3DCoat Forums

How 3d coat manage extended texture and UV layout?

tokikake

• Advanced Member

Hi usually I keep UV dimension,  in each UV set or arrange as UDIM manner,:mellow:

but there is case, I hope to use small resolution image then  repeat to  get huge wall or rope etc, but keep detail bump or symbol etc, though it just repeated)

like this pic,, (Just example,)

extendedUV.thumb.JPG.a381acf11f23d13846d0d548176831fd.JPG

How 3d coat manage these extended (flow over UV 1 units range,) ?  or what workflow can I choose to paint these mesh with UV in 3d coat?

(eg paint diffuse and normal texture like the way, in 3d coat,,  or import those mesh with texture and keep UVlayout, then modify them,,)

.I suppose,  it can be done with PBR mateirlal editor (just set cordinate as UV then repeat. ,,(I think it is default), , but can I unwrap such way in 3d coat , then paint texture

without any issue?  why I ask it, 3d coat  complain, when I import such mesh with uv.. (3d coat recommend me, to unwrap again, or auto- unwrap, then arrange UV in unit)

Hi

You mean uDims ?

3DC has no true internal UDIM tiling creation like Maya or similar applications.

You can import UDIM as tiles " Import Tiles as uv sets"  3DC will create a UV set for each tile.

When exporting choose, " Export UV sets as Tiles" and they will be put back in a tiling order.

• Advanced Member

Hi carlosan, no it is not UDIM.  it is just UV unwrap, but I intend to be out of range from one UV tile.(texture size) to use repeat (or extended)

it cause no problem when render.  

But when I import these mesh which have UV island out of range , to modify materials, , 3d coat usually infrom , like that,

uvsetinform.thumb.JPG.2c84ed51bb4f8b1f0df7b2a4ec4dce0a.JPG

Then 3d coat seerms auto set UV map typing, as Auto mapping of import dialogue (in paint room)

Though I can force to import with keep UV set, but  I feel if it is not supprt officially. actually 3d coat FPS down hard. 

(though I suspect, 3d coat try to paint  repeatedly , then may cause issue,)

And  is there way to change scale about U and V direction, with preview options when cordinate = UV-mapping, with smart material and stencil? 

I hope to adjust only U or V  scale  to set pattern precisely with use smart material. but when projection type = UV map,

But when projection type = UV, I could  only adjust full scale. (can not scale vertically or holizontially) 

Is there any option, which can change U and V scale for projection?  usually we can tweak UV with see render, but it is difficult about 3d coat.

90461855_uvadjustscale.thumb.JPG.8563a78781c750c12e705d8a13b02305.JPG

(I need to change room to tweak UV, so  I suppose there should be way to adjust UV scale for U and V direction only...  )

There is noway to change scale about U and V direction, with preview options when cordinate = UV-mapping, with smart material and stencil.

Sorry.

Feel free to add a +1

0000788: Import multi tiles as UVset option when importing a Retopo mesh

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=788

• Advanced Member

I see. thanks you confirm. :)

change U and V direction, texture scale with UV-mapping  cordinate is important future, and it need preview to adjust precisely (or it not show good material  for tiling)

And I understand why 3d coat inform, to unwrap and not tile many, but I think there should be way not lost peformance drastically.

eg  only render, the selction currently colored as PBR, but repeated parts render more simply.(only show  appearance as non color  etc)

• Like 1