3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor

New cloth tool is.... such a huge step forward compared to what it was before!

one small issue : 3dc has trained me to Shift+click to smooth.
With cloth tool, Shift+click smoothes the current vox layer, not the cloth being simulated. Could that be changed ?

Also, could someone please tell me what are the default gravity/friction/roughness/stretchness values ? I have played with them without thinking to take note of the default.
and I don't want to reset all 3dc just for that.
Thanks.

20 minutes ago, lesaint said:

With cloth tool, Shift+click smoothes the current vox layer, not the cloth being simulated. Could that be changed ?

Also, could someone please tell me what are the default gravity/friction/roughness/stretchness values ? I have played with them without thinking to take note of the default.
Thanks.

Thanks!

Def stretchness is 0. Gravity 1. Friction 0.5

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Thanks.

Add new empty volume (anyway it is helpful at the end), start simulation. Then SHIFT will work over the cloth. 

But of course, I will fix, it should not smooth the mesh.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
25 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Add new empty volume (anyway it is helpful at the end), start simulation. Then SHIFT will work over the cloth. 

But of course, I will fix, it should not smooth the mesh.

I'd tend to use a new layer, yes, but I would use the copy tool to put some voxels in it where I want the cloth to "stick to current object".

• Contributor
7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

On my tests it works. When it happens? Or always on your side?

It works when I tried it just now but I can't get any materials to apply after doing the sole with 'rubber'.2020-02-19_1213.thumb.png.71dab509c37fc20e3bb71f37eedd38dd.png

The Freeze tool works but no color can be applied.

• Contributor

Boots.3bBoots.3b

11 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

On my tests it works. When it happens? Or always on your side?

It works when I tried it just now but I can't get any materials to apply after doing the sole with 'rubber'.2020-02-19_1213.thumb.png.71dab509c37fc20e3bb71f37eedd38dd.png

The Freeze tool works but no color can be applied.

16.02.20 4.9.26 [beta]

- Save/Load layers with attached materials restored.

- Correct work of Strips in BaseBrush derivatives. "Stitches" brush as an example.

- The correct job of spline stroke, run brush along the curve with strips.

- Fixed problem of general symmetry and new brushing system.

- "On plane" constraints accessible in the Retopo room.

I very hope this build should be very close to stable.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

encountered some very strange bugs. in 4.9.26

- the baking was weird for only one obj in the scene (shading was off),

``` was not copy and pasted UVs.

``` checked the thickness of the sculpt obj

``` recreate the retopo mesh

``` solution : was to change the shader material in sculpt room (?)

- suddenly cant floodfill smart material to the obj in paint room

``` solution : had to change to another material before able to do so (?)

- freeze tool in paint room, cant do "simple polygon" stroke.

• Advanced Member

deleting an edge in retopo room with mirror symmetry on, will not delete the edge on other side.

edit : to add on

selecting faces of one side and "move selected faces to current layer"(aka to another layer) doesnt mirror. Is it by design?

Edited by pickers

• Contributor
1 hour ago, sprayer said:

Can somebody check Copy Clay? It doesn't work for me

I've been commenting here for a long time that Copy Clay (which would be one of the most powerful tools in 3d-coat) doesn't work.

Unfortunately and with great sadness I say that this tool has long been forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a problem that has been in 3DC ever since Surface Mode was invented. If you start with voxels, then convert to Surface you're stuck with these ridge lines all over your mesh that are very difficult or impossible to smooth, causing the whole mesh to be bumpy.  In this screenshot you can still see them even after using Clean Mesh and a lot of brushing with the Clean tool. I would love to see this addressed.

mesh_ridges.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
52 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

This is a problem that has been in 3DC ever since Surface Mode was invented. If you start with voxels, then convert to Surface you're stuck with these ridge lines all over your mesh that are very difficult or impossible to smooth, causing the whole mesh to be bumpy.  In this screenshot you can still see them even after using Clean Mesh and a lot of brushing with the Clean tool. I would love to see this addressed.

no amount of brushing will get rid of it, imho.

Best start higher resolution than you need so that you can do this :
Decimate > Clean surface

That should get rid of it.

if not, create a duplicate.
repeat the operation decimate > clean surface on the duplicate until you get rid of it (don't worry about losing detail)

then, when you have managed to get rid of it by repeating this process, subdivide until you have enough polygons to capture the details of the original.

Then, use the reproject tool on the new, clean copy, to recapture the detail of the original.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

mesh_ridges.jpg

Are you getting this even after hitting ENTER (Basically DYNAMESH, to make the whole mesh uniform)

Hitting Enter at what point?

After reading the previous post I did manage to clean it up by switching back to voxels at a very high res (like 8x compared to 1.5k) and using the Smooth brush at 100%, no pen pressure, small enough to not destroy the main details. Once the lumps were gone I switched back to Surface and decimated.

• Reputable Contributor
21 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Hitting Enter at what point?

After reading the previous post I did manage to clean it up by switching back to voxels at a very high res (like 8x compared to 1.5k) and using the Smooth brush at 100%, no pen pressure, small enough to not destroy the main details. Once the lumps were gone I switched back to Surface and decimated.

Whenever you mesh issues like that. Try to hit ENTER, which voxelizes and switches back to Surface mode with a uniform distribution of polygons. It's the very same thing as using Dynamesh in ZBrush. It I saw lumps like that, it would be the first thing I would try.

Good to know

5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Whenever you mesh issues like that. Try to hit ENTER, which voxelizes and switches back to Surface mode with a uniform distribution of polygons. It's the very same thing as using Dynamesh in ZBrush. It I saw lumps like that, it would be the first thing I would try.

Good to know.

• Advanced Member

umm...Closed spline mode doesn't fill in the spline.

it looks like simple spline mode.  it is drawn along the spline.

I want to know how to fill in spline.

freeze.gif

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, jene said:

freeze.gif

It's not been working properly since the Refactoring builds. I told Andrew about this twice. Maybe you can send this to him, via email (support@3dcoat.com) to add more priority to getting it fixed? He told me to RMB choose Fill w/ Freeze, but that is not the default action of the spline. It works properly in 4.9.05. 

• Reputable Contributor
15 hours ago, jene said:

freeze.gif

...Scratch that last post. Andrew said the fix should be in the next build. He already fixed it, but it wasn't posted in the latest public build. Should be in the next few days.