams, unwrapped, and baked. In the paint room it looks great. But when I try to paint on it with depth all the seams pull apart. Sounds like a bug to me.

Make sure that "show displaced mesh" is unchecked in view menu image.png.7018b19139b2de522116f47fb7bd30cd.png

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 4.9 <Open BETA> testing thread
  • Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Rygaard said:

In version .23, CTRL Action already works automatically (digging) the geometry.

For you to have the effect you are looking for, in Regular mode, you can activate Plane Offset (with the mouse icon - a single slide) and enter a value above 1.0 manually by typing in the field.

In my tests, when you set the value of the plane Offset = 1.0, the Brush digging (CTRL Action) will be similar to a Flatten Brush or something that you won't dig right. It will be the way you said it.

So, when you set the Plane Offset to > 1.5 or 2.0 automatically you will have the strongest digging behavior, just the way you are looking for (just find a value good for you).

You will not need to enter in CTRL Action mode and use the "Copy Settings from the" Regular "button.
You will only do something like this if you want to make a more specific configuration that achieves your goal.
If this is the case, you only have to enter a negative number (-2.0, -3.0) in the Plane Offset.

I particularly just set a higher value in Planne Offset and automatically Ctrl Action will do the digging normally.

Thanks for the explanation.  It solved my problem.

• Contributor

BaseBrush:
- Testing with ClayBrush = Strange delay behavior when rotating the camera's viewing angle:
The following problem is happening to me, every time I'm sculpting, and when I'm going to rotate the camera (ALT + Left Click (wacom pen) navigation) to continue sculpting from another angle of view, there is a very strong lagging, in the which the FPS drops sharply and then returns to normal.
This strange behavior is very fast, but it does cause a wrong stroke that the user would not want to do.

This lagging behavior is also happening in Surface Mode brushes. I believe that the reason for this is exclusively when the user uses ALT + Click to rotate.

Edited by Rygaard

15.02.20 4.9.24 [beta]

- The new level of quality and speed in realtime cloth simulation in 3D-Coat.

- Fixed Retopo -> Connect for vertices, now each pair of vertices split face only once per operation, it allows to create edge loops in sequence Edges->Cut->Connect.

- Preventing the unexpected voxelization of the mesh during the autosave.

- Fixed Angulator modifier in no-buildup mode.

- Holes problem fixed in toothpaste tool.

- Fill holes tool recovered.

- Default presets included, distributed by folders.

• Like 2

• Contributor

I started testing the new beta now, and I have the following bugs and the 3d-coat Craches:

1) When you choose the Voxels mode in the initial window and choose a sphere. The sphere appears normally, but if you go to the File / New menu, and not Save the file, 3D-Coat immediately became unstable and CRASH.

image.thumb.png.b796fff1a1268da7a8683ff10e7d0c7f.png

2) I was testing the Cloth Tool and when I pressed the Subdivide button for the third or fourth time (I don't remember), 3D-Coat immediately became unstable and Crash.
image.thumb.png.f46d7453e4671c5d7a0ce1a36ba152d7.png

Edited by Rygaard

• Contributor

- Snake Tool:
When you use a low value in Smoothing Speed, is it normal to have several holes in the geometry or is that a possible bug?
1714543961_snaketoolpossiblebug.thumb.JPG.a24e323490d3f10a6e4c95ec6b323157.JPG

- Vox.Clay:

Vox.Clay is ignoring any Brush tip (alphas) I choose. And the result on the mesh surface is this strange behavior. Looking like I'm using an alpha that has a procedural noise.
vox_clay.thumb.jpg.b9be152a381097338550bd2d46df6795.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor
53 minutes ago, Rygaard said:

When you choose the Voxels mode in the initial window and choose a sphere. The sphere appears normally, but if you go to the File / New menu, and not Save the file, 3D-Coat immediately became unstable and CRASH.

This big problem is also happening when you are in surface mode.
I believe that whenever the user goes to the File / New menu ... and I choose not to save the file, immediately 3d-coat becomes unstable and Crash.

• Contributor

- Geometries from Retopo Room -> Sculpt Room with possible problem:

1) I used Autopo to generate a new mesh structure in Retopo Room.

2) In Sculpt Room, I used the command Geometry / Retopo Mesh -> Sculpt Mesh to start sculpting again.

3) I used the RES + command to subdivide the mesh until it reached 4 million TRIS. Then, I chose my Clay Brush - Surface Mode (not the Base Brushes Clay Brush), with a Rectangular Brush Tip (alpha) that has blur applied. As you can see, each brush stroke
of the Clay Brush is completely pixelated or with stair treads.

image.thumb.png.b1ec723c4ba7f2d9081a2c4796a91617.png

4) So, I created a new layer in VoxTree, and in this new layer selected, I again used the command Retopo Mesh / Sculpt Mesh, I used RES + to subdivide the mesh into 4 million TRIS and this time, I pressed the ENTER KEY " to convert to Voxels "and I configured the same number of 4 million TRIS.

5) I selected the same Clay Brush with Square Brush Tip and Blur applied, and the result as you can see are smooth brush strokes without any kind of pixelated effect.

image.thumb.png.c0d8c56c203bd6951e23b08d1b74be3b.png

6) For the sake of comparison, I placed the two different mesh structures side by side. The first is the mesh coming from the Retopo Room and the second is the mesh coming from the Retopo Room, but converted into Voxels by the ENTER KEY.
image.thumb.png.35e5c59abf1b52daa0462a6bcedebdbe.png

I believe that there is some kind of problem with the geometries coming from the Retopo Room to the Sculpt Room.

• Contributor
8 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Thanks for reporting! Fixed crashes, uploaded 4.9.25

3D-Coat version 4.9.25:

*** 1) Thanks for fixing the File / New Menu Crach problem.

The following problems still remain:
2) Cloth Tool = Up to the fourth subdivision there was no crach, but the simulation was extremely slow.

3) Voxels: Snake Tool =
Continues to have the same problem with the holes or malformations of the generated geometry.

4) Voxels: Vox.Clay =  Still have the same problem of not respecting the Brush Tip (alpha).

5) Voxels: Smudge Brush = It still has the same problem of generating or appearing strange rectangular voxels.

6) Geometries from Retopo Room to Sculpt Room = It continues with the same problem when using Surface Mode Brushes. The brushstrokes have a pixelated effect.

--------------------------------

*** Important:
Unfortunately, a very strange Lag is happening.
The problem is as follows:
After you rotate the camera (ALT + Left Click) and try to start sculpting again, there is a very strong loss of FPS and with that the first brushstroke after the rotation comes with delay and causes problems.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Testing symmetry on Base brush, found it working fine.

Try Edit > Reset settings

Resetting doesn't seem to work.

Symmetry on base brushes with "general case axis" is working fine when the object is at origin.

Try move the object away from origin,  use base brush with "general case axis" (in my case z axis).  It is where the symmetry is not working.

Capture3.JPG

Edited by animk