3DCoat Forums

How to sculpt to real world size

XCOTT

I did some searching and didn’t see what I thought I was looking for. The conversations went a bit deep for this user, for what I thought should straight forward.

I just got a 3D printer(Flashforge Finder). I have a few years of professional experience(although I’ve been away for a few years) but am new to this program and 3D printing.

I want set my scale in inches, work on a 1:1 scale in 3DCP and(if possible) save in a format that will go into the printer  SW retaining that info. 

I would’ve thought this was would be a done deal, but I can’t tell if it’s so easy it’s right under my nose or somehow still unresolved.

I’m trying to create objects that will combine with existing physical objects. ATM the only method I have is to start a print and cross my fingers.

Any help would be appreciated. Mahalos!

Honestly I'm trying to figure this out in the full 3DC myself. I just got a 3D printer (Longer3D Orange10) and used the 3DC measure tool to scale my model to 3" tall. When I imported it to the printer software it was really tiny, only a few millimeters.

That is exactly the same for me. I sorted using the ruler(somewhat) and made a 3” object. I thought the STL format might retain the dimensions but it goes in tiny(and on it’s side). My printer software lets me set dimensions but only in metric. It has an inches/mm toggle but the measurements still show as mm. Shrug. I’m about to do a print to see if it’s accurate.

I just finished my print a few minutes ago (7 hours long!) but since it was super tiny I just scaled it up manually in the slicer. I wasn't too concerned with exact sizes for this one so I just eye balled it. It would be nice for something that I do need to be exact size though.

Hi 

Before begin working i check Geometry > Define Measurement units and Edit Scene Scale (0, 0, 0, 1)

I create a cube (suposse 1x1x1m) and if any doubt I export it to another app to check if dimensions are correct (using 4.9.04 it is).

• Like 1

source... 

SlipperyBrick

You can define measurements when sculpting for a scene, there is also a 2D grid you can use in orthographic mode (it is extremely fiddly though and pretty much unusable if you are going for specific measurements, it's mainly a guide for snapping straight or diagonal tool operations). 

You can create primitive shapes at whatever size you like based off of the defined measurements of the scene, 3D Coat is a voxel sculpting program so essentially every shape you create will have actual depth (unlike polygon modelling software). When you define your measurements to start sculpting you have the ability to define the unit of measurement (mm, cm, feet, inches), a value of measurement for each voxel per unit, and the unit scale. This will adjust your grid accordingly and any primitives you then place in your scene you can choose their size based off of the values you decided to use when defining your measurements.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...