3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

I tried to use 4.9.07 (normally I use 01).
It looks great, but I'm confused by some changes.

Transform Tool: To Center Mass, Align to View etc options.
These options are really important for me and many other users, so I'm not sure why they're gone.

Vox Hide: I no longer have an option to use Lasso Tools. 
Most people use this tool with Lasso Tools, so... this change seem to be a bit odd.

Edit: Ok, now I see that the greyed out Lasso Tools is a known bug.

Edited by Heksagon
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 11/2/2019 at 3:45 AM, philnolan3d said:

This would be really nice. For a lot of my work in 3D scanning I get the object scanned with textures but I may like to have a medium res mesh exported. The problem there is that if bring it into the sculpt room I get low res textures. So I always have to make my scans really high res.

Speaking of 3D Scanning, 3DCoat no longer bakes UV textures onto the Surface mode mesh, when imported into the Sculpt Room. I don't know when it stopped working, but I was trying to show someone who works with 3D Scans, how that is done....but it didn't work. That REALLY, REALLY needs to get fixed ASAP because it is vital to a normal 3D Scan workflow.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
8 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Speaking of 3D Scanning, 3DCoat no longer bakes UV textures onto the Surface mode mesh, when imported into the Sculpt Room. I don't know when it stopped working, but I was trying to show someone who works with 3D Scans, how that is done....but it didn't work. That REALLY, REALLY needs to get fixed ASAP because it is vital to a normal 3D Scan workflow.

3dc never did that !? (bake uv textures onto the surfae mode object).

What it did and still does is import vertex colour in the sculpt room in surface mode.
(I just tested to make sure it still works. tested with .ply)

• Reputable Contributor
25 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

It does import the textures into the vertex colors, I actually just did it. But you have to uncheck the Voxelize box in the Import tool options.

Oh wow yes it does....
All this time I thought it didn't. Thank you.

At first my scans just wouldn't import with colour (I was trying to import vertex colour, but they did also have textures).
I guess the textures were just not properly assigned in the mesh file for 3dc to recognize.

I tried just now with textures assigned in Blender, and no vertex colour, and it did work.

However, this doesn't change anything for me, because I still have to subdivide the mesh before import, which is what takes a lot of time in Blender, if you want enough vertices to hold the information you need.

It has to be done before importing to 3dc, because as soon as you subdivide in the import tool options, 3dc doesn't convert the textures to vertex colour, from the tests I did just now.
Also, the importer smoothes the mesh when you subdivide.

• Contributor
3 hours ago, lesaint said:

Oh wow yes it does....
All this time I thought it didn't. Thank you.

At first my scans just wouldn't import with colour (I was trying to import vertex colour, but they did also have textures).
I guess the textures were just not properly assigned in the mesh file for 3dc to recognize.

I tried just now with textures assigned in Blender, and no vertex colour, and it did work.

However, this doesn't change anything for me, because I still have to subdivide the mesh before import, which is what takes a lot of time in Blender, if you want enough vertices to hold the information you need.

It has to be done before importing to 3dc, because as soon as you subdivide in the import tool options, 3dc doesn't convert the textures to vertex colour, from the tests I did just now.
Also, the importer smoothes the mesh when you subdivide.

Are you baking any AO layers and working in 8-16k?  If yes do you see artifacts? I've set the AO layer to emission and lowered the background lighting/image. I've seen them appear on the seams.

• Confused 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

It does import the textures into the vertex colors, I actually just did it. But you have to uncheck the Voxelize box in the Import tool options.

I's not working on my end, and I made sure to uncheck Voxel. I deleted the Options.xml file and re-installed. I tried older versions and nothing worked.

4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I's not working on my end, and I made sure to uncheck Voxel. I deleted the Options.xml file and re-installed. I tried older versions and nothing worked.

You may have to actually check the box, not uncheck it. I think it actually says "Do not Voxelize". I may have misremembered it.

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

You may have to actually check the box, not uncheck it. I think it actually says "Do not Voxelize". I may have misremembered it.

After some further testing, it sometimes does work and sometimes it doesn't. Trying to pinpoint why it doesn't sometimes.

Can anyone confirm that rendered images aren't written to the hard drive in version 4.9.0.7 OS: win10 pro. All I get is an empty folder here: "C:\Users\xxx\Documents\3D-CoatV49\RenderedImages\emptyfolder"   that I named by hand - thinking I was naming my image. Please confirm. I would actually like to render stuff in 3DCoat.

Edited by yoohasz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yoohasz said:

Can anyone confirm that rendered images aren't written to the hard drive in version 4.9.0.7 OS: win10 pro. All I get is an empty folder here: "C:\Users\xxx\Documents\3D-CoatV49\RenderedImages\emptyfolder"   that I named by hand - thinking I was naming my image. Please confirm. I would actually like to render stuff in 3DCoat.

Thank you for message!
Yes, this error appeared in version 4.9.07 and will be fixed in the next update.
Now you can overwrite these files in the folder where you installed 3DCoat, and writing to the file will work again
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://drive.google.com/open?id%3D1WIBsLjKVFX46n1ewIVMIvbuNHIj229b1&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1573065649213000&usg=AFQjCNEy-D8HmFrVydTi5n5rKrXJZzpEUQ

By default, you need to copy these files to the folder:
‪C:\Program Files\3DCoat-V4.9.07

• Like 1

• Contributor
On 10/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, carrots said:

Thanks, I will test it.

UV creation is still broken in V 4.9.07     How to do a simple test: creating new ppp project select the sphere, use max subdivision, full smoothing, textures set to 16K.

Once loaded bake an AO layer with default settings. Once the layer is finished, set the AO layer's blending type to "use as emissive" in order to see the artifacts.  I've tried setting Anti-aliasing to 4x and 3DCoat crashed. I have 1 RTX 2080 Ti and two GTX 970s  with an i7 and 32 GB of ram.. GB of HD and still  3DCoat doesn't seem to be working correctly. Be sure to use automapping because your default models already have UVs likely created from older 3DCoat with same broken UV creation.  I've also manually tried creating UVs.  I don't think it's the UV creation's fault specifically but it could be the subdivision process -perhaps the UVs need to be scaled at specific subdivision levels.   The reason why I think it maybe more about subdivision is that even Zbrush UV creation and painting  with subdivision works fine as well as creating displacement maps.

Anyway click on the sphere and look closely, you will see black tracks. These are along the UV seam and create spike when painting with displacement and the texture used has no spikes.

image.thumb.png.9da61f65d50e3dfbd1b194d52ef46256.png

Edited by Ascensi
update -more info
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, carrots said:

Thank you for message!
Yes, this error appeared in version 4.9.07 and will be fixed in the next update.
Now you can overwrite these files in the folder where you installed 3DCoat, and writing to the file will work again
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://drive.google.com/open?id%3D1WIBsLjKVFX46n1ewIVMIvbuNHIj229b1&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1573065649213000&usg=AFQjCNEy-D8HmFrVydTi5n5rKrXJZzpEUQ

Wow! Thanks for the quick response as a token of my appreciation here is my printscreen of the awesome SSS that the 3Dcoat renderer produces, that is why it's important to have it working (for me at least).

image.thumb.png.c325e93a4e099a5c74d08686c72abea9.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, carrots said:

Thank you for message!

Thanks, that solved my problem.

• Like 1

Hi. I noticed a problem creating new material. When I want to add a new layer of material, I don't see any option buttons. I can't create material from multiple layers. Is this just my problem. Did I not read something after the changes? Please help. Best regards.

problem3DCoat.jpg

Edited by wlokaz

19 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

@wlokaz  Bug Confirmed

W przypadku niektórych starych inteligentnych materiałów: Opcja podglądu> Wybierz z aparatu, aby Podgląd zniknął.

Maybe I did not express myself well. The point is that there is no "Add layer" when creating content. In 4.9.05 it is - as in the attached picture. I don't see another "Add layer" option in 4.9.07

problem3DCoat2.jpg

problem3DCoat3.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yoohasz said:

Wow! Thanks for the quick response as a token of my appreciation here is my printscreen of the awesome SSS that the 3Dcoat renderer produces, that is why it's important to have it working (for me at least).

image.thumb.png.c325e93a4e099a5c74d08686c72abea9.png

That looks really great. :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I hope  Tweak room is refurbished as soon as possible.  it has many issue.

or, I hope they make a new room instead of Tweak room.

I heard that Tweak room is removed on Mantis .

dear developers of 3D-coat,  development thank you .