3DCoat Forums

Normal Map Seams

dexsoft

I am using simple rock in sculpt room, then I apply Autopo with instant meshes.

Then I make UV maps.

When I want to bake normals whatever settings I use I am getting normal map seams on UV islands. Very Ugly.

Is it something in bake settings. Am I doing something wrong :( ?

I tried different baking options, always same ugly seams on mesh.

Can you give me simple settings for good bake. Simple rock in sculpt room, I make retopo with some 2000 polygons, then UV by hand or automatic seams and bake.

THis rock goes to unity and there are also seams visible

normalMaps.thumb.jpg.8e9f4f2ca770bf87115507ce5b8d89d2.jpg

Edited by dexsoft

I was seeing your model and unfortunately the original already has those marked edges, it is not a problem of shader or bake.
You would have to soften the parts where the cuts are seen and detail more the edges. It is a job to perform in sculpt room before baking it to paint room.

Paint.jpg

Original.jpg

Exactly.

Baking is the process of creating textures from one mesh to another, or from one texture map to another, with different UVs. The Baking tools in 3D-Coat allow you to bake a number of different ways:

• From a Sculpt Object to a Retopo Object
  • From a Paint Object to a Retopo Object
  • With Texture Baker to Retopo Mesh
  • With Texture Baker to mesh file externally from 3D-Coat

Baking will create a depth map (or color, spec, etc. if you are baking from a Paint Object) based on the delta from the original to the target mesh.

I just pointed out that i used simple rock in sculpt room, made automatic uv and bake with simple baker from sculpt to retopo mesh and no matter what setting I use I get visible seams on normal map where uv islands edges are.

When I used green clay shader i got fewer seams. After that i smoothed sculpt mesh and that too lowered number of visible seams.

I think one good idea would be to give us one perfect material for baking so we use that not to get any seams. Why we need to experiment for such a basic things like simple bake.

I really love 3dcoat and I am using it now more than 3-4 years.

I think it is best software for 3d painting.