3DCoat Forums

Bug with space mouse movement?

Innovine

• Advanced Member

My SpaceMouse Pro has not felt right since i switched to 4.9.   Right now, the camera seems to move very slowly on the 3d coat world Z axis. when in Perspective mode. It moves ok on the other axis. The movement speeds in the SpaceMouse settings, and the modulation rates in the 3d coat preferences are all set the same. Any suggestion why it seems about 10 times too slow to move on the world Z axis, and only when in Perspective? It is fine in Orthographic.

Edited by Innovine

• Reputable Contributor

I would try to update the 3DConnexion drivers. Mine is working just fine with 4.9. No difference. I think the 3dx drivers can be a bit wonky at times. Half the time when I put my PC to sleep overnight and start back up in the morning, I cannot see all my button assignments on the device. Once in a while, it will be completely blacked out, and the only recourse is restarting my PC or unplugging the device and plugging it back in.

So, I think the issue is on the device side.

• Advanced Member

Might be, but I haven't noticed any issues with it in Unity or Blender. And besides, I don't think the device knows whether I'm in perspective or orthographic mode :/

Without restarting, I tested 3d coat 4.8 and it worked OK. I then restarted my computer and it works in 4.9 OK...

Edited by Innovine

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Innovine said:

Do you notice in general that the camera movement in Perspective mode is slower than in Orthographic?

No, I haven't noticed any difference. In general, it works as well as it ever has. Blender's implementation is the one that gives me fits. I feel like I have to wrestle with Blender to orbit around properly. The is no object rotational center and that is one reason why.

• Reputable Contributor
Just now, AbnRanger said:

No, I haven't noticed any difference. In general, it works as well as it ever has. Blender's implementation is the one that gives me fits. I feel like I have to wrestle with Blender to orbit around properly. The is no object rotational center and that is one reason why.

In 3DCoat, change your rotational center (from the Camera list Menu, next to the Navigation bar at the top right, above of the viewport) to FROM CURSOR, when sculpting in Perspective. When you switch to Orthographic view, switch to FROM OBJECT BOUNDING BOX. That will center you model up each time you switch to a different camera view, and keep the position consistent in the viewport.

• Advanced Member

Not what i mean... Even without rotation, the movement is much faster in Orthographic. I think it is not using the distance to the model. For the same panning input, it does not matter where the model is, if it is near or far, it will move from one side of the screen to another with the same amount of input pressure. This is experienced as more rapid panning motion the further away the object is. In Perspective, it takes more and more panning input to move the model the further from the camera it gets. This feels natural.  I am not talking about rotation at all.

There's also no FROM CURSOR option..? Did you mean "rotation around current pick point" ?

Edited by Innovine