Jump to content
3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 Open Beta testing thread

Recommended Posts

I used the Objectify (Separate objects) command by right clicking on a layer in VoxTree.
For a simple two-object operation in which a pyramid was within a sphere.
Here 3d-coat 06 crashed my entire computer and it took a long time for my computer to respond again.
That's because I had to use windows "End Process" to close 3d-coat.
I don't know if that was a case apart for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andrew, having a lot of crashes baking AO in a 16k project. i have 32 GB ram, over 60 gb of HD, using an i7, RTX 2080Ti with NVidia studio drivers, nothing loaded except 3Dcoat..

PPP mode,  windows 10/64 using OpenGL Coat. One bug was emailed.. I was aiming to see if the 16k UV bug was neutralized but 3Dcoat keeps crashing -used double the default light count.. started with 16x anti-aliasing then 4x.. I was always able to do 4x AA with double light count but not anymore. When 3DCoat recovers it retains a new locked AO layer but setting this to modulate 2x stays at the same default brightness.. is that normal? Setting a high quality baked AO map set to emission helps me see if the generated UVs contain seams like it has shown me in past builds.

Thank you for your work!!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work guys.

I am missing the dropdown options in the pose tool. Did I miss something or is this a bug?
 

3dc_pose.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just seeing this now and looking at all the screenshots. They look fantastic! I'll download right away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Werner_Z said:

Great work guys.

I am missing the dropdown options in the pose tool. Did I miss something or is this a bug?
 

3dc_pose.gif

You might have to delete the OPTIONS.XML file (from MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT 4.9 folder) and restart. It might have gotten corrupted, somehow, because the list menu works properly on my end (Windows)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

You might have to delete the OPTIONS.XML file (from MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT 4.9 folder) and restart. It might have gotten corrupted, somehow, because the list menu works properly on my end (Windows)

 

That worked. Thanks AbnRanger.

There are other areas that is still broken. like missing  curves in Voxel mode. They are available only in Surface mode at the moment.3DC_curves.thumb.jpg.df0c2945af634487c03222f3995ac573.jpg

3DC_curves_05.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to the displacement artifacts from UV creation, here is the typical glitches I've been seen and was confirmed by Carlosan. This has been going on for over a year! i don't know how people are able to sell what they create, I haven't been able to finish any work because of this and although i love 3DCoat in concept and design I keep wondering if I should move on to a different paint program to do this task.

 image.thumb.png.4f28a547db9c68d2b65fcc558898813a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Adding to the displacement artifacts from UV creation, here is the typical glitches I've been seen and was confirmed by Carlosan. This has been going on for over a year! i don't know how people are able to sell what they create, I haven't been able to finish any work because of this and although i love 3DCoat in concept and design I keep wondering if I should move on to a different paint program to do this task.

 image.thumb.png.4f28a547db9c68d2b65fcc558898813a.png

This image shows what they look like  after ambient occlusion is generated.. this is using the default light count.

image.thumb.png.ac97ecd1d0b2b49a0f3c1467753ea1e9.png

 

Usually increasing the light count or using anti-aliasing option reduces the artifacts on the AO side but displacement glitches show as spikes like the image below

 

image.thumb.png.9aa577494f0c18ef1e3bffd139334173.png

Edited by Ascensi
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, can someone tell how to set alpha channel in render room, to render object without background? Also, is there option to set custom render image size? I don't see this option in 4.9.06A.

Edited by Mihu83
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mihu83 said:

Hey guys, can someone tell how to set alpha channel in render room, to render object without background? Also, is there option to set custom render image size? I don't see this option in 4.9.06A.

image.png

All settings that do not require instant feedback display of changes in the preview window are transferred to a separate window which is called up by the "Settings" button.  

Most of the settings are now initially hidden, they are displayed only when other options are turned on, in the kit with which they may have some value

image.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lesaint said:

I was hoping the light bakijng tool might have been updated to bake reflections, but no :'(

However, I noticed this small display bug :

unknown.png.19b4eba987a8b6a98dec0b5dc47d3530.png

 Reflections cannot be baked correctly, because their position changes depending on the angle at which you look at the model. Perhaps in the next version we will do some imitation of baked reflections.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Hi Andrew, having a lot of crashes baking AO in a 16k project. i have 32 GB ram, over 60 gb of HD, using an i7, RTX 2080Ti with NVidia studio drivers, nothing loaded except 3Dcoat..

PPP mode,  windows 10/64 using OpenGL Coat. One bug was emailed.. I was aiming to see if the 16k UV bug was neutralized but 3Dcoat keeps crashing -used double the default light count.. started with 16x anti-aliasing then 4x.. I was always able to do 4x AA with double light count but not anymore. When 3DCoat recovers it retains a new locked AO layer but setting this to modulate 2x stays at the same default brightness.. is that normal? Setting a high quality baked AO map set to emission helps me see if the generated UVs contain seams like it has shown me in past builds.

Thank you for your work!!

 

 

 

 

 

 Thanks, I will test it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, carrots said:

 Reflections cannot be baked correctly, because their position changes depending on the angle at which you look at the model. Perhaps in the next version we will do some imitation of baked reflections.

Hello Carrots,
Thank you for your reply.

"some imitation" would be good enough. At present I use SP for it (google Substance painter light baking). it is the only thing I use SP for. Then I take the baked light map back into 3dc and paint over it when needed.
Apart from using it for cases when there is no PBR, it is also a good starting point for hand painting, and I think there is a lot of that being done.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carrots said:

 

All settings that do not require instant feedback display of changes in the preview window are transferred to a separate window which is called up by the "Settings" button.  

Most of the settings are now initially hidden, they are displayed only when other options are turned on, in the kit with which they may have some value

 

Thanks for clarification.

Two more things:

- is there any way to set custom size of render image, like in previous builds? It was entire screen or custom size if I remember correctly.

- render passes - is there something like clown pass or maybe I still need to make this in paint room, manually?

Edited by Mihu83
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carrots said:

 

 Thanks, I will test it.

I've updated my original post with additional images that show spikes along the seams using displacement whereas other areas are painted fine with displacement.. and without painting displacement it's visually obvious with an AO layer especially if you set that AO layer to Emissive with the scene lighting and background dark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mihu83 said:

Thanks for clarification.

Two more things:

- is there any way to set custom size of render image, like in previous builds? It was entire screen or custom size if I remember correctly.

- render passes - is there something like clown pass or maybe I still need to make this in paint room, manually?

Thank!

- There is no Clown pass yet, but the idea of adding it is a good one.

- Yes, you're right, I will return custom size in the next build.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The transform tool doesn't have an option to center on the bounding box ? did I imagine there was such a button before ?

Edited by lesaint
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@Werner_Z Some tools have access to curves, others no. Try changing tools.

Does this mean that the vox hide will no longer work with lasso / curves? Vox hide is one of the most powerful tools for a concept artist, but without a lasso it is useless.

I miss, option to align pivot to the center of the object in transform tool too.

In VoxTree I can't find the option to collapse the tree.

Also it hard to use scale control (green box) from side view now, because it's blocked with blue rotation control.

 

 

Скриншот 2019-10-23 14.49.53.jpg

Edited by g0ss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

My pop up tool tips do not appear to work in the .6 beta ,this includes my shaders and objects etc. They are checked in the prefs.

I had this problem, i deleted all the options .xml from the 3dcoat49 folder in documents. Then ran 3d coat and it was fine. However i`ve just reinstalled on another pc the 4.9.06A version and that was fine from installation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I tried deleting "options xml"  but just that one, which did not work. Should I just delete everthing that has "xml" next to it . I dont much about all this stuff Im wary of breaking something.:wacko:

 

 

xml.PNG

Edited by stusutcliffe
added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:
Quote

Thanks, I tried deleting "options xml"  but just that one, which did not work. Should I just delete everthing that has "xml" next to it . I dont much about all this stuff Im wary of breaking something.:wacko:

 

I just created a backup folder, and copied them all into there and re-ran 3d coat. Try all of them first,if it fixes it you could always copy them back out of the backup folder until the culprit is found. 

Edited by pr1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×