3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
14 hours ago, lesaint said:

In sculpt room, Along with triangle count at the bottom of the screen, it would be useful to also have vertices count, in order to get an idea of how much information you are going to be storing in your mesh when doing vertex painting.

For example, if you know that you are going to use a 2048x2048 texture in the end, you want your sculpt to have at the very least 4 million vertices.

Since they are triangles, you can multiply the number by 3. 10mill polys = 30mill vertices.

• Confused 1

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, lesaint said:

Sorry if this is too much, unwanted feedback ?

3dc 4.8.06A GL (with sculpt layers activated) doesn't let me paint on my sculpt mesh when a lowpoly is visible in the paint room.
Locking the paint object (low poly) doesn't help.
Only when the paint object is made invisible does 3dc allow painting on the high poly.

That's probably by design, I think. Makes sense to me that you would need to hide the low poly so you can see and paint on the high poly sculpt object.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@carrots I'll try to  send a screen shot later, but I'm getting alot of banding on the depth pass. I've raised the samples etc but I can't get a smooth result. Like I say - I'll post an image, just wondered if this was a known issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Yeah I also noticed a lot of the new icons are not clear with what they do and there was no tool tip to explain it.

Something to add to this. The new icon for toggling orthographic on/off, I find it difficult to tell which is which. With the old icon I could look at it and easily see what mode I was in.

• Reputable Contributor
25 minutes ago, pr1970 said:

Whilst on the subject of icons, its my pet peeve that whenever you enter some text you get this ugly old school windows text entry pop up. Really ruins the design of the interface imho

795923076_Annotation2019-10-25101232.png.36cd185a6921d0d67301b1a7df58bd67.png

I've never been bothered by it, and I use a bunch of different software. Never even thought anything of it, one way or the other, until you mentioned it. There are much bigger fish to fry, IMO, than text pop-up appearances. :D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I've never been bothered by it, and I use a bunch of different software. Never even thought anything of it, one way or the other, until you mentioned it. There are much bigger fish to fry, IMO, than text pop-up appearances. :D

i work with designers who have commented it whilst i`ve been showing them something, so now it bugs me as well  . it does look a bit unpolished when that pops up. But yes there are bigger fish to fry. Like a  search feature for materials,objects,etc ;-)

guys, not sure if anyone has noticed this, but in this latest beta has all the lasso tools greyed out when I go to say use the vox hide tool. Anyone else having this issue? 

image.thumb.png.61562a77c93af878d1f7cdebe4c7cf42.png

It doesn't happen with the older versions. Thanks all (sorry if someone has already mentioned this, I didn't have time to read through all the pages) 

Edited by Jamie Norton

• Reputable Contributor
52 minutes ago, Jamie Norton said:

guys, not sure if anyone has noticed this, but in this latest beta has all the lasso tools greyed out when I go to say use the vox hide tool. Anyone else having this issue? 

image.thumb.png.61562a77c93af878d1f7cdebe4c7cf42.png

It doesn't happen with the older versions. Thanks all (sorry if someone has already mentioned this, I didn't have time to read through all the pages) 

Andrew and the team did a boat load of refactoring, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is a bug.

• Like 1

Yeah so first off, I love where this is going. Love the new Icons and general clean-up and bug fixes. However, the biggest issue with this version are the missing "Lasso" tools when using Vox-Hide. I use Vox-Hide with various lasso tools all the time so this currently is a big issue. Nice work otherwise! Btw, I've never used the "Sculpt Layers" so how exactly does this work? Couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

5 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Yeah so first off, I love where this is going. Love the new Icons and general clean-up and bug fixes. However, the biggest issue with this version are the missing "Lasso" tools when using Vox-Hide. I use Vox-Hide with various lasso tools all the time so this currently is a big issue. Nice work otherwise! Btw, I've never used the "Sculpt Layers" so how exactly does this work? Couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

Sculpt layers tutorials here. part 1 & 2. You need to turn them on in the preferences as they are still beta. Very cool feature...

On 10/23/2019 at 10:28 PM, carrots said:

Thank you, yes, this is a bug, I have not noticed this before.
I will fix it in the next build.

sidenote:

Try this please. Compare when change values using 2 methods.

1 - dragging from 0 to 100

2 - Double click using LMB over the contrast icon switching from 0 to 100

DRAGGING 0 to 100

drag0.jpgdrag100.jpg

DOUBLE CLICK 0 to 100

DClick0.jpgDClick100.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

none of the tooltips work in the retopo room.

And yes like someone else said difficult to tell what the new icons stand for. Not very intuitive.

Green seams on green mesh in retopo room have become barely visible, no matter the light settings.

Also I don't know if the problem is new or not since this is the first time I spend a significant amount or time doing this, but there are issues with brushing on the uv preview :
It seems that the navigation method is to hold ALT + RMB and then drag with LMB. The problem is that when you do that and you happen to be clicking on geometry (because you are zoomed in and there is nowhere else to click), then you are moving vertices at the same time as panning the view.

The other prolblem is that I think brushing without a selection should be completely disabled :
If you brush without selecting, then you are not only moving vertices on the current uv map, but on all of them at once. So, when you switch the display to a different uv-map, you discover that you have scrambled everything.

@pr1970 Appreciate the link to the video but I think that the video is not exactly a good example. I am still not really sure how this works. Are there any other videos you know of? I looked on Youtube but all the videos are very vague or just too much ramble. I just want a quick video on how this actually works in sculpt room?

• Reputable Contributor

Saving a file after setting the (colour) opacity of the layer that contains vertex colour information for a sculpt object destroys all colour data from the layer.

When you reopen the file, the layer's opacity is back to 100 and all colour is lost.

-------

I wonder, should I continue giving my feedback ? there is no acknoledgement, confirmation, noone says if they can or can't reproduce these things, etc...

• Contributor

Hi, In Surface Mode - Sculpt Room, using the ToothPaste tool and similar tools (muscle and etc), the operation of these tools are causing several holes in the mesh surface.
Holes are created automatically or when you smooth edges to make a better transition from the mesh created by ToothPaste (and other similar tools) with the existing mesh surface.

image.thumb.png.08be45c6ca0c7c6dc09f0f8b7d9112a2.png

• Reputable Contributor
22 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

@pr1970 Appreciate the link to the video but I think that the video is not exactly a good example. I am still not really sure how this works. Are there any other videos you know of? I looked on Youtube but all the videos are very vague or just too much ramble. I just want a quick video on how this actually works in sculpt room?

What exactly is "Ramble?" Does it mean the person is explaining things a person new to 3DCoat would need to know, but not necessarily things an experienced user does? That's the dilemma with trying to please everyone, when showing  how features work. You want to show WHY certain steps are needed, but if you do, invariably some critic will come along and say "JUST GET TO THE F-ING POINT, MAN." Everything stated is for a good reason...not to just ramble. In that "not exactly a good example" the viewer is told ahead of time to skip forward if needed. NEvertheless, there are a few other videos on the topic.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...so, to continue on about the videos for Sculpt Layers, it may seem like "Rambling" to you, but it's only because the fact that Sculpt Layers works on BOTH low poly paint meshes and high poly sculpt meshes, that it seems less than straight forward. It makes it a nightmare to create videos many times, because having different paint platforms for 2 different mesh types = more 'splaining to do...and if you don't explain these things, new users will be left confused.

Thus, the "Rambling" is trying to explain things for NEW USERS, so they can track along with everyone else. If you are an experienced user, you need to have some patience, because new users don't know everything you do.

23 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

Best thing is to just get on and play with it. spend a few hours experimenting, that's what I did and then I went and watched those video clips to understand further.

sculpt layers arnt rocket science. sculpt some details whilst on a layer and the. adjust depth and opacity on the layer.

• Advanced Member
On 10/25/2019 at 8:27 AM, insignet said:

@carrots I'll try to  send a screen shot later, but I'm getting alot of banding on the depth pass. I've raised the samples etc but I can't get a smooth result. Like I say - I'll post an image, just wondered if this was a known issue.

Kinda replying to my own post here regarding the Banding on the Depth Pass. It maybe user error, but here's a screen grab of the problem. Like I say I may have missed something on the setup, but I don't get a smooth transition.

test_d_Depth.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

So I made sure the Sculpt Layer feature is activate in the preferences and such. It does only seem to work when the object is set to "Surface" mode? Is that by design (limitation) or am I missing something?

Yes, sculpting works only in surface mode, just like painting on vertexes, voxel mode now technically does not allow sculpting layers.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 6:19 AM, Mystical said:

I've been having an issue in 4.9.06A, my large 3b file (10.8 GB) crashes the program. In 4.9.04 (the last version I have) loads fine with no issue. I have 64 GB of ram so it shouldn't be a memory issue on my end as 4.9.04 works.

Its appears to load for awhile then I get a crash popup window which looks like the call stack included:

image.thumb.png.e686ad562b4f11d6a591b19758209a25.png

I do hope a crash like this can be resolved, I submitted a report with the bug report pop up. This beta build pretty much blocks me from testing any large project files due to stability.

Side note on the new render section, not sure if its been mentioned before but I don't see an option to choose a custom render size output. The smallest output I have renders all my screens and I cannot just choose a custom value to render one window.

Please rar/zip the scene and send to me. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
47 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please rar/zip the scene and send to me. 

Its a pretty big file even when compressed, do you know of a site that I can host it to send to you? Assuming I will send to you via email as well?

Thanks for the help.